• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First ride… no good

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
My 154 300 lx has very little vibration fwiw.

I wonder if the 165 is molded poorly?

Blown belt makes me think flat spots on secondary rollers. (Bog also)

Something is definitely wrong.
One of the rollers appears to be shot… other one not so bad, but will replace.

… why are they shot immediately? Would this have anything to do with my vibration?

Should I replace with factory or is there a better option?

06DDC217-CAA7-41A3-B5A1-93EAE50EA38A.jpeg

Spud's SE

Premium Member
Nov 17, 2021
Minnesota
Just my opinion, extremely short belt life is caused by excessive heat, like you said, clutches were hot. There’s too much drag from your vibration. If you have rollers going already it’s another sign you have trouble with the track rubbing. Take a look at your sled with the idea in mind of how compressed your suspension can be. Elevate the sled look at the tunnel. Look at your drivers turn the track. Watch the edges of your track by the tunnel from the back end, and rotate track. Maybe the track was not trimmed enough or it’s uneven. Do you have another set of eyes that can look at it? Sometimes that’s all it takes to see an issue. You’ll figure it out.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Just my opinion, extremely short belt life is caused by excessive heat, like you said, clutches were hot. There’s too much drag from your vibration. If you have rollers going already it’s another sign you have trouble with the track rubbing. Take a look at your sled with the idea in mind of how compressed your suspension can be. Elevate the sled look at the tunnel. Look at your drivers turn the track. Watch the edges of your track by the tunnel from the back end, and rotate track. Maybe the track was not trimmed enough or it’s uneven. Do you have another set of eyes that can look at it? Sometimes that’s all it takes to see an issue. You’ll figure it out.
Trim is perfect, was done by tracks usa on their machine. I cannot find a rub anywhere. Every part of the track looks brand new yet, edges, lugs, drive nubs, drive windows, inside of the belt. I feel like any sort of a rub would pretty obvious.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I just received my TRS alignment bar. Front of the secondary was sitting just over .150" from the bar. Leadin seems excessive at .110". Float now set to 0.022".

New rollers and heavier weights are supposed to be here on Thursday.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
New rollers in the secondary, aligned, and back together. It seems better but still far from right. It’s gonna go to the dealer, I’ll let them figure it out. It definitely feels like a clutch issue, not a track issue.

Here’s a pic of my deflection-

948575C2-1E43-40E7-85B5-5C825A71CA0A.jpeg

powwow

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
East Kootenay
New rollers in the secondary, aligned, and back together. It seems better but still far from right. It’s gonna go to the dealer, I’ll let them figure it out. It definitely feels like a clutch issue, not a track issue.

That's alot of balancing holes. How many are on that clutch?

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Makes me wonder if something's screwy with the castings. Not that it should necessarily be an issue if it's machined and balanced properly, but needing that much metal removed for balancing indicates it didn't start off straight and square. I might ask for a new secondary, but who knows if you'd get anything better.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
That’s called less weight it has to be better heard the crankshaft looks just like that.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
The massive amount of balance drilling is in part due to the missing deflection screw.

Notice the holes drilled are all opposite the deflection screw location.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010

Just called the dealer..."alignment was out of spec" sooo I assume I'm still gonna have issues and I'm now back to Polaris alignment.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Put the stock track back in it & try that.
I'd love to.... LOL but I sold it within a few hours of buying the new track ? Won't be doing that again, I just did not expect to have issues.

Frustrated at this point. Not sure how to handle it. If its the track thats effed up it should be warrantied... but its been trimmed so I assume that is out of the question.

I might just sell the track and convert the sled to a 155 X3, I would prefer a 155 anyway (bought the 165 mid season, I decided I wanted a new sled that day and it was all the dealer had- another fugg up on my end). Not sure I feel right about selling the track to somebody, not really sure if its good or not.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
It's a really bizarre deal. I'm no mechanic, but I've also done all my own wrenching for the last 15 years. Changed plenty of tracks and messed with clutches periodically. Never had a sled act the way this one does and not have a blatantly obvious issue.

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
I'd love to.... LOL but I sold it within a few hours of buying the new track ? Won't be doing that again, I just did not expect to have issues.

Frustrated at this point. Not sure how to handle it. If its the track thats effed up it should be warrantied... but its been trimmed so I assume that is out of the question.

I might just sell the track and convert the sled to a 155 X3, I would prefer a 155 anyway (bought the 165 mid season, I decided I wanted a new sled that day and it was all the dealer had- another fugg up on my end). Not sure I feel right about selling the track to somebody, not really sure if its good or not.

Yeah I have a feeling if you take it to the dealer the first thing they will tell you is the same thing I said. Until stock track is back on they probably wont even want to bother looking at it unfortunately.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Just got it home, rode it. Same.

Seems to be the belt slipping in the secondary.

Have a 3" powerclaw, avid driver, and ice age khaos rails on the way. Will find out if its a track issue I guess. I realize put a stock track on would be the correct thing to do, but they are like $1700 and hard to find from what I was told. There is no reason the setup I ordered shouldn't work just fine... buuut the same could be said about the setup I currently have.

Premium Features