• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

first time riding out west, gear questions, help !

J
Nov 26, 2016
Hey folks, lifetime snowmobiler from upstate NY. My friends and I have booked a trip the first week of March with Burandts back country adventures.
My questions are about riding gear, I'm purchasing new pants jacket gloves and helmet. I plan on using my Klim adrenaline boots. I want to try the Mission X jacket and Renegade X pants from FXR. The helmet I would like is the 509 carbon fiber altitude. Id like to hear opinions from experienced mountain riders, good choices ?? Gloves?? I need advice, I want to make this trip awesome so thanks in advance...........Jason

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
The key to riding the mountains is layering.

Your coat and bibs should be a non insulated shell that os waterproof, and breathable.

Your base layer (next to skin) should be a wool, or synthetic product that is moisture wicking. NEVER COTTON!!!

Your mid layer, or insulation layer, should be fleece. Vests work great, as do fleece pants. Most of the time, unless it is 0 out, my insulation layer lives in my backpack, for the ride home to the truck.

Socks, wool, or synthetic. NEVER COTTON

Ace

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
I wouldn't worry too much about insulation if you're going riding with Chris, you'll be plenty warm digging your sled out. :face-icon-small-hap

As Ace said, your outer layer should have NO insulation, the exception would be a little on the butt. You can always add layers underneath to get warmer and riding off trail generates a lot of heat. Most days I'm riding in my thin first layer and shell layer. If I get cold, a fleece middle layer is all I need. Under Armor is fine for a base layer, the 1.0 or 2.0 weight is probably ideal for sledding.

The Altitude helmet is fine, they run a little big though so try them on before you buy your usual size. Gloves, single layer palms make for much better grip. If you find a pair you like, buy two or three and rotate through them as they get wet. A dry pair of gloves when it's time to go back to the truck at the end of the day is awesome.

The biggest thing that will ruin your day gear wise is fogged goggles. Like gloves, bring multiple pairs. Having a few lenses to adapt to light conditions is helpful as well. Wearing your goggles while you're digging out a sled will screw you most of the time too, take off your helmet and grab a hat out of your bag if you're going to dig.

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
Agree with everyone else so far, Under Armor, Gore Tex shell etc... biggest thing to make your trip fun is to GET YOUR AZZ IN SHAPE! I see it all the time when I guide "flatlanders". The combo of the very high exertion level and high elevation really wipe out people. They usually do okay the first day and then are so tired and sore by the second day that they don't really have any fun. So, for you, traveling that far I would make sure that you are in as good of shape as you can be so you really get to enjoy your ride. Oh yeah, take lots of pics, that's an epic trip in the making.

J
Nov 26, 2016
Guys all I can say is thanks for the great Info and please keep it coming! I want this trip to be a home run lol
As far as being in shape, I'm a competitive Crossfit athelete, and I also do ironman . my only concern is that ive lived my entire life(age 37) at 1200 to 1500 feet here in upstate NY. I have been doing rope climbs with a breath restrictive mask to make sure my lung capacity and strength are on point. Any other suggestions?

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
^Lol, yeah I think you'll be fine!
Agree with above.
Base layer, waterproof shell and a removable mid layer top n bottom for 90% of days.
Super cold, bring a second fleece, wool shirt etc.
1 pair heavy gloves for riding out end of day or an O sh!t scenario and 2-3 pairs of lightweight gloves for all day. No matter what they'll get wet from over the bars pow and digging out.
Wool socks, bring a spare pair w you. Get a Costco pack of wool socks. They'll last you forever and as good as any high dollar sock.

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
If you can spend a day in around Denver first before heading to B.V were Chris lives that will help a little with getting acclimated to the elevation. Water, water & water. Start drinking a fair amount as your heading to CO. Take antacids (rolaids/tums) at 2 to 3 tablets every 6 hours also helps with altitude sickness.

As others said layer your outerwear & nothing insulated. Minimum 2 pairs gloves & googles.

I rode with Chris back in 06 when he was just starting the guide thing. Had a blast. I have friend that lives in Twin Lakes that's close to were Chris rides a lot. Some great terrain but it is high in elevation so you get tired that's for sure. A lot of riding over 10K.

J
Nov 26, 2016
Guys thanks again for the good info, I'm super excited for this trip!!
What about Goggles, two pair, one clear and one tint?
Boots, I have a brand new pair of Klim adrenaline. Any thoughts?

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
You have a lot of good advise here. I currently have minus 33 brand inner layer clothing, and Smart Wool socks. All of my outer clothing is Motorfist. If it hasn't been mentioned yet, I also carry a bomber hat, extra balaclava, and a few clean rags in my jacket pocket to wipe my googles off it they get wet.
Outside the recommended safety gear and safety training, I also carry Gatorade, water, water proof matches, 2" sealed candle, a little toilet paper, snickers, jerky, folding saw, high quality knife, small flash light, compass. Some of this may sound silly but on occasion people have gotten separated and had to spend the night. I personally was with a group of people when at one time three of them got separated from the rest of us and no one new where they went. They ended up spending the night in a bowl during a snow storm. They were found the next morning cold but other wise okay.

