• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'14 800 Pro wont idle

C
Dec 24, 2014
I figured I would start a new thread about my poor running Pro since the title of the other one is misleading.

The story goes, I bought a new holdover '14 Pro in Dec. It is still under factory warranty and has three years of extended warranty. The sled has about 1300 miles on it. It has been to the dealer 7 times now for this problem. They have replaced spark plugs, fuel pump and regulator, TPS sensor, barometric pressure sensor, and the fuel filter.

It is progressively getting worse. It wouldn't go into reverse after three tries yesterday afternoon after my ride. On cold starts it will not idle up even if you throttle it up a little, still lumps along and sometimes dies. On hot restarts it idles low and bogs. Sometimes after running it hard and coming to a stop it will idle perfectly.... for about 20-30 seconds then it drops of like you flipped a switch.

I have videos of it cold and hot yesterday, neither very impressive for a nearly new $10k machine, under warranty and having made many trips to the dealer to be fixed. I have tried email with Polaris. That seems to be a waste of time thus far as they have not responded to me at all.

I am very frustrated. Now the sled even seems to be running erratically. One pull it rips 8300 rpm at high altitude (12k+) the next run, same hill, same snow, 6800, most of the time it was pulling 76-7800. It used to be more consistent and could be clutching. It sure seemed like it was all of the suddenly making more power than ever before though.

Here are the video links to my photobucket acct.
http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/Mountainman523/media/IMG_0564.mp4.html
http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/Mountainman523/media/IMG_0585.mp4.html

Any ideas would be great. Polaris and the dealer are throwing parts at it, and it isn't getting fixed. I am tired of being ignored by Polaris, and I ma tired of having to haul this sled in every week for over two months only to get it back in the same or worse condition.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I had similar issues with my hold over 14 starting at around 200 miles. at first just random issues like your talking about. Then it started doing a power loss and would only pull about 6500, 2-3 WOT climbs in good snow and then the next run it would fall on its face. It never died or shut off, just major power loss. This happened a few different days, I tore the sled down and tested everything myself and found nothing. No codes were being set, nothing in the ECM. Then on a good snow day.....way back in there.... it got so bad it was even doing it at part throttle on level ground. This time it turned the light on and had injector codes. One of the injectors was going open electrically. Put a set of injectors in it and it never acted up again in the next 700 miles. Eric

C
Dec 24, 2014
I finally did get a response from Polaris. It was a worthless for letter stating they apologize that my sled isn't working right...

Those videos have been sent to the dealer. Hopefully they can come up with some new ideas... I think fuel injectors sounds plausible. Worse come to worse my buddy just put a turbo on his '14 Assault and he has a known good set I can try.

I would much prefer Polaris to FIX this since it is still under warranty.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
CO do you happen to remember about how many miles you had when the problem started?

Did an occasional "no-reverse-engine-die" happen just before you noticed the low idle or at the same time?

Does it ever have normal idle operation?

C
Dec 24, 2014
It started with around 800 miles on the sled. Until just recently it was not having problems going into reverse.

It would not go into reverse at the end of the last ride.

Every once in a blue moon it will idle correctly for a short time. You can see the transition from correct 1800-1900 smooth idle to dropping off and running poorly in the second video.

M

MacDawg productions

Sep 5, 2008
Van Isle, British Columbia
Sure does sound like the tps gremlin!! A new tps sensor is useless unless the baseline calibration has been confirmed on the throttle bodies and also a new tps plug has been installed. Those wires on the plug are notorious for not holding up. Good luck!!

smwizzz

Lifetime Membership
May 6, 2008
Ft McMurray, AB
Yup... just my 2 cents...

Sure does sound like the tps gremlin!! A new tps sensor is useless unless the baseline calibration has been confirmed on the throttle bodies and also a new tps plug has been installed. Those wires on the plug are notorious for not holding up. Good luck!!

