• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dura pro magnetic tether mount

Mxracer39

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2014
Maine
Hi guys,
I’m having a tether mount cnc’d with a local shop to mount my dura pro tether to the base of the handlebars. Would there be any interest if I had him make extras, or everyone set with their dura pro tether?

Update: ordered the TKI dewk plate for the AC tether and rounded out the flat spots of the mounting hole and it worked perfect for the dura pro. Here are a couple pics.

Bret
01D05418-A058-465B-B8D6-77664B26F6F1.jpeg7586C7AA-461C-40B3-BB59-F999D11C85E7.jpeg

Last edited:

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I would have possibly been interested but..... installed and drilled a hole in the console already.

It would be nice to see some pics too ??

Mxracer39

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2014
Maine
Good point, I ride on the east coast where snow depths are relatively low and trees are super thick. I don’t run a beacon here, but that is definitely something I would check..
If I had pics I would post them for sure. I’m putting the order in so I don’t have a finalized one in my hands yet.

Last edited:

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I would have possibly been interested but..... installed and drilled a hole in the console already.

It would be nice to see some pics too ??

Same for me. Already mounted. But definitely thought about mounting that way. Will be looking again for next year.

Mxracer39

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2014
Maine
Update, mounted my dura pro tether using the TKI dewk AC tether plate. Had to round the flat sides of the mounting holes.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Is this a known issue?

Magnets can affect a transceiver but from what I've come across, these should be okay based on the mounted location.

This what I came across,

Transceiver Interference! ... Magnets are just one of many items that can interfere with an avalanche transceiver's signal. We need to be careful of all metallic objects and electronic devices. Research tells us to keep these items 20 cm away from transceivers in transmit mode, and 50 cm away when in search mode.

Last edited:

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Magnets can affect a transceiver but from what I've come across, these should be okay???? Both ends of the Dura Pro are magnetic but the primary piece that is on the orange cord is less magnetic than the base piece on the sled.

This what I came across,

Transceiver Interference! ... Magnets are just one of many items that can interfere with an avalanche transceiver's signal. We need to be careful of all metallic objects and electronic devices. Research tells us to keep these items 20 cm away from transceivers in transmit mode, and 50 cm away when in search mode.

So, if you came off your sled and were buried and "if" the one end was within 20 cm (7.8 in.) it "might" affect the transmit mode????

If you were in search mode you would want your tether left on your sled or let it hang farther then 50 cm (19.6 in.) .

I would think that Dura Pro would have done some testing on that or maybe someone else has????

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
Some beacons use a magnetic switch. Even though they appear mechanical on the outside, internally they switch magnetically between search/transmit/off. So in theory, if you're buried and the end of the tether is close to your beacon, it could be switched to something other than transmit. This should be easy to test on any beacon: Turn it to transmit and use a magnet to see if you can switch it to something else. The mechanical switch won't move, but watch the display to see results.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I'm not sure if it is coincidence or not, but I used the magnet trick on my digital beacon and no issue. I turned on my old analog beacon, light blinked green and the digital beacon picked it up, then put the magnet near it and it completely died. Pulled batteries and confirmed they were still good, plus tried some other new ones, and sure enough the beacon is shot now.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I'll be experimenting with my Pieps Transmitter also. I'll post up when I have some findings!

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I'll be experimenting with my Pieps Transmitter also. I'll post up when I have some findings!

Okay,

Quick test with the a Pieps DPS Pro and it does not show any interference with the transceiver itself. Next up will be a test with another beacon in transmit mode and the Pieps in search mode.

So more to come!!

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
So, I did a little experimenting with two transceivers, mine which is a Pieps DSP Pro and a buddies BCA Tracker 2. Now this was just a few quick experiments in the garage, nothing fancy.

1st test - Tracker 2 in send mode and Pieps in search mode, with NO tether in sight.
Both transceivers worked, without any issues.

2nd test - Tracker 2 in send mode and Pieps in search mode, with the rider portion of the tether next too or up against the Pieps.
Pieps worked without issue and there was no change from test one.

3rd test - Tracker 2 in send mode and Pieps in search mode. This time I moved the Pieps closer to and then away from the sled portion of the tether, which is a stronger magnet.
The readings on the Pieps would not change and it worked fine.

4th test - Tracker 2 in send mode and Peips in search mode. This time the Tracker 2 was placed on the sled right next to the tether on the sled (both pieces of the tether).
The readings on the Pieps would not change and worked fine.

5th test - Pieps in send mode and Tracker 2 in search mode, with NO tether in site.

6th test - Pieps in send mode and Tracker 2 in search mode, with rider portion of the tether next too or up against the Tracker 2.
This is where it started to get interesting. The Tracker 2 would be searching fine but when the magnet got really close to it or touched the Tracker 2 it seemed to slow it a bit and the number would go up about a meter? Pull the rider portion of the tether way and the number would go back down and it seemed to speed back up.

