• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

crazy tach...

S
i have an '03 summit zx 800 that i picked up used & the tach bounces and gives random readings from time to time. occasionally it reads 1200-6500 rpm while idleing & some really wild rpm swings while rideing.the engine rpm sounds consistent (currently running factory clutching & pulls @ 7800rpm when it settles down) and i've confirmed that the idle rpm is consistent (set correctly & not raceing etc) with the use of a tach with an optical pick up (kinda hard to use while rideing lol).i would like to do some experimenting with the clutching on this machine but....:face-icon-small-fro has anybody ever repaired this problem?
PS- all the wireing/plugs etc appear ok?

Y
Jan 3, 2011
Funny, Mine bounces then reads 0 when the sled is at idle. I flip the headlight switch to high and all is good. I don't recall if I had the issue before I switched out the controls. I was running the big encased plastic setup but now have just the minimal switches.

MtnRidr4Life

Lifetime Membership
Sep 10, 2008
Fargo, ND
Sounds like a voltage regulator issue. I had the same problem till I put a new one in, and now works great. Sadly I went through about 3 headlight bulbs before getting it figured out.

Premium Features