You are correct in saying that and one can get a bad "NEW" TPS. Maybe a different dealer should try it's hand at the repair. The not going into reverse is the first indication of a bad TPS set up. They tend to become corroded and then they need to be replaced and reset.

On another note... the whole package could be a faulty injector. Still, the dealer should be able to test both with positive results and it should not take 7, 8 or 10 trips and a dozen letters to Polaris industries to get results.

Personally, I would try a different dealer. You are only as good as the service they provide. The dealer, if they are reputable should be the mediator between the customer and Polaris corporate. I purchase my sleds locally and may pay a bit more which I have never shopped because my dealer takes the best care of me here. If I pay a bit more, in the end it is extremely worth it.

Cheers... Happy Trails!!! AND Good Luck!!!

C
Dec 24, 2014
The sled has been going to my "local" dealer, and they are probably the best within 100+ miles of here. It is 30 miles, and it is where I bought the sled. It is where I intend to buy the next, assuming this gets worked out.

The Cat dealer is further and not really interested in being a sled dealer. Ski Doo dealer is very popular but I hate how those sleds ride. I am resisting that change for now too.

Seems like a TPS problem to me too, always has. I brought it in initially for a TPS adjustment over two months ago, which I was charged for. So far though it seems I have gotten new plugs and a fuel filter gratis. Maybe that bill will come of it gets fixed.

The next closest, semi reputable dealer, is over an hours drive each way, and I would like be loyal to the local guy. Jacking up Polaris directly is the only other recourse right now. It is getting back to the dealer so who knows...

I had a small crash last weekend so a new steering post is on order and I am delivering my son to the Marines this weekend. Should be enough snow to ride next weekend so hopefully the post is in and the next fix applied.

M

MacDawg productions

Sep 5, 2008
Van Isle, British Columbia
I don't know. I have never bought a sled because of a particular dealer. I just never expect the service i need to be loyal to that shop. I always just fix things myself. Or through the guidance of this site. It's never steared me wrong. Repair shops never seem to take the time to properly diagnose a problem, nor care if you have to drive 6 hrs to their shop. I think the techs just don't have the experience to handle complicated or intricate problems. They would rather throw parts at it. Sad but true.
:face-icon-small-con

C
Dec 24, 2014
I don't know. I have never bought a sled because of a particular dealer. I just never expect the service i need to be loyal to that shop. I always just fix things myself. Or through the guidance of this site. It's never steared me wrong. Repair shops never seem to take the time to properly diagnose a problem, nor care if you have to drive 6 hrs to their shop. I think the techs just don't have the experience to handle complicated or intricate problems. They would rather throw parts at it. Sad but true.
:face-icon-small-con

First, I have not lost a day of riding to this problem yet. It seems to run very strong off idle, gets me by as long as I don't expect it is going to come off idle smoothly.

Second, unless you are offering to buy the parts, I think I will let the warranty process work through the problem. I also happen to know that the tech has a ton of hours in this, many of which he probably wont get paid for, or the dealer wont anyway.

It appears to me to be an electrical problem. The tool the techs are given to diagnose electrical problems (digital wrench) is not the best. Yes, they are throwing parts at it, after hours of testing that says everything is fine.

I have posted up video, I can recite which parts have been replaced and what tests have been done. Instead of claiming you would fix it yourself, how about a guess at what you think is wrong? That would be a lot more helpful than telling me what I already know about how corporations treat customers, and there own, these days...

C
Dec 24, 2014
I had similar problems in my 2012. It also fouled a lot of plugs. Replaced the injectors and that fixed the problem.

Could be injectors but even though it seems to be going rich there is not excessive fuel smell when it runs poorly. It has not been fouling plugs either.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Sounds like bad luck, I have owned 4 Pros and not had any major problems.
When the dealer returns your sled is it idling correctly, or does this problem
Reappear after the sled has been under load?

