• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ECU and Speedometer readings: belt drive vs. chain drive

S
Mar 2, 2009
So I was running an ECU from a 2016 belt drive Axys RMK in my 2017 chain drive Axys RMK today (long story as to why but it doesn't matter to my question). I knew the speedometer would be off since the drive ratios are different. I was thinking maybe 20%.

But yesterday I hit 118mph on a short straight stretch of trail according to the PIDD gauge... I don't think I was even doing 50 actual ground speed... I expected to be off maybe 15-20% (I could calculate the actual % I would expect based on different gear ratios and the diameter of the 3" drivers but again doesn't matter right now).

Is there something completely different about the pickup for the speedometer sensor? I thought they both worked off of the hall effect on the disk brake rotor... maybe a different number of holes in the rotor or something? Sensor is on the brake rotor...

On second thought:
What I am really looking for is someone who has some detailed knowledge of how the speedometer pickup works on the belt drive and chaincase, if there is some kind of "converter" in the wiring or in the ECU, I know the ECU records hours and the gauge records miles (I am sure I piled up a few miles on that ride), but does the ECU tell the gauge the speed, based on some internal calculation of some sort? It would seem so, since the only thing I switched was the ECU. ECU #1 from 2017 chain drive: accurate speedometer, ECU #2 from 2016 belt drive sled" wildly optimistic. And yes, I made sure the injector color and oil pump number was set correctly for my sled.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
So I was running an ECU from a 2016 belt drive Axys RMK in my 2017 chain drive Axys RMK today (long story as to why but it doesn't matter to my question). I knew the speedometer would be off since the drive ratios are different. I was thinking maybe 20%.

But yesterday I hit 118mph on a short straight stretch of trail according to the PIDD gauge... I don't think I was even doing 50 actual ground speed... I expected to be off maybe 15-20% (I could calculate the actual % I would expect based on different gear ratios and the diameter of the 3" drivers but again doesn't matter right now).

Is there something completely different about the pickup for the speedometer sensor? I thought they both worked off of the hall effect on the disk brake rotor... maybe a different number of holes in the rotor or something? Sensor is on the brake rotor...

On second thought:
What I am really looking for is someone who has some detailed knowledge of how the speedometer pickup works on the belt drive and chaincase, if there is some kind of "converter" in the wiring or in the ECU, I know the ECU records hours and the gauge records miles (I am sure I piled up a few miles on that ride), but does the ECU tell the gauge the speed, based on some internal calculation of some sort? It would seem so, since the only thing I switched was the ECU. ECU #1 from 2017 chain drive: accurate speedometer, ECU #2 from 2016 belt drive sled" wildly optimistic. And yes, I made sure the injector color and oil pump number was set correctly for my sled.

The speedo reference holes in the brake discs are at different diameters.

S
Mar 2, 2009
The speedo reference holes in the brake discs are at different diameters.
Makes sense, sort of, the hall effect sensor should detect the number of holes, right? I looked at the parts online microfiche(?) and the hole count looked the same but of course that is just a drawing and not necessarily what is actually produced.

S
Mar 2, 2009
Can anyone look at their belt drive sled's disk brake rotor and figure out how many holes it is going to pass over during one revolution of the disk? Thanks in advance...

Ski-Dont89

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2010
WYOMING
I have the opposite scenario as you, i converted a factory chain case sled to belt drive, so when im doing 25-30 it reads 10 mph.

Ski-Dont89

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2010
WYOMING
Trade you ECUs? LOL... stock flash (now), yellow injector, 2016 / 17
I would consider it but mine is silber turbo flash.
Nice, setting up for great resale on your "super low mile" sled down the road! ?
Haha, yeah i probably could if i was a dishonest person. I would be transparent about it. The hours are accurate, which in my opinion tells just as much as miles do for a mountain sled.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Yeah man, just joking around! It's usually pretty easy to spot a sled with low miles that's been rode hard and put away wet, or one that's had the ODO fudged. Not sure if it's the same with the AXYS, but it surprised me that the mileage on Pros is logged on the display, not the ECU. I'd guess the hours too. So a dishonest guy could put 5000 miles on his sled, swap displays with his wife's 1000-mile sled, and presto!

B
Dec 21, 2009
Similar but different question.......last ride in the spring I noticed my speedo reading much higher than actual speed. 100% stock 2017 163” 3” chain drive PIDD. Any ideas on what to check. Thanks

P
Apr 22, 2019
My 2016 155" 2.6" Belt Drive w/stock pulleys and standard gauge, the speedo tops out at 45mph. Seem accurate up to 45mph then just stays there. Have seen in older threads that some sleds in 2016 left the factory with the incorrect gear ratio programmed and there was a Bulletin for it, but my vin does not fall into that range. Not sure if my issue is with the Speedo Sensor or ECU/Programming (leaning toward ECU/Programming).

S
Mar 2, 2009
Similar but different question.......last ride in the spring I noticed my speedo reading much higher than actual speed. 100% stock 2017 163” 3” chain drive PIDD. Any ideas on what to check. Thanks
If you didn't switch ECUs or get a new flash from Polaris, no idea... mine is because I had placed a belt drive ECU into my chain drive sled... and they read differently off the drive train. Too bad Polaris won't let digital wrench change an ECU from belt drive to chain drive... they don't realize how much people switch parts around LOL... stacking up so many miles on my ECU I think I will unplug the sensor for a while to make it average back out...

Premium Features