Last edited:
J
Nov 26, 2016
You have a lot of good advise here. I currently have minus 33 brand inner layer clothing, and Smart Wool socks. All of my outer clothing is Motorfist. If it hasn't been mentioned yet, I also carry a bomber hat, extra balaclava, and a few clean rags in my jacket pocket to wipe my googles off it they get wet.
Outside the recommended safety gear and safety training, I also carry Gatorade, water, water proof matches, 2" sealed candle, a little toilet paper, snickers, jerky, folding saw, high quality knife, small flash light, compass. Some of this may sound silly but on occasion people have gotten separated and had to spend the night. I personally was with a group of people when at one time three of them got separated from the rest of us and no one new where they went. They ended up spending the night in a bowl during a snow storm. They were found the next morning cold but other wise okay.
Yes I have bought a back pack with a shovel,saw, prove and built in water resivoir. I plan on adding some emergencey supplies as well

L

Lopsangsherpa

Dec 24, 2015
Colorado
Yes I have bought a back pack with a shovel,saw, prove and built in water resivoir. I plan on adding some emergencey supplies as well

That camelback you have will last about 12 minutes before the straw tube freezes up. Find them useless, better off with a bottle of some type in the backpack or under seat bag. You have a pretty good list and the right attitude.

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
Guys thanks again for the good info, I'm super excited for this trip!!
What about Goggles, two pair, one clear and one tint?
Boots, I have a brand new pair of Klim adrenaline. Any thoughts?

Get two pairs of goggles that have interchangeable lenses so you can have a similar lens in each pair, when you swap goggles you'll still have the appropriate lens. Clear lenses are pretty much useless for anything but night riding. You'll want something for flat/low light, a yellow/orange/rose to give some definition to the snow, and something that will keep you from going blind if it's sunny, a gray/brown.

Your boots are great.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Guys all I can say is thanks for the great Info and please keep it coming! I want this trip to be a home run lol
As far as being in shape, I'm a competitive Crossfit athelete, and I also do ironman . my only concern is that ive lived my entire life(age 37) at 1200 to 1500 feet here in upstate NY. I have been doing rope climbs with a breath restrictive mask to make sure my lung capacity and strength are on point. Any other suggestions?

You could consider getting a diamox Rx to help you acclimate faster. Obviously you will probably be fine without it, but it may help if you cannot follow the advice above^ and stay in Denver for a night(which would be ideal). I imagine Burandt's place is probably at 10k in elevation no? Might be a lot to go from 1,500 to 10,000 in one day. I would imagine your doctor wouldn't have an issue with writing the Rx for 3 or 4 days assuming you don't have a sulfa allergy. Could also try Ginkgo biloba extract. I've heard that it can help too though it isn't well understood why and studies don't show benefit.

Also, unfortunately those breath restrictive masks don't help in regards to simulating high altitude oxygen levels. But if you already have a lot of cardiovascular endurance you should be OK in that regard.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
First thing is to deal with the altitude and less O2. I've ridden in the mountains with a guy who was in great shape and he was toast 3/4 day through. Lot's of water and don't be afraid of good carbs to keep the energy up. Don't use a closed helmet because it's tougher to breath in and Chris will make fun of you!

Gear is all dependent on money. Klim or Motorfist is by far the best gear. FXR is good from what I hear but doesn't last long and isn't as waterproof. As others said, make sure you layer. It will be cold when you leave the truck but you will be warm quick when you guys start playing. I wear very lightweight gloves and carry medium weight and super warm mittens just in case.

Chris is a great guy. Fun to be around and really down to earth. He will challenge you hard but he backs it up with his skill. His guys are young but very talented. The lodge is sweet, have a great time when you get here to Colorado.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Riding trails and a little boondocking in the east is generally going to be more cold than riding in the mountains.
You'll be hot and sweaty while you ride.
DON'T OVER-DRESS.

Take extra goggles.
Have a google warmer bag under the hood. :)
When you do stop, put your goggles under the hood and set them on top the spark plugs for five or ten minutes.

Don't overload your backpack. You'll hate it after a couple hours.

Last edited:
O
Nov 27, 2007
Kamloops
Goggles

I run sinister X5 goggles now but have tried several other brands. I sweat like crazy and always had issues with fogging goggles, I purchased a breath deflector from Doo that mounts into my helmet, that made a HUGE difference with my fogging issue. I also have learnt to take a layer of clothing off once up top then put it back on for the ride back down makes a big difference in getting rid of the sweat. Your new helmet may already come with a breath deflector so you'll be way ahead of what I've been using for 20 some years lol.
Oh, I also use performance (Underarmour) gotch as well! Used to rock regular cotton underwear and my butt would freeze, so add that to your layers of clothing.
Gloves, same as what others have said use heavy ones for the ride up and down and lighter for riding.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I do have non cotton underwear. Bought it at Target. In the winter sports world, cotton is your enemy.

Premium Features