• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Core Floor Shop?????

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Unfortunately my wife wants to move into town. I don't blame her, I am not around much in the summer time. Two little kids and 10 acres, with 3 of grass can get to be a lot to take care of, for both of us.

We are moving into a smaller town nearby, or plan too. Couple options, one I can have a 1200 sq ft unattached garage. The other I would have to core floor the garage/walk out basement. The small development allowing a unattached garage would be perfect, but its not exactly. Drainage in the development is suspect, and a few other things are red flags.

Does anyone have a core floor shop set up? How did you set it up down there? Any tips or suggestions? I cant imagine things like gas fumes would carry into the house any worse than a garage?

I need some storage for sleds, and work space for sleds little woodworking things like that. Man cave would be nice too. Working on sleds is my r&r. I go out to the shop, crank up the stereo till my ears hurt and tinker. I do most of my own vehicle maintenance too, but that may have to end.

thanks... Justin

Z
Nov 26, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
I don’t personally have a core floor set up but I went down this very same path when we looked at building. In the end we went against building, bought a smaller acreage (2 acres) that has an older home we are completely gutting/remolding and I have a detached 30x35 garage that’s heated but has no plumbing. Here are some of my thoughts:

- If you want anything close to the size and height of a detached, you’re going to spend as much if not more for the core floor option than you are a detached structure. Just doing a small 12x16 core with no rear door only basement access added $9k to our bid (summer 2013 in Brandon). When you want to core the whole area underneath a 3 stall garage you’re looking at over double the price per sf due to the different structural needs. Also, our $9k bid only got me 7' ceilings I believe. Even with 9' basement height I think 7' is about all you can get for ceiling height. If you want more your gonna have to adjust your elevation a bit or put your sump pump in the core floor area (and of course add more $).
- I wouldn’t worry about fumes and such making it into the house but you will need to do something to help with acoustics. The concrete floor, ceiling and walls will echo like a mo fo (this will prob be taken care of when you insulated it).
- I would imagine a core floor would be more efficient, but my shop is 30 years old and I only burned 1/2 tank ($325) of propane this winter. I have a 100k BTU furnace and keep it at 40 and crank it to 60 when I work out there it takes about 10 minutes for that big heater to heat that small area so there is no sense me keeping it warmer.
- A detached structure will add more value to your home (as well as raise your taxes) and will also raise your insurance rates
- If you’re going to do any painting, welding, or using anything that has a strong odor a detached structure is going to be easier to retrofit and vent appropriately.
- As far as a man cave goes a detached structure is a bit friendlier (buddies are not coming and going through the house when everyone is in bed).
- The detached structure is going to have more maintenance.
- A core floor could be easily set up to make an excellent storm shelter.
- You may (or may not) have the option to put a detached structure where it makes the most sense. A core floor you only have access to through the back of the house or through your basement. Garage access is doable but again more $.

I guess I'm a little bias to detached because that’s what I have and I love it. Could I make do with a core floor?......yes but would i trade what i have for one...NOPE

Hanging in there
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2009
somewhere in South East Idaho
where i live a detached structure is about half the price on taxes as an attached structure~ and insurance is alot cheaper too~

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
So the advantage is saving lot space?
Disadvantage is cost?

I just don't see it around here, but lot space is plentiful & reletively inexpensive here also. (except for lake property)

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Most places you can't have a detatched structure , whether it matches the house or not. It's against covenance.

They use structural concrete slabs set into the foundation to support the garage floor. Then poor over the top. Most people use the space for storage. It's also becoming a trend for family rooms and theatre rooms, because the sound doesn't carry upstairs.

Typical garage runs $20 per sq ft., the core floor area is about $25.

The space isn't a issue. I would end up needing about a 5 stall over sized garage by the time I am done. Portions of the back garage foundation walls could get pretty large the further you push it back.

I agree, I would rather have a detached. It's just the development that allows it our house would be 100-150$ more than the other houses in it. Contractor has concerns that if we sold, we would take a major hit due to what's around it.

Is this making sense? Other than the fact I am throwing in the towel and moving to town.

My only other option would be finding a shop space in town some where. Bad part is I like to work after the kids go to bed. It's nice to just walk out and walk back. Or if the kids are playing outside, I can tinker.

Last edited:

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I understand.
In a perfect world, a 7 stall attached would be the norm!

When I added 20' onto the garage I also went up.
May or may not hurt if we ever sold.

Z
Nov 26, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
I guess I miss-understood your original post, I thought you had the option to do either on the lot you are thinking about going with so I see why it’s a tough decision. The overbuilding for development is a valid concern; we have a family friend that built 3 years ago in an established neighborhood because they wanted mature landscaping and trees. He is a contractor and built the house himself and they are still going to lose their a** on resale bc they are a $450k home next to 20-30 yr old $200-300k homes, they have over $500k invested. It’s a beautiful home that would sell in a heartbeat in a newer development for $50k+ over their current asking price but since they are next to a 25 year old home that has really gone downhill in the last 3 years they were on the market for 90 days before winter and have been back on the market 20 days this year with no offers, even though they get showings daily.

If it was me I would be ok with being $100k over average price in a new neighborhood that is homes $200k and up. What I have seen in those neighborhoods getting to be 10 years old that have the $130-150k homes is you have owners who bought bc a mortgage is cheaper than renting but either don’t have the $ or don’t care about maintenance. Once you get a few of those on a block it really makes the whole block look less appealing to a buyer and forces your resale down.

If the core floor is what you choose I think it would be pretty easy to make do. I thought about using my core as storage for everything and then building a wall between the 2 stall portion of the garage and having the 2 car deep 3rd stall as my own little man cave that feels a little more disconnected from the home. That should give you enough room for all your tools, some sleds and maybe a couch and a tv. Between the distance from the house and the extra wall I would guess you would have to get pretty loud to bother anyone in the house. You could also heat that area a little easier if you’re not opening and closing the garage door multiple times a day.

Premium Features