• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dropping boost in mid climb last season.

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Did a number of dyno runs today with SylvanLaker. So far no stumbles. Hopefully the issue is fixed.

Sled pulled pretty hard and put up some decent numbers.

I will start a dyno thread later but hard to beat the dyno when tuning and testing.

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Put di electric grease on all the connections i could, changed the plugs and fixed wire on tvc control wire, new fuel filter.

Wont really know for sure until I start riding.

The dyno also takes clutches out of the equation so maybe I have/had a clutch or belt issue causing overreving.

Sled was also dry and not packed with snow so true riding conditions have not been reproduced.

I have a good feeling without clutches and dry setup everything seems to work.

Time will tell.

Last edited:

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Friend of mine had same loss of boost. Turned out to be a broken copper donut in his exhaust header

Have had exhaust leaks before. Exhaust looks great. Sylvan laker sells a header with a lifetime warranty and no exhaust donuts........no more exhaust leaks :)

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Took the sled for a test rip today. At the beginning seemed to be working ok but after 5-10 min and driving through very fine soft snow it didnt want to build boost at all. Kept sputtering when you would stab the throttle. I am guessing there must be some sort of grounding issue when things get wet. I am not really sure even where to start looking.

Ran fine on the dyno but add snow and it has a problem. Still need to pick up an AF sensor hopefully that will help diagnosis the problem.

Thoughts?

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Alright Duke, I will pick up a set at Daves and see if the problem goes away. Strange that it works when dry on the dyno?

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
I had one that gave me some serious troubles. fought it for a while. Put it on a dyno @ Sea level (literally) and it pulled strong and solid. Went up in altitude and it ran like crap again. Tossed a new Regulator on and its been rock solid ever since. Maybe fuel pressure reg?

Best of luck
RS

sledfvr

Lifetime Membership
Apr 7, 2008
NW MT
Had an rx1 getting moisture in around the coil caps. Did the exact same thing. Took me forever to figure it out. Pull the coils and if they are wet on the bottom, bingo. standing water by the plugs.

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
I had one that gave me some serious troubles. fought it for a while. Put it on a dyno @ Sea level (literally) and it pulled strong and solid. Went up in altitude and it ran like crap again. Tossed a new Regulator on and its been rock solid ever since. Maybe fuel pressure reg?

Best of luck
RS

If it was the regulator why did it work at sea level? I assume it was giving random fuel pressure?

I will try some different coils this weekend.

8k this sled has run so strong with very little problems........this gremlin is becoming annoying!

Keep you updated. Thanks for the input.

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA

Best of luck
RS

If i have to guess, after all the basic maintenance you performed, i would go straight to the regulator, next thing would be efi box.

vi-pec powersports

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
I have some regulators here you can try.
We stopped using the Malpassi regulators a couple years ago because they were prone to moisture getting in the body and rusting the spring.
We now use a small powersports regulator with a base of 44 PSI. It is a rising rate and works great.

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
We stopped using the Malpassi regulators a couple years ago because they were prone to moisture getting in the body and rusting the spring.
We now use a small powersports regulator with a base of 44 PSI. It is a rising rate and works great.

Same here for our race nytros. Proven setup(we work with aeromotive style FPR). I had some problem with my personal 2008 nytro(impulse turbo) that used a BEGI fuel pressure regulator..the thin aluminum layer inside de regulator was cracking and loosing pressure, i was suffering from the same symptoms this gentlemen i suffering from.

vi-pec powersports

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta

Sound good I will swing by the in the next couple of days and grab one. Any chance you can give the shop crew the heads up so if you are not there they know what to give me?

New fuel regulator and coils are on the menu.

Thanks
Paul

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
Sound good I will swing by the in the next couple of days and grab one. Any chance you can give the shop crew the heads up so if you are not there they know what to give me?

New fuel regulator and coils are on the menu.

Thanks
Paul
Ok done.

Thanks

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Just moved my sled and on top of things now i have an exhaust leak. I thought it sounded a bit funny yesterday but today it was loud like a tunnel dump and lots of exhaust coming from inside the tunnel. Plugging the exhaust makes no change except all the exhaust comes out the tunnel.

Will fix that while i am at it and see what happens.

Last edited:
T

Tarzannr1

Aug 16, 2010
North in Norway
www.youtube.com
Just moved my sled and on top of things now i have an exhaust leak. I thought it sounded a bit funny yesterday but today it was loud like a tunnel dump and lots of exhaust coming from inside the tunnel. Plugging the exhaust makes no change except all the exhaust comes out the tunnel.

Will fix that while i am at it and see what happens.
Exhaust leak? Didnt you buy a new exhaust header last winter?

Premium Features