• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Crossfire Revamp Questions

K
Jan 23, 2019
Well decided after this year going to go all out on my well used 2011 Crossfire. It's been decent as I have it with the rebuilt shocks (440 resi-up front). 800HO has a timing key, cut head, burning Premix 40:1 with AvGas through a SLP exhaust with a PCV controller. BDX diamond drive SLP clutch kit with the helix and new fingers, lots of other goodies. But time for more.

Could go buy a new sled but I'm the guy that spent new dirt bike money restoring a 2002 CR250r so nostalgia trumps logic. Basically stripping the sled to a shell in the shop over the summer.

Major changes would be leaning towards Ice Age rails in a 153 length vs stock 141. Logic being since I live in the northeast, could run a 1.75 Backcountry for 90% of the time and swap a 2.6 on and have it be semi useful out west. (I know these have their limits in the modern world). Curious though if there's any issues with the 153 rails on a stock Crossfire with keeping the tunnel the same.

Other question is the rear suspension. Currently it's stock with the rear float and front coilover shock. Both simply rebuilt factory specs. What changes can I do to get the most out of it? A full Kmod skid seems a little excessive but I wouldn't be opposed to modifying the current setup with new shocks or arms.

I'm curious about doing the Skinz running boards but I know there's cutting involved with a point of no return, looking for advice on that.

Finally, bulk head bracing. Is the one from Canada sled parts the go-to? haven't had any problems but looking to prevent them. Any other advice is appreciated.

IMG_20220228_143347531_HDR.jpg
received_2733879926733514.jpeg
IMG_20210109_151331_129~3.jpg

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
the long track on short tunnel should work well. looks like you've got a little extra tunnel past your track anyways. as long as when the shock is compressed the track doesn't hit the bumper. the new polaris mtn sleds and the lynx sleds are running very short tunnels and little tiny snow flaps.
'

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Check out HyGear's 141 Pro-Linkage for the rear suspension, I have it on my '11 (uncoupled, non-torsion sprung) Crossfire 8. The kit changes the motion rate & adds progression to the factory designed falling rate rear suspension that works best with a single rate coil-over shock . The 141 skid rides noticeably better in the trail bumps while not sacrificing any off-trail attributes. I also installed the very well made M-Rite bulk-head support bracket; contact Hidy here on snowest to see if he will weld a set up for you. This sled is my back-up low snow choice over my true mountain sleds, with a 141 2.25 (compromise) Power-Claw track, good in the powder & not overkill on the packed/groomed trails. Love to the old Crossfire!

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Depending on your altitude, you may have to change your DD gearing when swapping tracks; on the Crossfire 8 141 track ,I went with 63/57 gears, (from stock 60/60) a 36 degree helix & 63 gram weights for 6000-9000 ft. altitude. By comparison my '10 153 M8 with a 2.6 Powerclaw track has 65/55 DD gears.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
If you can find a suspension shop to source the parts and have someone make up the old M-series Burandt Upgrade kit for the skid shocks it's a noticeable improvement. Pretty sure I have the spec sheets at home still from doing mine.

I'm a huge fan of tube boards. No snow buildup, better traction, and make a sled chassis much more responsive to rider inputs.

Second the gear down to 55/65 when you throw the 2.6 track on out west.

We put a 3" powerclaw on a 162 M-series and I can get the fingers to hit the rear tunnel cap when it bottoms out. So if you don't extend the tunnel you might get a 2.6 to grab it as well.

Premium Features