• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Custom flatbed - what would you build in?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Alright, I have been dreaming of building a custom flatbed for the last few seasons to get the ride height of my deck down lower and simplify things for my adventures. I know Silverlake makes some really nice setups but I need a fab project and just don't have the coin to drop on one.

I think I have gotten over all of my design hurdles that have limited my in the past now im just trying to make sure I don't miss any crucial accessories. I don't want to get way overboard but I also want to make sure its nice and functional.

Curent features as modeled are:

-Complete 8' ramp internal storage
-Functional gooseneck hitch
-Flip down sides for full 8' width (7' box x8.5' long with clipped corners)
-Glides and superclamp mounts on the front
- Notches for dirtbike tires in summer
-various cutouts to allow for strapping
-integrated receiver hitch/step for getting up the back.
-full LED Lighting in headache rack and bumper with ample lights for loading
-Front mounted toolboxes on both sides

Wants
I have considered adding a fuel tank into the headache rack for the sleds or truck fuel on long trips. Also making the headache rack hang over the cab some for gear storage.

Just trying to do my best to design in everything I can so Im not cutting and adding or wishing I had done more when its over.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Just curious, how long are you thinking???? (how many sleds)

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
7' wide with 6" flip down edges as well as 8.5 deck in the center with tapered corners. similar to most long bed pickup flatbeds, so just standard 2 sled, altho I would be more comfortable doing the 3 sleds wedged on vs up on a deck.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Gotcha, should be interesting !!

I assume a thread will be coming with the build?

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Might want to add a mount for a winch. I had a Wireless Warn winch on my deck and it was super nice for loading sleds out of the shop or early morning loading when you dont want to start up the sled.

Maybe tie it into the headache rack and make it so it can slide side to side.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
Might want to add a mount for a winch. I had a Wireless Warn winch on my deck and it was super nice for loading sleds out of the shop or early morning loading when you dont want to start up the sled.

This would also be very handy for loading a dead sled.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT

I had considered something like this, a little 3k# one would not be bad to tuck up and away for dragging stuff up. Im more worried about dead sleds. I live way out on my own compound so sound isnt a worry but hauling dead sleds (or even out of gas) sucks pretty bad.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Winch, loading lights, fuel tank for the sleds.... as much aluminum as possible and avoid steel and rust!

You'll need the gearbox above the cab if you have a buddy join you. That's why I roll the sled deck, nice safe and clean place to keep it all.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I've never liked the idea of putting skis or ATV tires on the flip down sides.

I have wide tires on my truck and went with the dually bed on my side rear wheel set up.

Looks fine and the sides stay up.

P
Nov 20, 2016
foleyet. ontario
I am just putting material together now for the same build. 2005 chev 2500 hd. I am looking for light lean and cheap. I was thinking a tri fold ramp folded up will slide right up underneith easy between the frame rails. Also been mulling over the fold down sides for full width, I am doing it just thinking about the easiest way to do it with no moving parts or at least as few as needed.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Don't forget mounting locations for superclamp hooks. The lopped corners look nice and give extra clearance around trailers, but I'm not a big fan of them when you want to slide the ramp over and load the second sled. The bed on my dad's truck has the long tapered corners at maybe a 10 degree angle so there's only space enough right in the center for a ramp to hang on. If you cut the corners I'd stay to a short angled corner. I think we're going to build a removable 2' extension that slides into the receiver hitch that makes the back of the truck square. This would also help in the 3-sled scenario.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I've never liked the idea of putting skis or ATV tires on the flip down sides.

I have wide tires on my truck and went with the dually bed on my side rear wheel set up.

Looks fine and the sides stay up.
I should just fork up and buy a dually, or get some more offset and bigger meats on mine... I love duallys with full width beds. Making a SRW truck look good takes a little more work.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
attachment.php

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Mine is a solid 102" for the dually, but I have ramps inside and a gooseneck well inside. It is built to accept fold down sides, if we ever decide to build them.

This is a copy of an older one that we built 15 yrs ago for my other truck. This time we built it out of SS, but I haul heavy stuff at times. You may get away with alum just fine.

I love the wood deck! Unless I load onto a sheet of ice, my sleds don't go anywhere, even if you are going down old logging roads. Let the carbides dig in and toss a strap from an inside spindle to the middle tie downs, and ~ maybe toss one through the back if on ice, and they never go anywhere.

We had sides on our old one, till someone didn't put the pin in good enough, and it flipped down, then a hinge pin clip was missing, and the hinge pin backed out on it's own, and it is now somewhere in the median on I75 between here and Detroit.

May possibly build new ones again some day, but been running w/o for 10 yrs or more by now....

My deck is about 9' long. I made it as long as possible while still using the OEM hitch.

DSCN1620_zpsiii3s8c4.jpg

DSCN1671_zpsgyluqt2j.jpg

P
Nov 20, 2016
foleyet. ontario
On the silver lake , do the fold down sides just rest up against the sides of the bed it self for support when they are down or is there a pin or latch or something helping out? Thanks!

Premium Features