• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'14 800 Pro wont idle

C
Dec 24, 2014
Yep, they have tried everything you and I and everyone else came up with too...

They claim the TPS was out of adjustment, which I buy because it has always acted like that. I also know some have trouble setting it correctly. They didn't tighten up the barrel adjuster on the throttle cable and it loosened up as I was running it. I didn't notice, too frustrated having just hauled it around the state...

Still, it was more difficult to start, 4 pulls even though it had been started and run the day before, but was idling correctly for 10 minutes or so.

I just do not want the sled back, period, end of story. If the dealer is sure they can fix it great!, they can sell it to the next guy and stand behind that. I have little faith in it being fixed, ever. 15 trips to three dealers over six months...

Last edited:
C
Dec 24, 2014
Supposedly the sled is now fixed. Negotiations with Polaris have resulted in them sending me a $2000 coupon to be used for a new sled as cash. Seems like it should all end well. I wish the dealers were more interested in trades, the low ball number the gave me on my '14 probably isn't going to work. will most likely use the coupon to pick up an in season '16! Hopefully it turns out to be a good one!

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Supposedly the sled is now fixed. Negotiations with Polaris have resulted in them sending me a $2000 coupon to be used for a new sled as cash. Seems like it should all end well. I wish the dealers were more interested in trades, the low ball number the gave me on my '14 probably isn't going to work. will most likely use the coupon to pick up an in season '16! Hopefully it turns out to be a good one!

What did they do to fix it?

C
Dec 24, 2014
What did they do to fix it?

TPS sensor adjustment... The very thing I suggested from the beginning. The adjustment my selling dealer CHARGED me for two months after I bought it.

I did get a rebuilt primary clutch, and a fresh of reeds for no charge. I think the first dealer removed the new fuel filer, fuel pump, and probably a couple of sensors they tried but didn't fix it. I suppose they will sell those parts as new to the next guy even though the sled was ridden with the new parts in...

I did some more shopping today. I will probably buy from GV Powersports in Junction. They had some pretty aggressive pricing. I will pick up my '14 from the shop tomorrow, make sure all is well and then get it cleaned up and ready for sale.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
pretty sad how incompetent "techs" (i use that term loosely) are at dealerships. Power sports dealers dont pay techs near enough so this is often the kind of quality they get.
Just an FYI, the throttle cable (free play / slack) is very important on these sleds and normally needs adjusted about 3 times during the first 1,000 miles and will cause several issues like you had.

Hope it all works out for you. Nice to see polaris pitched in the 2,000.00
Eric

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Adjusting those TPS sensors take a little bit of time and a lot of patience to do right. And there are also a few different opinions amongst people here and techs about what is the right procedure. I tried most of those procedures myself on an 11. Finally found one that worked.. and sold the sled. unfortunately there were other issues with the sled as well. either way, I brought the sled to the dealer 3 times and then had to do it myself. I can't imagine the frustration you felt after bringing your sled in over a dozen times to different dealers.. Polaris is lucky they still have you as a customer. I didn't return to them, only because like you said.. Polaris as a corporation don't care when someone has a problem. They honestly don't.. I know too many cases of people getting the shaft after spending 13000 on a new sled with warranty and have some issues and not get any satisfaction from the dealer or Polaris in general. Even the way Polaris deals with some of their dealers is something to behold. Its quite shocking actually. I pray you have better luck with your 16. They are awesome sleds when you don't have any issues, so I'm told.

C
Dec 24, 2014
I had a '13 before the '14 that was a great, problem free sled. The reality is that I never missed a day of riding with the '14 either. 1200+ miles in a season isn't too bad. It just had a crappy idle. As I mentioned previously, I was dropping it off Mondays, picking it up Fridays and riding it every weekend.

Still, it was a PIA and a little embarrassing around my buddies. I even steered a buddy away from the Poo into a Doo based on this mess. I rode the rest, I like Polaris the best. The Axys, if it runs right, will be epic.

The whole thing was pathetic though. I knew it was the TPS. They jacked around for months. I got some free parts out of it and a discount to buy another Poo. I am gambling that mine was one of the few, and weeded out a few dealers for service work...

Premium Features