• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DIY Watercraft thread

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
Back like a bad habit...

Hey all, trying (sigh, again) to get something in focus on my 1050 project....

Asking the "Been there, did that (until I found something better) crowd.

Looking to see what improvements could be made to a stock Xtra-Lite skid for these machines. Have a 2001 136 skid that I originally bought to put on my XLT, but have long since given up that idea. I picked up a set of brand new factory 144" rails to swap onto this skid. Also ended up finding a 144 x 2.4" Polaris track in almost new shape. This is what I have to work with, so this is the direction I'm focusing on. I realize this is an aged suspension that doesn't have a whole lot of adjustment but is there things that could be done to make this skid usable for this type of application? I plan on replacing what I can as far as shocks/different springs and new bearings/bushings/shafts etc to help it, but are there any other "old school" mods that could be done? I have a long ways to go yet on the motor side of things, but certain events have made me want to go from an incomplete chassis under a tarp to something more...

Any build threads on here, old archived stuff you might have in a moldy notebook somewhere, rusty memories from the cobwebs of your minds are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for any advice/criticism/ridicule you might have to offer! I'll gladly accept it!!

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Not sure what the question is, but sounds like your on your way. Being you'll be taking the rails off you can justify removing every nut and bolt to inspect all things. Look at the welds on the front arm they usually are broke or distressed at this age.
You didn't tell us what this application is. Are you trail, lake, cross country, mountain climbing, mountain touring, drag strip, hill climb races, or just take it out for a bit to dick around like I do?
Do you want ski lift or not

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
Looking mainly to a "put a grin on 'yer face" play type sled... Kind of a crossover feel to like you said dick around with...not looking for a steep and deep chute climber. Some ski lift to be expected but kept within reason...if that's possible ..LOL

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
the extra lite wasn't a bad skid, obviously dated but I don't see you breaking it. I'd go for a longer track personally but run what you got. these things make stupid hp, you'll need all the traction you can get. I've run a polaris 2.4x159 on mine and it works fine. My wife has an iqr 1200 with an arctic cat 2"x159, nowhere near enough traction, at almost any speed when you get on it you just start to spin. Mattymac you pm'ed me, my wife tells me, but I cant even find that feature on here, I'm hopeless on the internet, if you see this just throw something up on this thread and I'll watch for it, or if someone can tell me where my pm's are I'd appreciate that. edit, wrtmani it will definately put a grin on your face, nothing in the world like one of these old girls singing at rpm.

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
I bought a set of cases, Hot Seat head cover and domes, and other associated parts from Mattymac looong time ago. Been getting the stuff where I could afford it. I'm at the point of needing expensive stuff, cylinders crank, pipes (unfortunately been at this point for a long time.)

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Jay, I may have a buddy who has an edge triple plate if youre still looking for one, along with a set of pipes for an edge also.

wrtmani, I just built another engine. I had Indy specialty built me a crankshaft, along with some other parts to finish my engine, (head water rail)

Wursten is going to be making another run of watercraft parts if anyone is needing anything. And I have stainless throttle shafts to build triple racks if anyone needs one.

1200 carb shafts.jpg 1200 ves 2.jpg 1200 ves.jpg

Last edited:

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
Jay, I may have a buddy who has an edge triple plate if youre still looking for one, along with a set of pipes for an edge also.

wrtmani, I just built another engine. I had Indy specialty build me a crankshaft, along with some other parts to finish my engine, (head water rail)

Wursten is going to be making another run of watercraft parts if anyone is needing anything. And I have stainless throttle shafts to build triple racks if anyone needs one.

Matt--How much for the shaft(s) and would I need all three as pictured for one rack? I have 2 pairs of carbs I bought previously.long time back.

Also, coil mounts, I've seen custom aluminum ones and I've seen some just regular stamped ones that (i think, looking at parts pictures) might be what's used on an 800 XCR tiple...Will you be making any of these, Brad?

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Matt--How much for the shaft(s) and would I need all three as pictured for one rack? I have 2 pairs of carbs I bought previously.long time back.

Also, coil mounts, I've seen custom aluminum ones and I've seen some just regular stamped ones that (i think, looking at parts pictures) might be what's used on an 800 XCR tiple...Will you be making any of these, Brad?

I made a run of shafts. Its only for the throttle shaft itself, one required. They are made of 309 stainless, machined, drilled and tapped on a brideport mill. the center to center has to be dead on along with the clocking of the throttle shaft threaded hole. you still need to lengthen the choke shaft which isnt near as critical as the throttle shaft and is fairly easy to do. drill out the fuel passages between the carbs for the fuel T, and I use all thread to tie the carbs together. It takes me about 2 hours to fully assemble a triple rack.

