• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dealing with de-acceleration

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Seat time and the gym. 4 strokes naturally don't whine down as freely as a two stroke. Yamaha actually has a special circuit in the injection system that opens up when you let off the throttle that feeds the engine a small amount of fuel/air to lessen the impact of engine braking. Without it you would definitely be thrown over the bars every time you let off. You have to train your thumb not to let off the throttle all at once again that takes seat time.
I could be wrong but I have never read anything on any forum that talked about reducing it. I have read a lot about the benefits of having it though. Good luck

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
Seat time and the gym. 4 strokes naturally don't whine down as freely as a two stroke. Yamaha actually has a special circuit in the injection system that opens up when you let off the throttle that feeds the engine a small amount of fuel/air to lessen the impact of engine braking. Without it you would definitely be thrown over the bars every time you let off. You have to train your thumb not to let off the throttle all at once again that takes seat time.
I could be wrong but I have never read anything on any forum that talked about reducing it. I have read a lot about the benefits of having it though. Good luck

Apex's didn't have this feature.....I absolutely hated the engine breaking on mine.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Seat time and the gym. You have to train your thumb not to let off the throttle all at once again that takes seat time.
Dead Nuts right.

Jeez, the first season on my Nytro I DID go over the handlebars repeatedly!
Just kept catching my surprise how QUICKLY the sled would stop when the power came off.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
its like a auto jake brake:face-icon-small-hapyou just get use to it after a bit,once you get the hang of it you dont need brakes much.just dont let the throttle all the way off like others have said & braking affect will be allot less.

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK
My understanding is that the tighter you wrap your secondary, the less engine breaking you experience. I think I have mine at 7 and 3 (90 degrees if my math is right). I still have some engine breaking, but it is manageable. I think a lot of it is being used to my sled and instinctively feathering the throttle to accommodate.

I remember seeing a post on totallyamaha where a guy said that he was able to get his RX to feel like a two stroke with little or no engine breaking. I don't remember what set up he had, but I seem to recall that he had his secondary wrapped pretty tight.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Shattered1
That is interesting but that brings up the question of what sort of performance are you giving up in your clutches to compensate for the engine braking. and is it worth it

What little i know about clutching it always seems like a give and take kind of thing. You gain performance in one area and loose it in another.

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK
I really couldn't tell you. I would expect that the tighter you have it wrapped, the more force you would need in order to make it open up and lower your ratio. My guess would be that it would give you more bottom end which is what you generally want for mountain riding.

My experience with clutching has been trial and error and it's something that you will mess with forever. I haven't found the silver bullet yet, but it seems to work well enough. I'm always adding and removing weight and moving weight around on my primary. I really haven't done much to my secondary other than move it to the 3 and 7 holes. It has a Bender helix on it that came with the sled and I have no idea what the pitch is on it.

I am by no means a clutching guru. I've talked to guys that have raced and know a lot about it, but they usually give me the same advice, to try different things out and see what works for you. I've done a lot of research on totallyamaha as well.

Another thing you might want to look into if you intend to mess with your secondary clutching is a Shockwave secondary adjustable helix. A lot of the Yamaha 4 stroke guys swear by them. It's one of those things that I have wanted to invest in, but never have.

V
Apr 10, 2008
Enderby B.C.
Thanks

Thanks for all the comments guys...Seat time is what I need.
Also, bit of suspension setup as its riding quite heavy o the front. I will tighten up he front shock on the skid, and? or drop the rear down into the lower hole in an effort to reduce the wt on the skis.
I don't want to have to spool up the turbo just to have the front end feel light, although I am sure there will be compromises.
Has anyone moved there bars forward some. I am planning on moving them forward 2".

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
If you have not already looked into the OFT relocator. I would suggest doing so. The fit and finish top shelf and it makes a world of difference. A must have on this sled. It's a little more expensive but well worth the extra doe Next thing would be a new front end kit. The hype is no joke Remember. That the front of the sled will always feel heavy due to the placement of the engine. But the relocatir and front end kit will lessen the effect. Do your home work on the front end kits. There are several out now on the market

Premium Features