C
Feb 8, 2008
I could not get the links to work so I could not hear the motor. You saying it drops its idle like you flip a switch makes me think about ignition problems. You also state that on one pull you pulled full rpm and the next quite a bit less.

When this problem occurs have you pulled the plugs and looked at them.Its hard to describe how to correctly read a spark plug, but they can tell you a lot about what is going on with the motor.

If you just got done running the motor hard and come to an idle the plugs should have a dry appearance if they are sparking correctly, but a plug that is losing spark or getting weak spark will look wet.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Maybe it's just done haulin your @ss around for the season! It is June! Jk, jealous, no snow here all winter.....
If you have a known set of injectors, that's an easy test. Pop em in, not sure if Poo has different injectors for different Ecm calibrations though?
I had similar random issue like this with my '12 when it was almost new for like 2 rides. Never did find the issue but it's run fine for the last 500 mi. Only has 600 now. Well wouldn't start last fall first time after sitting the summer. Pulled the chit out of it, no go. Next day it lit right up.
I'd also look for chaffed broke or shorted wire somewhere since it's random.
I did but didn't find anything when mine was doing it.
To me if the tps was faulty or not calibrated correctly, the problem would be repeatable.

C
Dec 24, 2014
Sounds like bad luck, I have owned 4 Pros and not had any major problems.
When the dealer returns your sled is it idling correctly, or does this problem
Reappear after the sled has been under load?

Definetely some bad luck...

A few times the sled has seemed to run better if not perfect when leaving the dealer. Doesn't really matter how when or where though, at this point it runs poorly at idle all the time.

C
Dec 24, 2014
I could not get the links to work so I could not hear the motor. You saying it drops its idle like you flip a switch makes me think about ignition problems. You also state that on one pull you pulled full rpm and the next quite a bit less.

When this problem occurs have you pulled the plugs and looked at them.Its hard to describe how to correctly read a spark plug, but they can tell you a lot about what is going on with the motor.

If you just got done running the motor hard and come to an idle the plugs should have a dry appearance if they are sparking correctly, but a plug that is losing spark or getting weak spark will look wet.

Plugs have been replaced twice in the last few hundred miles. Doesn't make any difference, and they come out looking fine.

C
Dec 24, 2014
Maybe it's just done haulin your @ss around for the season! It is June! Jk, jealous, no snow here all winter.....
If you have a known set of injectors, that's an easy test. Pop em in, not sure if Poo has different injectors for different Ecm calibrations though?
I had similar random issue like this with my '12 when it was almost new for like 2 rides. Never did find the issue but it's run fine for the last 500 mi. Only has 600 now. Well wouldn't start last fall first time after sitting the summer. Pulled the chit out of it, no go. Next day it lit right up.
I'd also look for chaffed broke or shorted wire somewhere since it's random.
I did but didn't find anything when mine was doing it.
To me if the tps was faulty or not calibrated correctly, the problem would be repeatable.

My buddy does have a spare set if injectors from his recent turbo install. I am trying to let Polaris fix it at this point. My messing around in there probably isn't the kind of help they need. Possible though...

The problem is easily repeatable, does it all the time. Digital wrench says all is well.:noidea:

C
Feb 8, 2008
Plugs have been replaced twice in the last few hundred miles. Doesn't make any difference, and they come out looking fine.

But have you pulled them out immediately when the problem occurs. How they look at that moment should tell you if you are chasing an ignition or a fuel problem and which cylinder has the faulty component.

C
Dec 24, 2014
But have you pulled them out immediately when the problem occurs. How they look at that moment should tell you if you are chasing an ignition or a fuel problem and which cylinder has the faulty component.

The only way that works is if you are fouling with fuel or oil, otherwise the plugs are going out come out light tan both sides, just like they have...

Reading plugs is not early that easy on the new, clean burning machines. The sled has this issue ALL THE TIME, no matter when you pull the plugs, they look the same, not fouled and perfect color.

Premium Features