$150 shipped for the throttle shaft.

As for coil mounts, you can modify the xcr 800 coil mounts. All the aluminum U shaped coil mounts ive seen crack because they get machined out to thin, and mainly dont have radiused/round cut inside corner (sharp 90 degree cuts) and they all eventually crack.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.

wrtmani, I just built another engine. I had Indy specialty built me a crankshaft, along with some other parts to finish my engine, (head water rail)

I have a ub 900 I want to put in an edge chassis, thats why I'm looking for an engine plate. Haven't thought of a 1200 in an edge, but it's an interesting thought. What kind of pipes? and what does he need for them? PM me I guess but seriously I don't know where my pm"s are, can someone help me out here?

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
I have a ub 900 I want to put in an edge chassis, thats why I'm looking for an engine plate. Haven't thought of a 1200 in an edge, but it's an interesting thought. What kind of pipes? and what does he need for them? PM me I guess but seriously I don't know where my pm"s are, can someone help me out here?

His name is eric, good guy! Been dealing with him for a while give him a call when you get time.

435-671-3388

The PM's are at the top right of the screen with the little envelope icon.

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
Not sure what the question is, but sounds like your on your way. Being you'll be taking the rails off you can justify removing every nut and bolt to inspect all things. Look at the welds on the front arm they usually are broke or distressed at this age.
You didn't tell us what this application is. Are you trail, lake, cross country, mountain climbing, mountain touring, drag strip, hill climb races, or just take it out for a bit to dick around like I do?
Do you want ski lift or not
Josh--As Jay mentioned above about the track length and traction aspect...Was looking back through the thread and you mentioned you were running at one point running a 166 track. I have a 162 x 2.25 challenger 3.0 pitch but I need to look it over closer to double check it's usable still. I found an IQ 166 rear skid off a 2006 900 RMK available online. Looks very similar to to the Xtra-lite. Just wondering if this is the skid you used with your 166 and your thoughts on it.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
I did not. I used a skid out of a 13 rmk. The down side to those 166 skids is weight. But the upside is strength and rebuild ability. You can weld the steel parts back togather easier since they are thicker wall. The rails are thicker too. I got my skid for 800 new I beleive but that was back in the age of swapping out for a timbersled, k mod, or others so the price was right.
You can probably get most any length skid to function but getting the geometry to make it work is the trick.
I'd try to not go over length with the suspension as you might be getting too close to the drivers with the rail tips. You want enough to clear and not too far to stab the track.
My setup is mounted too high on the front of the rear and makes waaay too much ski pressure. The bars get ripped out of my hands constantly. I need to fix it.

gp800

Premium Member
Sep 25, 2017
Man I’m glad this thread is still around. Figured I’d share my newest project. it’s a little unconventional compared to most everything in this thread. In fact I’m still not entirely sure what it is. (Somewhere between an 1130 and 1200 based on what I’ve found so far.) still running the 1200 W/C cylinders. If anyone has parts to convert it to sled cylinders or ignition parts I may be interested.

D6DC5509-09C4-401B-88CD-C4F7A597B8B9.jpeg 4130B9BE-1473-41AD-A488-BAC0FA429A29.jpeg C4F862F6-BF80-4A2C-AA79-3167C5CD243E.jpeg 1AC5D089-EA59-49F7-B35F-B091A2636F67.jpeg AC137433-B4A8-4B9B-91DE-5D9977C4A83F.jpeg 965FD187-FE25-44D6-872E-06D42298C001.jpeg

Last edited:
Y
Aug 10, 2021
texas
I just got some new base gaskets from Polaris and they are the coated metal ones, I dont have extra material added to the cases by the waterjacket, will this gasket seal better than the paper ones that have been around forever?

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
I just got some new base gaskets from Polaris and they are the coated metal ones, I dont have extra material added to the cases by the waterjacket, will this gasket seal better than the paper ones that have been around forever?

Ditch the coated metal ones. Without extra surface added back to the cases they WILL leak on you.

Get NON VES paper base gaskets (2000/2001 800) and run it!

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Ditch the coated metal ones. Without extra surface added back to the cases they WILL leak on you.

Get NON VES paper base gaskets (2000/2001 800) and run it!

Like this

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Heres another one I put together, Indy specialties has parts for WC builds. Also Curt at fastrax is doing them as well.

1200 ves 2.jpg 1200 ves.jpg

Premium Features