• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Engine oil drains out the oil sump on Nytro

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
This is a very old thread but I am having a leaking oil problem. While climbing a steep hill last week under boost the sled came all the way up and over on top of me and was unside down for at least five minutes and I lost almost a liter of oil. Does anybody have pics of this catch can and what is involved in getting it hooked up so the sled can still breath?

S

SNAFU

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary
I have found a different solution to the catch can. There is a kit that includes a tether and shut off valve. If the tether is pulled, the engine will quit, and the valve on the oil tank breather line will close. The valve is fail open in case there is some kind of failure in the system. When the valve is closed, a LED comes on. This will also be handy in those cases where you want to roll your sled over to get it unstuck. Just turn the key to the run position, and pull the tether to close the valve. I have attached a picture of the kit. It looks like a really nice install.

I wanted a tether as a safety device anyway, so I thought I'd give this a try. $149.

http://fourstrokesolutionsllc.webs.com/

tether.jpg

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
I have found a different solution to the catch can. There is a kit that includes a tether and shut off valve. If the tether is pulled, the engine will quit, and the valve on the oil tank breather line will close. The valve is fail open in case there is some kind of failure in the system. When the valve is closed, a LED comes on. This will also be handy in those cases where you want to roll your sled over to get it unstuck. Just turn the key to the run position, and pull the tether to close the valve. I have attached a picture of the kit. It looks like a really nice install.

I wanted a tether as a safety device anyway, so I thought I'd give this a try. $149.

I saw this option a while back but I am not a big fan of wearing a tether constantly, hence I think I would prefer the upside down water bottle and hose idea. All I know is I have to do something because I do not want to be carrying extra oil with me in the mountains.

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com

Thats my set-up!

The main advange to wearing a tether. Is if you roll the sled over and the throttle gets pinned (it's happened to me before), the motor gets shut down right away.
This is important because the positive crankcase pressure from a operating engine, will pump oil out the breather vent very quickly. Faster then if it drains out from gravity flow alone.
I have a pressure/vacuum guage installed on my Nytro to monitor oil tank pressure. I used it while I was designing the system. It's true that the breather needs to vent both negitive and positive pressure (vent both ways). However I was suprised to see how rapidly positive pressure would build up at idle, when I pinched the vent line even for just a few seconds! This is why guys will loose more oil when the engine is idling, then when shut down.
Some guys have the roll-over oil valve system, and don't wear the tether. The difference is you just have to reach over and pull the cord, if you happen to stuff it in a tree well!
I use it "manually" for anytime I want to roll the sled on it's side, ie getting un-stuck, inspecting the bottom of the sled, making suspension adjustments, etc

Last edited:

..SNAKEBIT..

Lifetime Membership
Jun 24, 2004
Iowa
X2, I did alot of reading etc on this problem and it seems to me that this set-up is by far the BEST answer, and will be my set-up also as soon as I get the cash

Thats my set-up!

The main advange to wearing a tether. Is if you roll the sled over and the throttle gets pinned (it's happened to me before), the motor gets shut down right away.
This is important because the positive crankcase pressure from a operating engine, will pump oil out the breather vent very quickly. Faster then if it drains out from gravity flow alone.
I have a pressure/vacuum guage installed on my Nytro to monitor oil tank pressure. I used it while I was designing the system. It's true that the breather needs to vent both negitive and positive pressure (vent both ways). However I was suprised to see how rapidly positive pressure would build up at idle, when I pinched the vent line even for just a few seconds! This is why guys will loose more oil when the engine is idling, then when shut down.
Some guys have the roll-over oil valve system, and don't wear the tether. The difference is you just have to reach over and pull the cord, if you happen to stuff it in a tree well!
I use it "manually" for anytime I want to roll the sled on it's side, ie getting un-stuck, inspecting the bottom of the sled, making suspension adjustments, etc

W

Washy

Feb 14, 2008
Langdon
I have had MTN-VIPER's this kit for a couple of months now. It is very well put together and you will not be dissappointed. Its a really nice peice. If you have a lefty throttle then you want a tether.

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
I'm looking for some pacific northwest Apex, RS Venture/Vector and RX-1s to try a kit out on. 95% sure the roll-over oil valve kit will fit these sleds. I would perfer to be present or doing the actual install itself if possible. So I can take pics, check for any potential fitment issues, etc.
If someone who has one of these sleds and wants to try a kit. Let me know and we'll see if we can work something out.

Bill

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
AA I'm interested. Keep us posted.

I never did order the catch tank, its something from a Harley or ??? Cant remember. I have never spilled oil from my Apex but I have seen it happen a couple of times, sled has to be just right to dump. I think the uside down bottle and hose looks pretty good and for $30-40 bucks, can go wrong. Good Luck

Premium Features