• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Easy place to trail ride for a family close to denver?

S
Jan 15, 2014
Hello,

I was hoping to get some recommendations on some decent places to take a couple of older (late 90s) sleds to get my wife and son introduced to the sport. Not looking for secret epic powder spots, just somewhere we can legally ride these sleds I recently picked up in a relatively safe environment. My goal is to have fun but not scare/intimidate my wife and son with crazy steep/difficult terrain. Don't need a huge area, probably just a few miles would be fine for the first few trips. Since we are in the Denver area, relatively close to Denver would be ideal.

I'm a pretty experienced dirt-biker, but not some much with sleds. I know from my experience with bikes a lot of the times the riding areas that get raved about on forums like this are great for more advanced riders, but the last place you would want to take beginners to get their feet wet. In that vain I'm having a hard time determining which snowmobile areas I read about would be good for beginners like us.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give a noob.

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
Winter park head west from Fraser by the Safeway vear left after you go under rr tracks, you will drive about two miles where road will end. Park and ride those trails

sleddin pete

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Summit County Colorado
Grand Lake

I'll second Grand Lake. Good grooming, well marked trails and trail map.

Park at Idleglen trailhead, turn left across from sign for Dillie Docks 5 miles south from town. Take road several miles to trailhead/parking lot. Bathroom and trail maps are in lot.Coloradosledcity.com is state snowmobile association web site and has links to trail maps and current conditions.

A

allrevedup

Jan 15, 2013
Annandale, MN - Dillon, CO
Vail pass would be good. You can ride over to Red Cliff and get lunch at Mangos. Great views. Ask the Forest service guys which trails have been groomed recently. Downfall is they do charge to ride there.

P

Poo727

Jan 14, 2014
Kansas/Krem
Grand Lake without a doubt. The Winter Park suggestion is decent but further away from services and not nearly the amount of traffic to assist you should something happen (after all you did say late 90's sleds).

C
Sep 23, 2011
Durango, Co
Grand Lake!!!! Awesome trails, support from the community, well marked, lots of easy groomers, 2 meadows very close to Idleglen (take county road 4 from Dillie Docks till you reach the lot and snow berms) to get comfortable riding. Maps EVERYWHERE in town and one posted at every major intersection in case you get lost. 2 shops in town, one a Polaris dealer, another independent Wizard repair to fix any problems you may come across on your new (to you) sleds. Fraiser trails are very good as well, just not as well marked and not very busy (read: few other sledders to help you) Grand lake theres sleds around in case you break down and need a tow out ( ask me how I know) There's a new shop in Fraiser just north of the Conoco ( I think) gas station. There both good places but for a first ride, Grand Lake, Hands down. Plus if the Ms. gets tired ride into town, let her shop, stop at one of the many restaurants and have a beverage of your choice. You can park your trailer in town, lots of hotels, theres even a groupon for The Gateway Inn, $50 a night, cannot beat that! Theres also a Poker run feb 8th, and winter carnival feb 1rst/2nd in town, If you wanna make a weekend out of it, AND YOU SHOULD! I learned Mtn riding in Grand Lake with some experienced locals and I still almost exclusively ride there. Once you and your family are more comfortable riding there is more challenging terrain available so that you don't get bored riding trail like a Midwesterner! ( again ask me how I know, as a former Midwesterner myself) Whatever riding area you pick, know your limits, get a map, wear your gear, and let someone know where your going and when you expect to be back! One last note, Grand County Search and Rescue NEVER charges for a rescue, so keep there number in your phone, you never know when youll be somewhere and need the number, it's surprising where you can get signal in the Mtns.

WileyCoyote

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
rampart range

Rampart range road(if they have snow and your sleds are not jetted to lean) elevation about 6700 feet.it's just west of Sedalia and runs south to Colorado springs.

S
Jan 15, 2014
Thanks for the replies (and PMs) I really appreciate it, keep it coming.

I still have a little tinkering to do with the sleds before taking them out, but shouldn't be too long.

Grand Lake sounds like what we need to get started. I've dirt-biked not far from there and really like the area.

I also know Rampart Range road from dirt biking. Thats a nice option since we won't have to deal with I70 ski traffic for just a quick trip. I was wondering if there was anything up 285 for the same reason?

These sleds are old, but one is an RMK600 which I hope has at least a little capability beyond put-put trail riding. I'm looking forward to it...

S

skywagon

Oct 29, 2010
Setter, Kenosha Pass on 285 has a lot of gentle slopes on top. That's where we used to go after buying our first sleds back in 1968, was close to Littleton where we lived then.
Ron

K

kingofthemountain

Dec 21, 2008
Golden, Colorado
If you want to go up 285, a trail ride into jefferson lake isn't a bad option. That was one of my first rides away from grandpas pasture as a kid. Did it on an old ski doo Electra and spent a couple of hours cruising around the lake having a good time. I haven't been up there in probably ten years but I doubt much has changed.

Premium Features