• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cut Tunnel/Tunnel Shortening

TallCan

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 13, 2016
Sierra Nevadas
So I want to shorten my tunnel. I found a local guy that can drop dimes with the aluminum tig. Kinda hesitant because I don't personally know anyone that has done this. I am looking for any tips, hints, tricks or any advise. Or if you know of anyone in California that will perform this surgery successfully. THANKS

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Where are you?

There's a feller in truckee who might be talked into it.

Good with aluminum and a sledder.

neverenoughsnow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 1999
Omaha, Ne.
cooler

i want to know if the tunnel and cooler can be separated? then cut the tunnel and cooler separately then reassemble. seems like it would be easier to weld cooler separated?

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
i want to know if the tunnel and cooler can be separated? then cut the tunnel and cooler separately then reassemble. seems like it would be easier to weld cooler separated?

that is a great idea!! im sure the stock cooler is not to hard to get out

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

The tunnel “IS” the cooler.

Trust me it’s easier to leave it assembled.

Here’s a picture from when i had my pro cooler removed. (Same design)

c19060f8d8511664856b0b911e3b4967.jpg

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Cat guys say they don't need a tunnel . I have no idea how they are designed but they say there is no support beyond the rear skid mounts .

Cat tunnels are 2-piece. The front section (ahead of the rear drop brackets) is laminated with double sheeting on each side and is super strong. The cooler is located in the front section only. The rear section rivets on at the drop brackets. Starting with the 2017 mountain cats they started making the rear sections 1/2 the thickness they were before and the only support for the rear section is in the bumper. So if you tail stand the sled vertical and catch the rear bumper on something hard it's fairly easy to crease the rear section. At least they make it easy to replace with a couple hours and a rivet gun :face-icon-small-con.

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
Michiganders bend them with SNO-Bungies .. at least the BoonDocker ones !!
Very Funny Group :face-icon-small-con

Our Group is more of the flip and ride type !! With tunnel still attached.

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
Really What’s the point of it? Just because Chris says it works. Not buying it nor would I spend the money to buy rails ect. Most weekend riders will never be in a spot that there sled tunnels out. Waste of money if you ask me. But wait Chris says it is cool!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Really What’s the point of it? Just because Chris says it works. Not buying it nor would I spend the money to buy rails ect. Most weekend riders will never be in a spot that there sled tunnels out. Waste of money if you ask me. But wait Chris says it is cool!!!!

If you’ve ever been stuck, you’ve tunneled out.

The short tunnel sleds will just flip over backwards. (Watch Caleb Kesterke)

Of course this assumes riding on hills.

No snowflap either.

Last edited:

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA

The point is I ride weekdays therefore I need a short tunnel with a long track :eyebrows:

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
Of course you tunnel out when stuck. Thats not my point at all. My point is, the benefit and time and money spent is not worth it. What are you getting maybe a couple of more feet on a hill? Or? I guess I don't see the fuss in it. This is just my a opinion and everyone is free to do whatever. Just looking at it from another piont of view.

Last edited:

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
It's going to help lots if you do a 180 turnout when climbing a steep hill. The stock tunnel is always in the way then. When you get stuck doing this it's the tunnel jammed into the hill holding you there.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Of course you tunnel out when stuck. Thats not my point at all. My point is, the benefit and time and money spent is not worth it. What are you getting maybe a couple of more feet on a hill? Or? I guess I don't see the fuss in it. This is just my a opinion and everyone is free to do whatever. Just looking at it from another piont of view.
If your a rider making any attempt at pushing things you will notice quickly. The deeper the snow the faster it is obvious.

Once you've rode a cut sled or a 163/155 build you first notice just trenched in turn outs you keep going with a lot more momentum and there is a less abrupt just stall out and stuck, the sled can keep chewing and find traction and work its way out of things much better.

And for more acrobatic moves like 360's etc. It takes them from annoying and challenging to auto pilot.

Just waiting on my Khaos to cut up. She's gonna be short and wild.

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
I watched the videos ..
If he was to cut his tunnel off , Why would he flip over backwards?? Am I missing something ??

He flips it in the air sure but I don't see any stand still backflips like a Jet Ski ..

But for sure keep watching. It will make you a better rider , I've seen so many Chris's over the years it makes me sick. They see it, so definitely they can do it! I haven't watched many videos or I to would need to cut my tunnel.
BTW !! Cats still suck even if they are made by the best two golf cart manufacturers l!! IMO

Last edited:

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
If you have a 155, just lengthen to a 163. Or just wait for the 2021 sleds, when the tunnel will already be shorter. Not cutting will significantly help with resale when you upgrade. Doubt many folks would want a used sled with a cut tunnel.

Premium Features