• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Deadly Force In NYC

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
This one seemed to be excessive on the cop's part IMO.

FWIW, I don't feel the same about the Ferguson situation.

At the end of the day there are 2 things going on IMO:

1) If you aren't doing illegal sh1t, you won't have altercations with cops. Simple as that.

2) Cops DO need to be reasonable, and there definitely are some little-man-syndrome cops on everyone force....bet my sled we all know one. They need to be weeded out/punished wherever/whenever possible. Most polic forces I know of have had trouble getting enough applicants for quite a few years - so is it possible the quality has decreased? Sure is.

But if you refer to #1, whether the cops are good/bad/ugly becomes irrelevant....that's not ENTIRELY the point, but it does fix the problem on an individual basis.

Last edited:

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
This one seemed to be excessive on the cop's part IMO.

FWIW, I don't feel the same about the Ferguson situation.

At the end of the day there are 2 things going on IMO:

1) If you aren't doing illegal sh1t, you won't have altercations with cops. Simple as that.

2) Cops DO need to be reasonable, and there definitely are some little-man-syndrome cops on everyone force....bet my sled we all know one. They need to be weeded out/punished wherever/whenever possible. Most polic forces I know of have had trouble getting enough applicants for quite a few years - so is it possible the quality has decreased? Sure is.

But if you refer to #1, whether the cops are good/bad/ugly becomes irrelevant....that's not ENTIRELY the point, but it does fix the problem on an individual basis.

The guy had 31 run ins with the law......he should have known the procedure by now. I am very far from pro cop. You cant pin this on one guy, there were 4 or 5 cops there, plus EMTs.......If they hit him with a tazer and he dies, then what happens?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I agree with all of that....but I think given the number of cops there and so forth, there could have been a better solution. I'm not saying the cop should be charged with murder or anything (I think the actual death was caused by his health), but it was heavy handed IMO. 99% of people would have easily survived that....but it was still overkill IMO.

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
There could have been a better solution....although Im not sure what that would have been. Dogs, tazer, pepper spray, billy clubs......I would rather be thrown down and choked a little versus the others. Hard situation to handle.

I

inspector01

Mar 21, 2013
MN
I agree with all of that....but I think given the number of cops there and so forth, there could have been a better solution. I'm not saying the cop should be charged with murder or anything (I think the actual death was caused by his health), but it was heavy handed IMO. 99% of people would have easily survived that....but it was still overkill IMO.

ME declared it homicide.

There could have been a better solution....although Im not sure what that would have been. Dogs, tazer, pepper spray, billy clubs......I would rather be thrown down and choked a little versus the others. Hard situation to handle.

What was he doing wrong that required any physical force? He was SUSPECTED of commiting a misdemeanor.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
First off being a cop in a big city is no easy task.....Based on the Video we all by now have all seen 5 trained cops to 1 over weight out of shape man who was selling cigarettes...I'm sorry folks but everything has a threshold of tolerance and the NYPD went excessively to far on this one.

DPG

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
ME declared it homicide.

What was he doing wrong that required any physical force? He was SUSPECTED of commiting a misdemeanor.

Resisting arrest will get you thrown to the ground every time.....and if you keep resisting more and more force will be used. And again I am not pro cop.........

Last edited:
S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana
You do not comply to what the police are telling you to do. You better be prepared to suffer the consequences of your own decision. If that means you get the s**t stomped out of you then so be it. The fat pig was resisting arrest otherwise 5 police officers would not have had to take him down. It only takes 1 to put a set of cuffs on anyone if they are not resisting it. In my opinion the dumbazz caused his own death. GJ should have ruled it suicide.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
NYC there are cops everywhere...Store keeper called the police reporting a guy selling cigarettes in front of there stores which is bad for business. cigarette are $5.95 a pack and the poor people can't afford that so guys sell single cigarettes for .75 cents each. The cops were harassing him for illegally selling cigs without collect tax. So The Story Goes.......

There is no dought the guy should not have resisted arrest but at the same time "5 trained cops" went to far on this one.

DPG

S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana
So you agree he resisted arrest. Did the police tell him to resist arrest or did he make a decision under his own free will to resist arrest? My guess is it was his decision. I was taught as a very young child by my parents, that I am able to make decisions on my own. But if I made bad decisions I should be prepared to suffer the ramifications of those decisions. I learned quickly how to make good decisions. I guess with what was it 31 priors? This guy never learned

H
Jan 28, 2004
Intersting, where I live police officers do not go to collect unpaid taxes or investigate it. Sounds like they had nothing better to do.

But if you are illegally selling something on the street will they come stop you? And if yu try to fight it arrest you?

B
Sep 19, 2010
Utah/South Dakota
The law is the law! Makes no difference how petty it might be? It is the law and law enforcement are just trying to do a job. For all outward appearances, this looks heavy handed, but like what has been said before, if he had complied then there would have been a non issue! What would you have the cops do with the big feller, tag out?

Premium Features