Ditch The Mountain Strap

Do you prefer to ride without a mountain strap?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Dec 30, 2019
Thanks to everyone for your input. I’ll leave the strap on for now, but will likely ditch it the first time it gets in my way, since I can always grab the crossbar to roll my sled over as was mentioned.

Wife’s sled is getting the treatment too. Have the “low” rise Pro Tapers coming from Polaris for her’s and will probably cut 2” or so off the total width.

580CC500-6971-4B7D-8F47-FA20C8F1F314.jpeg

Aug 10, 2020
I was thinking about buying these bars and trying to add the stock mountain strap. Is there a reason you cannot just take off the whole crossbar assembly from the next level bars and then add the stock brackets and mountain strap? We use the mountain strap a lot when doubling if we decide to bring snowboards out.

Dec 30, 2019
I was thinking about buying these bars and trying to add the stock mountain strap. Is there a reason you cannot just take off the whole crossbar assembly from the next level bars and then add the stock brackets and mountain strap? We use the mountain strap a lot when doubling if we decide to bring snowboards out.
I considered that. The spacing between the bends is such on the Fly bars that in order for the Pro Taper crossbar/strap assembly to fit, the brackets need to be slid down the handlebars so much that the crossbar would be an inch or so above the riser and the top of the mountain strap would be nearly below the plane of the handlebars.

Totally doable though if you can find a creative way to extend each end of the Pro Taper crossbar, or make spacers, etc... I was too lazy...lol. I own a mig but am not set up to weld aluminum.

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
I finally ditched the Mountain strap last season after 28 years of back country Mountain riding. I’m into my second season with the Munster finger throttle as well. I also stayed with the factory bar riser instead of going taller. I rode today for the first time this season... and I didn’t miss it at all.

Aug 10, 2020
I considered that. The spacing between the bends is such on the Fly bars that in order for the Pro Taper crossbar/strap assembly to fit, the brackets need to be slid down the handlebars so much that the crossbar would be an inch or so above the riser and the top of the mountain strap would be nearly below the plane of the handlebars.

Totally doable though if you can find a creative way to extend each end of the Pro Taper crossbar, or make spacers, etc... I was too lazy...lol. I own a mig but am not set up to weld aluminum.

Thanks. That is exactly what I was wondering.

Nov 12, 2008
2” off the width of the factory low’s is quite a bit given their pullback. Hopefully she doesn’t notice any negatives.

The Dan Adam’s Fly bars and CFR Chris Browns are almost identical and they the same height as the factory low at 5”. The Burandt RSI’s are about a 1/2” lower and now he is running/offering a new 4” rise bar on his sleds this winter and I think available through his store.

I also have 4” ProTapers and while they maintain factory pullback I prefer the lower overall height. The bars I run can run the factory mountain strap from the Axys Vs the bigger bulky pro ride style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 30, 2019
So I rode the sleds. Cutting her bars down was a mistake, so I replaced them with a new set of Polaris low rise. The Dan Adams bars were ok, but I mainly felt they were still too tall, so swapped those for a set of CFR Chris Browns and they feel perfect. Roughly 1-1/2” lower than what the DA bars were when measured off the front of the running board.

630CCB11-E650-4B60-B53F-19D1905F57A2.jpeg

726162B3-3C9B-4D7D-8D52-FE61D171D7DC.jpeg

5947C2B7-AB0B-46E9-B767-E9D7F7B82288.jpeg

7895019E-43DB-499C-A3A1-E0BEA5077EA6.jpeg

948FC8EA-0D74-40D1-B879-E13C926516CD.jpeg

61CF2DA7-1923-4B4B-A7DC-B0DBBFDF1E64.jpeg

Last edited:
Premium Features