• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Custom Rack made from ace hardware supplies

D

DRAPE

Feb 19, 2008
NSL UT
Thanks

Hey, Thanks for sharing! Great instructions - Looks like I have a sweet little project to take on this weekend. Good job!

C

craigvansickle

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 17, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Revisions

One typo I found. The rack adjusts forward and back in 2" increments not 1". The cross pieces are 14 3/4" on mine. This should give you an idea of how much tubing you will need depending on how many cross pieces you want.

Just weighed the rack with all attaching hardware: 2 lbs 9.4 oz This should give you a good idea on what yours will weight depending on how long you make it. Mine is 40" total length.

Thanks again for all the input. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Craig

rackweight.jpg

C

craigvansickle

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 17, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Rack Rubber

I added some strips of 1/8" corrugated black rubber. The strips are a little under 3" wide. (the width of a can of spray paint - for the end radius) I roughed up the tunnel with a coarse sanding wheel in my die grinder. Cleaned everything with brake cleaner. Glued it to the tunnel using high temp black RTV silicone.

Craig

rackroughrubber.jpg

rackrubber.jpg

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
dang craig, I think I am bringing my sled over and letting you finish it up for me...nice job..everything looks pro......mike

C

craigvansickle

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 17, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Thanks man. My dad already has me working on his sled! I have been working every night trying to get this thing ready. Still have much to do! How is yours coming?

Craig

S

Sako7STW

Nov 6, 2003
Evanston, WY
Craig,

Nice job! but curiosity is killing me. What is that thing behind your sled in that last picture? looks like a jig for something. If it's a private deal, thats cool.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Thanks man. My dad already has me working on his sled! I have been working every night trying to get this thing ready. Still have much to do! How is yours coming?

Craig

mines close, have the clutches ready to go back on and install lefty throttle and should be good..gonna try and do a tune ride sunday....

C

craigvansickle

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 17, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
okay rack looks good but I must ask what did you do to your running boards?

Cut in between the holes. Still very rigid. I have some better boards on the way though. I HATE snow on the running boards. If I ever had a pet pieve that would be it.

I am finally all done with the rack setup. I have two 2 gal fuel cans and a cargo net to stuff bags and gear when needed behind the fuel cans or under the seat. See there was a reason I made it song long! Long trips in Alaska.

rackwithfuel.jpg

Premium Features