7th test - Pieps in send mode and Tracker 2 in search mode, This time I moved the Tracker 2 closer and then away from the sled portion of the tether, which again is the stronger of the magnets.
Again, just like the sixth test, the Tracker two would slow a bit and the number would go up roughly a meter. Once you pull it way, it would go back to normal.

8th test - Pieps in send mode and Tracker 2 in search mode, This time the Pieps was placed on the sled right next to the tether on the sled (both pieces of the tether)
The readings on the Tracker 2 worked fine.

Again, this was just a few quick tests in the garage with "these transceivers". After doing this, I do feel comfortable with my current transceiver but obviously something to keep in mind, consider and something you should check if you run any magnetic tether.

74a1121fdf3ccac882c09ed5086f447b.jpg

c9ab25cc28245e092ff76eed931e483a.jpg

Last edited:

cvcustoms

#getsomegetthere
Lifetime Membership
Sep 10, 2018
www.cvcustoms.com
So, I did a little experimenting with two transceivers, mine which is a Pieps DSP Pro and a buddies BCA Tracker 2. Now this was just a few quick experiments in the garage, nothing fancy.

1st test - Tracker 2 in send mode and Pieps in search mode, with NO tether in sight.

2nd test - Tracker 2 in send mode and Pieps in search mode, with the rider portion of the tether next too or up against the Pieps.
Pieps worked without issue and there was no change from test one.

3rd test - Tracker 2 in send mode and Pieps in search mode. This time I moved the Pieps closer to and then away from the sled portion of the tether, which is a stronger magnet.
The readings on the Pieps would not change and it worked fine.

4th test - Tracker 2 in send mode and Peips in search mode. This time the Tracker 2 was placed on the sled right next to the tether on the sled (both pieces of the tether).
The readings on the Pieps would not change and worked fine.

5th test - Pieps in send mode and Tracker 2 in search mode, with NO tether in site.

6th test - Pieps in send mode and Tracker 2 in search mode, with rider portion of the tether next too or up against the Tracker 2.
This is where it started to get interesting. The Tracker 2 would be searching fine but when the magnet got really close to it or touched the Tracker 2 it seemed to slow it a bit and the number would go up about a meter? Pull the rider portion of the tether way and the number would go back down and it seemed to speed back up.

7th test - Pieps in send mode and Tracker 2 in search mode, This time I moved the Tracker 2 closer and then away from the sled portion of the tether, which again is the stronger of the magnets.
Again, just like the sixth test, the Tracker two would slow a bit and the number would go up roughly a meter. Once you pull it way, it would go back to normal.

8th test - Pieps in send mode and Tracker 2 in search mode, This time the Pieps was placed on the sled right next to the tether on the sled (both pieces of the tether)
The readings on the Tracker 2 worked fine.

Again, this was just a few quick tests in the garage with "these transceivers". After doing this, I do feel comfortable with my current transceiver but obviously something to keep in mind, consider and something you should check if you run any magnetic tether.

74a1121fdf3ccac882c09ed5086f447b.jpg

c9ab25cc28245e092ff76eed931e483a.jpg

Thank you for doing these tests. I would have done the same but my beacons are not at the same location as me... I would be 100% confident that the durapro tether and a beacon would not have any significant changes in a real life scenario.

If you really want to have a experiment turn your snowmobile on and see the effect in range that a running Polaris has on a transceiver in terms of range in search mode when close to it vs when it is not running...

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Thank you for doing these tests. I would have done the same but my beacons are not at the same location as me... I would be 100% confident that the durapro tether and a beacon would not have any significant changes in a real life scenario.

If you really want to have a experiment turn your snowmobile on and see the effect in range that a running Polaris has on a transceiver in terms of range in search mode when close to it vs when it is not running...

No problem at all.

I would agree, I don't believe there is significant changes to warrant an issue or major concern.

As far as checking with the sled running........Yeah I know that's an issue! Hence, shut them down!!!

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
I just put a weak magnet on the lower left side of my Barryvox S while it was in "transmit" mode. It turned off entirely for a few seconds and then rebooted with an error code until I moved the magnet away. This was repeatable with the weak magnet (a small magnetic pickup tool), so I got my Artic Cat leash, which has an even weaker magnet. I couldn't turn the beacon off with the leash. From what I've seen, the DuraPro leash uses a much stronger magnet than the Artic Cat.

I tried the same thing with a Tracker 4 and couldn't make the blinking light turn off with the magnet, so I didn't try the leash.

These are the only two beacons I have in my house. I didn't use a searching beacon to test the transmit of another, because there's just too much electronic noise around here for that to be reliable (the searching beacon would be erratic regardless of a magnet near the transmitting beacon).

I believe the first I heard of this problem was with an earlier model Pieps DSP. I also think the clamshell style Ortovox uses a magnetic switch. There may be others.

The key take-away for me is to do as FatDogX did - test your gear and determine for yourself if you're comfortable with it. There are too many beacons made by different manufacturers, and then different generations, for a blanket statement one way or another.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
After reading some good information on beaconreviews.com, I have concluded it was a blessing in disguise that my old analog beacon died an early death on the bench instead of on the hill.

Premium Features