• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cut Tunnel/Tunnel Shortening

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
"To each their own" - in my case, I already own a really solid, strong '18 155, want to try a 163, without the cost to sell and buy a new sled. Easy, economical. If I don't like it, I put the 155 back in. Only out the cost of rails and a track, both of which are an easy "sell" - esp given how popular this whole concept has become.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
So for the guys cutting there tunnels how much are you cutting off ?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I cut 5 inches off my 155 and its perfect. Paddle tips are plumb with the back of the bumper.

Doing 7 of my khaos because of a 153 and running rails cut for 9" wheels so makes the footprint a little shorter yet

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
This is a fad just like the ape hangers! You guys going to trim your running boards also, cause them drag just as much as the rear of your tunnel? What are you doing with your snow flaps? Snow flaps are placed on a sled for two reasons, one for trapping snow into your tunnel for cooling purposes, and two to help keep the debris down. Yes these PRO RMK/Axys snow flaps are horrible at this.

Geez what is the next thing that Burandt going to do/say that all you that have been baptized to the Church of Burandt will believe!

How many of you have that are saying "this actually works" has actually tried it?

Sorry, I'm not drinking this cool-aide.

Last edited:
C
Nov 29, 2008
This is a fad just like the ape hangers! You guys going to trim your running boards also, cause them drag just as much as the rear of your tunnel? What are you doing with your snow flaps? Snow flaps are placed on a sled for two reasons, one for trapping snow into your tunnel for cooling purposes, and two to help keep the debris down. Yes these PRO RMK/Axys snow flaps are horrible at this.

Geez what is the next thing that Burandt going to do/say that all you that have been baptized to the Church of Burandt will believe!

How many of you have that are saying "this actually works" has actually tried it?

Sorry, I'm not drinking this cool-aide.
In heavier snow when trenched the tunnel / flap can definately hold up the sled ...in Champaign powder not so much ...
We tend to get heavier snow which packs in and hang up the sled much quicker ...debating the tunnel mod ...shorter boards would be nice (but I'm a cheap prick) don't often use the very back of the boards esp at 5'7" with short legs...
This season the flap will be removable - on and longer for on trail / low snow and quick off for trees.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
My friend just did the MTK kit, wacked 8" off his 163, easy to do and hardest thing was the usual drain and fill of the coolant ......super nice kit for sure and much better that welding EZPZ

ewanaburner

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2002
west central MN
If you don't notice the difference you aren't pushing the sled to it's limits
And probably don't need it
If you push it hard in deep Champaign powder the difference is quite obvious
My 16 was cut and the new one will be cut before it hits the snow
If you think it's dumb don't cut yours
If your haven't rode one cut you probably should
A 155 tunnel with a 163 is not short enough

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
If you don't notice the difference you aren't pushing the sled to it's limits
And probably don't need it
If you push it hard in deep Champaign powder the difference is quite obvious
My 16 was cut and the new one will be cut before it hits the snow
If you think it's dumb don't cut yours
If your haven't rode one cut you probably should
A 155 tunnel with a 163 is not short enough

Yep i was riding a 155 tunnel on 163 track in the spring of 2011. (Same effect then)

My current 162 has 8” cut off the tunnel so the longest portion of the bumper is flush with the track belting.

15020DDA-5486-4C0E-B7F9-B62F7940E1B7.jpeg

Premium Features