• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ditch The Mountain Strap

Do you prefer to ride without a mountain strap?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
F
Dec 30, 2019
Thanks to everyone for your input. I’ll leave the strap on for now, but will likely ditch it the first time it gets in my way, since I can always grab the crossbar to roll my sled over as was mentioned.

Wife’s sled is getting the treatment too. Have the “low” rise Pro Tapers coming from Polaris for her’s and will probably cut 2” or so off the total width.

580CC500-6971-4B7D-8F47-FA20C8F1F314.jpeg

S
Aug 10, 2020
I was thinking about buying these bars and trying to add the stock mountain strap. Is there a reason you cannot just take off the whole crossbar assembly from the next level bars and then add the stock brackets and mountain strap? We use the mountain strap a lot when doubling if we decide to bring snowboards out.

F
Dec 30, 2019
I was thinking about buying these bars and trying to add the stock mountain strap. Is there a reason you cannot just take off the whole crossbar assembly from the next level bars and then add the stock brackets and mountain strap? We use the mountain strap a lot when doubling if we decide to bring snowboards out.

I considered that. The spacing between the bends is such on the Fly bars that in order for the Pro Taper crossbar/strap assembly to fit, the brackets need to be slid down the handlebars so much that the crossbar would be an inch or so above the riser and the top of the mountain strap would be nearly below the plane of the handlebars.

Totally doable though if you can find a creative way to extend each end of the Pro Taper crossbar, or make spacers, etc... I was too lazy...lol. I own a mig but am not set up to weld aluminum.

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
I finally ditched the Mountain strap last season after 28 years of back country Mountain riding. I’m into my second season with the Munster finger throttle as well. I also stayed with the factory bar riser instead of going taller. I rode today for the first time this season... and I didn’t miss it at all.

S
Aug 10, 2020
I considered that. The spacing between the bends is such on the Fly bars that in order for the Pro Taper crossbar/strap assembly to fit, the brackets need to be slid down the handlebars so much that the crossbar would be an inch or so above the riser and the top of the mountain strap would be nearly below the plane of the handlebars.

Totally doable though if you can find a creative way to extend each end of the Pro Taper crossbar, or make spacers, etc... I was too lazy...lol. I own a mig but am not set up to weld aluminum.

Thanks. That is exactly what I was wondering.

T
Nov 11, 2008
2” off the width of the factory low’s is quite a bit given their pullback. Hopefully she doesn’t notice any negatives.

The Dan Adam’s Fly bars and CFR Chris Browns are almost identical and they the same height as the factory low at 5”. The Burandt RSI’s are about a 1/2” lower and now he is running/offering a new 4” rise bar on his sleds this winter and I think available through his store.

I also have 4” ProTapers and while they maintain factory pullback I prefer the lower overall height. The bars I run can run the factory mountain strap from the Axys Vs the bigger bulky pro ride style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F
Dec 30, 2019
So I rode the sleds. Cutting her bars down was a mistake, so I replaced them with a new set of Polaris low rise. The Dan Adams bars were ok, but I mainly felt they were still too tall, so swapped those for a set of CFR Chris Browns and they feel perfect. Roughly 1-1/2” lower than what the DA bars were when measured off the front of the running board.

630CCB11-E650-4B60-B53F-19D1905F57A2.jpeg

726162B3-3C9B-4D7D-8D52-FE61D171D7DC.jpeg

5947C2B7-AB0B-46E9-B767-E9D7F7B82288.jpeg

7895019E-43DB-499C-A3A1-E0BEA5077EA6.jpeg

948FC8EA-0D74-40D1-B879-E13C926516CD.jpeg

61CF2DA7-1923-4B4B-A7DC-B0DBBFDF1E64.jpeg

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I don’t like the Poo mountain bar because it’s so stiff. I flipped my sled over backwards and took that strap to the chest and it dislocated a rib earlier in the season. My buddy took one to the chin doing bow ties and just about knocked himself out. I cut mine off. Don’t miss it. No problem rolling the sled, Ive never ridden two up out of the backcountry either. I don’t care how anyone else rides tho lol.

flying frenchman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Neighbour did this too. Ran into a bank and the stiff factory bar bruised his chest.
I run a 99 summit mountain bar on all my sleds. Soft and flexible and use it when I need it. Sure don't hurt now when I run into it.
I also wear my tekvest, never hurts when
I hit the bars or any part on the sled.

C
Mar 15, 2018
I remember when "mountain bars" first came out. They were steel back then, part of the bars. I always thought I needed one but never bought one. Then I bought my 1998 powder special that came with the rubber one and I was excited because all the guys I rode with used it and I thought you NEEDED to use it to ride properly. I never could use one. It always felt awkward so I never used it. I would never want a sled without one though for the same reasons given. Rolling the sled over and parking my helmet when stopped for a break.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Don't use the mountain when riding, however it is very handy when rolling the machine over or giving a kid a ride they can hang on to it and it is indispensable for sled skiing when you have a skier on each side on the machine each with one hand on the bar and one hand on the strap.

C
Mar 15, 2018
All the pros use them
For what?. Never seen a highly skilled rider touch one when the sled is moving ever. Pick Chris Burrandt since he should be included in "All the pros.." has said many times that he NEVER takes his finger off the brake. Every other respected rider makes similar statements. Pretty hard to pull on the "mountain strap" while riding if you never take your hands off the grips. In fact, it seems to me that I may have seen a video of Burrandt specifically stating that you should NEVER pull on the strap while riding. Seems to me that is you feel you need to pull on that strap you are putting too much effort into riding and need to learn how to make the sled do the work. Something I am trying to learn because I KNOW I am exerting way too much effort due to poor riding technique.

S
Dec 6, 2021
Sturgis
For what?. Never seen a highly skilled rider touch one when the sled is moving ever. Pick Chris Burrandt since he should be included in "All the pros.." has said many times that he NEVER takes his finger off the brake. Every other respected rider makes similar statements. Pretty hard to pull on the "mountain strap" while riding if you never take your hands off the grips. In fact, it seems to me that I may have seen a video of Burrandt specifically stating that you should NEVER pull on the strap while riding. Seems to me that is you feel you need to pull on that strap you are putting too much effort into riding and need to learn how to make the sled do the work. Something I am trying to learn because I KNOW I am exerting way too much effort due to poor riding technique.
He not a pro he still beginner

C
Mar 15, 2018
BTW, I am old enough to remember when they were "Mountain bars". Yup, a steel bar rising up from the regular bars. You knew when you hit one of those.

Premium Features