• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Deep Powder - Slipping belt

wonderxc600

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
MN
I wish I could tell you yes or no, but I don't know 100%, but im not worried about it, I'm just putting them on the vents on the pannels.
Once someone makes a vent kit. I'll be adding one, or two of them to add more cooling. I think 2 cool vents, or fire N Ice we're going to have some vents ready soon

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
No problem with frogskinz vents on my axys, they keep the water out also when the snow melts.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I hope it’s snow making these belts slip talked to a unicorn owner on the snow today having same issue . Could it be the new clutch isn’t providing enough side pressure with the short weight?

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I hope it’s snow making these belts slip talked to a unicorn owner on the snow today having same issue . Could it be the new clutch isn’t providing enough side pressure with the short weight?

I dont know about that. . . but speculate that the weights are not the issue.

My experience was when carving . . ., you know how the ski causes powder to blow up onto the hood and in your face . . . that was when the belt slipped. It never slipped when the powder was not blowing up onto the hood. So, that is why i thought it was being caused from the powder going on into the hood via the open vents and then onto the bottom of the belt, and into the secondary clutch. If you look under the hood, you can see the pathway the snow might take, into the vents, over the engine and directly onto the belt.

Once these series of storms pass, i will give this "mod" on the vents a try. Hopefully this works well.

Cheers!

d8grandpa

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2010
Alberta
I dont know about that. . . but speculate that the weights are not the issue.

My experience was when carving . . ., you know how the ski causes powder to blow up onto the hood and in your face . . . that was when the belt slipped. It never slipped when the powder was not blowing up onto the hood. So, that is why i thought it was being caused from the powder going on into the hood via the open vents and then onto the bottom of the belt, and into the secondary clutch. If you look under the hood, you can see the pathway the snow might take, into the vents, over the engine and directly onto the belt.

Once these series of storms pass, i will give this "mod" on the vents a try. Hopefully this works well.

Cheers!
The footwell is a big culprit also.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Tested the screen on the vents yesterday.
Works VERY well.
Powder was deep, and dry.
No belt slipping issues at all! Problem solved !
A little over 100 miles now - this sled is impressive!

wonderxc600

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
MN
The footwell is a big culprit also.
After looking at that today. I think that I'm gonna need to put something there as well. Ufta I could see it being one of all the vents that could cause the belt slipping. Along with the other 3 vent on pannels and hood. I'd rather take care of in know and not find out while I'm out riding

C

cortez

Feb 12, 2009
After looking at that today. I think that I'm gonna need to put something there as well. Ufta I could see it being one of all the vents that could cause the belt slipping. Along with the other 3 vent on pannels and hood. I'd rather take care of in know and not find out while I'm out riding

I can also confirm its the side panel vent and top 2 hood vents that cause the issue. Taped mine over from the inside before riding in 4+ feet of very light powder and not a single belt slip.. will put frogzskin or regular mesh on from the inside for a permanent fix. God do they look awful when guys paste them on the exterior
93f112b1533b0dcdc096a5ed3ce99c60.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D
Dec 15, 2020
I can also confirm its the side panel vent and top 2 hood vents that cause the issue. Taped mine over from the inside before riding in 4+ feet of very light powder and not a single belt slip.. will put frogzskin or regular mesh on from the inside for a permanent fix. God do they look awful when guys paste them on the exterior
93f112b1533b0dcdc096a5ed3ce99c60.jpg

Could you post pics of what you did and tell us sizes to buy? Thanks..BTW whatever pic you dropped here doesn't open on why Mac Book?? :confused:

EDIT! I just re-read and realized you said you where planning on doing this job. Sorry if anyone gets this done please post.

Last edited:

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
Same issue on my Matryx. I put pet screen inside the hood exactly like Timbre. Used Amazing Goop Marine which is removable/replaceable.

Also check your plastics where it meets the bulkhead underneath the clutch and ahead of clutch near upper rear A-Arm mount. I was seeing a lot of daylight and could put my fingers through the gap between plastic and aluminum below secondary. Black RTV silicone took care of those cracks.

I do agree that the worst of it is coming from above and only happens when carving.

OTM

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
How did you fasten this screen on the inside? Can you show us the underside?
I did not take pictures of the backside, but when/if i take the hood off again, i will try to do that.

But, in the meantime, i will explain.
I had the hood removed, and upside down, and the back of the vent i was working on, as level as possible.
I cut pieces of screen about 3/8" larger all around than the vent. I sat the screen on the vent and "tacked" it on the 4 corners of each individual hole in each vent, with some E6000.
This was intended to be a little "temporary" in case the idea did not work, and i could then remove the screen easily.
I let it dry and it was ready to go :)

M
Jan 22, 2019
Denver, CO
I did not take pictures of the backside, but when/if i take the hood off again, i will try to do that.

But, in the meantime, i will explain.
I had the hood removed, and upside down, and the back of the vent i was working on, as level as possible.
I cut pieces of screen about 3/8" larger all around than the vent. I sat the screen on the vent and "tacked" it on the 4 corners of each individual hole in each vent, with some E6000.
This was intended to be a little "temporary" in case the idea did not work, and i could then remove the screen easily.
I let it dry and it was ready to go :)

I followed Timbre’s lead as mine was slipping in deep pow and used e6000 plus and alu screens. Looks great from outside and I’ve gotten 2 days on it since with no issue and it completely solved problem.

Thought it was kind of a PITA to get the screen bent correctly and I had e6000 plus which took forever to tack up and dry but end result was solid. Don’t need glue absolutely everywhere just in a few key spots like the corners and a few extra dots along top the longer sections.

Will also note I thought the slot on top of the left side panel looked tricky to do same screens so just put some black tape I had along inside and it’s been holding as well

bbf72e7456a6c60283dc0a2bd9216ee8.jpg

88fef3b5ca32a1829e3b69ad12ce451b.jpg

5a5fa7f23dd97a58b7dc3a26534bbbe8.jpg

004cef11642af00a670e579d6eda5c67.jpg

Premium Features