• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Custom flatbed - what would you build in?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
On the silver lake , do the fold down sides just rest up against the sides of the bed it self for support when they are down or is there a pin or latch or something helping out? Thanks!

On the SRW model, the sides fold down and the skis or ATV tires ride on them. They are made to hold weight.

On the dually model, like mine above, I don't know if they are designed to bear weight. They don't need to since the bed is wide enough to have sleds or ATVs sitting side by side. I don't know if they would be weight bearing. I would ask Mike Kinzer about all that.

The sides have a pin that holds them up when they are in the closed position.
If you need pics, I can take some.

bkm20x

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Arnolds Park, IA
On the SRW model, the sides fold down and the skis or ATV tires ride on them. They are made to hold weight.

On the dually model, like mine above, I don't know if they are designed to bear weight. They don't need to since the bed is wide enough to have sleds or ATVs sitting side by side. I don't know if they would be weight bearing. I would ask Mike Kinzer about all that.

The sides have a pin that holds them up when they are in the closed position.
If you need pics, I can take some.

Didn't you have a build thread on this truck? Searched but couldn't find anything....thanks! Very cool and I talked with Mike at Silver Lake yesterday about a similar setup.

P
Nov 20, 2016
foleyet. ontario
Thanks for the reply scott. Yes I realize the ski sits on the fold down side. I was wondering if when its folded down for two sleds, the bottom just rests up against the main bed? Or.. if there are any other supports for the fold down side. I am planning on pretty much doing the same but use three hinges for extra support when its folded down. Ill take all the pics you are wiling to post, and appreciate it very much. Thank you.

J

jph3

Dec 6, 2007
Edwards co
Got a flatbed, trying to figure out the best way to extend the bed and get it sled ready... any thoughts/suggestions?

It’s 7’ long, figured I would add structure to the stakes (to fit two sleds wide) and square off the rear for the ramp. Enough rise to drop the ramp in between the deck and the bed if possible. Ideally I’m thinking of making it removable for the summer.

I have two Super clamps and will mount those. Have a winch from my truck boss setup so will add that as well. Already added LEDs to the back for loading, and 42” lightbar up top facing forward.

3096f0bb3467470213f5bef63b7f18f8.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
I've been building just what your talking about. I keep welding and cutting things back off. I have noticed it's getting very heavy you may want to consider aluminum.
Like you say internal ramp storage. Mine will be slid in and out of the main channel irons in the frame rails. Problem is it needs to be a bifold being the opening is right at 36"
The goose neck is also tricky cause it can hang down into where the ramp slides in. It needs lateral reinforcement instead of vertical gusseting.
I noticed my fuel tank vent sticks up into this track as well so I'll need to do something there too
I'm going to make bolt on side boards that also slide in the ramp stow area then carry an impact.
Make sure your headache rack has a point or fork on each side so you can tie 16' boards to it at the home depot
Then boxes for your gear bags and tools, deck lights, steps, various tie down options
Mines 4" main channel irons topped with 3" cross channels. Found out 1/8 diamond is $30 more than 14 gauge so went a shade thinner. Incondecent lights at Napa are in bulk and cheap. The LED lights won't melt snow off

IMG_20191128_213723974.jpg

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Thanks for the reply scott. Yes I realize the ski sits on the fold down side. I was wondering if when its folded down for two sleds, the bottom just rests up against the main bed? Or.. if there are any other supports for the fold down side. I am planning on pretty much doing the same but use three hinges for extra support when its folded down. Ill take all the pics you are wiling to post, and appreciate it very much. Thank you.
Sorry, I didn't reply to this post.
The sides just lay down against the bed.
I can get a couple pics of you still want.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Got a flatbed, trying to figure out the best way to extend the bed and get it sled ready... any thoughts/suggestions?

It’s 7’ long, figured I would add structure to the stakes (to fit two sleds wide) and square off the rear for the ramp. Enough rise to drop the ramp in between the deck and the bed if possible. Ideally I’m thinking of making it removable for the summer.

I have two Super clamps and will mount those. Have a winch from my truck boss setup so will add that as well. Already added LEDs to the back for loading, and 42” lightbar up top facing forward.

3096f0bb3467470213f5bef63b7f18f8.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My deck is wood. I love it! Things don't slide around. Ski's can dig in a bit and stay put.
My old deck was used for sleds for prox 15 yrs and I never had to re-deck it. They don't dig in that bad.
And we use it for real work most of the time.
So - if you made up a wood framed drop-on ....

I've been building just what your talking about. I keep welding and cutting things back off. I have noticed it's getting very heavy you may want to consider aluminum.

My new one is stainless, and uses formed metal, but otherwise - it's about the same as my original design.
(Guess my original plans are not uploaded yet, I thought that they were...)

If you want me to scan it in - hollar.

I run it as far back as I could while retaining the OEM hitch - yields me a 9' deck.

DSCN1671_zpsgyluqt2j.jpg

2006%20Truck%20with%20Trailer%20in%20Colorado_zpse95k7vbl.jpg

TruckSledsBridgeDec02.jpg

Ramps slide out:

NewBed2.jpg

Last edited:

CISC0

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 3, 2010
PNW=WA
Not trying to bash, but why the hell is the stock bumper reused? It looks so out of place. They could of built it a bit longer without it
It actually was a deck that sat on top of the box originally. Hence the short headache rack. But you do have a good point ! Now I gotta upgrade the rear end

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Alright, I have been dreaming of building a custom flatbed for the last few seasons to get the ride height of my deck down lower and simplify things for my adventures. I know Silverlake makes some really nice setups but I need a fab project and just don't have the coin to drop on one.

Have you checked out Andrew Munsters deck, makes the finger throttles. He has made a few really sweet flatbeds that you could check out. Think he has pictures on his Instagram.

Premium Features