• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowmobiling areas near Denver

Garrelts

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2008
I have a buddy that lives in Denver that im headed out to see and want to get some break in miles on my new sled. Ive ridden rabbit ears a bunch but was trying to find some info on some places closer. Ive been able to find a little bit on the Grand Lake trail system but wasnt sure if they were open yet. Ive also tried finding some info on the winterpark area but havent found much. Id like to get off trail if the snow is deep enough but dont want to accidentally be in areas where snowmobiles arent allowed. I appreciate any input im heading out there this thursday.

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
Corona pass in winter park is normally my first ride of the year. I rode there on November 12 this year it was a bit bony but we have gotten 5ft since. It’s not a huge riding area but the trail is groomed for sure.

Grand lake has been f***** since a fire in 2020 ripped through the entire area. Used to be my favorite spot only got two rides there last year. Would not recommend until after Christmas.

Meadow creek is a pretty fun spot near tabernash mostly just meadows I haven’t heard reports from there yet but I image it is rideable but it doesn’t get groomed.

These areas are well marked if they don’t want you to go somewhere they will have it marked.

Good luck

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
Where is the best parking for winter park?
The riding area is often referred to as Corona or Corona Bowl. No best parking, just the only parking: Highway 40, at the main Winter Park Ski Area entrance stoplight, turn east (ski area is a turn west) and head up through the residential area. At the wye, bear right and easterly up the hill to the tee intersection. Turn north (left) and proceed to parking area. Be considerate. Lots of users park there and turning a trailer around can get interesting.

I haven't been there this year, but in years past there have been some snowmobile directory signs once you leave the Highway. Also, watch for references to Rollins Pass or Corona - names related to the area and its railroad history. Much of the groomed trail is the rail grade from before the Moffat Tunnel.

Be aware: the riding area is tightly bounded by private land and protected wilderness and wilderness areas. There are areas very near the groomed road, as close as the downhill shoulder, that avalanche regularly.

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
From Denver you would take a right onto Lakota trail just across from the main park for the ski area. Then a right onto arrow road and the right onto the water board road.

Premium Features