• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Garage Floor coating?

I recently bought a house that was built in 1996 and I'd like to get some sort of surface coating down on the garage floor before I move in there. The current house I live in was built in 2012 and every 2 years I applied concrete garage paint to the floor to protect it. It was not a permanent solution since I did not intend to be there long term. It was relatively easy and inexpensive to do. The house I'll be moving into is a long term move. Unfortunately, I did not take note of what condition the concrete garage floor was in when I looked at the house during the showing but I have to imagine that it may need at least some minor work.

Obviously having it done professionally is the ideal solution. Hiring a company to treat and prep the existing concrete, and then apply a polyurea or epoxy coat that has a long term warranty is what I'd like to do. However, I'm experiencing some logistical issues with that because I would need to have it done prior to moving anything into the garage. Some of these companies that I could hire are backed up for weeks out and they can't just drop what they're doing to do mine. Once I get my stuff in there, removing it for a few days again really isn't an option.

I've considered just trying to do it myself with one of those DIY Epoxy Shield kits. Anyone ever try these? How difficult was it? Were you satisfied with the results?

I recently bought a house that was built in 1996 and I'd like to get some sort of surface coating down on the garage floor before I move in there. The current house I live in was built in 2012 and every 2 years I applied concrete garage paint to the floor to protect it. It was not a permanent solution since I did not intend to be there long term. It was relatively easy and inexpensive to do. The house I'll be moving into is a long term move. Unfortunately, I did not take note of what condition the concrete garage floor was in when I looked at the house during the showing but I have to imagine that it may need at least some minor work.

Obviously having it done professionally is the ideal solution. Hiring a company to treat and prep the existing concrete, and then apply a polyurea or epoxy coat that has a long term warranty is what I'd like to do. However, I'm experiencing some logistical issues with that because I would need to have it done prior to moving anything into the garage. Some of these companies that I could hire are backed up for weeks out and they can't just drop what they're doing to do mine. Once I get my stuff in there, removing it for a few days again really isn't an option.
garage flooring lake havasu
I've considered just trying to do it myself with one of those DIY Epoxy Shield kits. Anyone ever try these? How difficult was it? Were you satisfied with the results?
thanks in advance for any help

B

big_red1a

Oct 23, 2008
The kits from Costco or Canadian Tire will look nice and last a few years. Unfortunately they suffer from hot tire pick up and need to be redone often. Best to rent a diamond grinder and find a way to purchase commercial grade epoxy. It will smell awful and likely require a specific respirator to protect your lungs. Good Luck.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I researched this when I bought my house. To get something that lasted without having to recoat anything every few years landed me at commercial epoxy coatings. Was going to be around $5000 for 30x35 floor back in 2016 to have them grind the surface and apply it. Was a little too much for me to swallow after just purchasing the house. Now I'm in the same situation with everything in there it would be tough to clean it out and do sometime down the road.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I just run raw concrete but treated with a lithium silicate densifier/sealer. I have 9 years of VERY heavy in/out with sleds, bikes, trucks, equipment etc and the floor is still in great condition. it doesnt soak up oil or water, the surface has minimal scuffing from machines on it. its pretty awesome. Super easy to apply. You can always put a fancy epoxy over the top but having rock hard quality concrete as a base is a KEY starting point for a nice shop.

S
Oct 22, 2017
Porcelain tile is my vote. Take a look at Garage Journal for ideas, but in my opinion that's the best option if this is the forever house (it's more expensive, but holds up to ANYTHING, isn't slippery and looks fantastic).

After that, I would go with Swisstrax or Racedeck. I've had polyaspartic, epoxy, polished, etc. and all of them wear with use (but we have at least one vehicle with studs, or we're moving a carbide across the floor). Porcelain won't wear, and Swisstrax/Racedeck while pretty dang bulletproof, can just be replaced if one of the tiles is damaged. I have the flow through product in my shop right now, and it's fantastic if you have snow where you live since it all just pools below the tile.

I just run raw concrete but treated with a lithium silicate densifier/sealer. I have 9 years of VERY heavy in/out with sleds, bikes, trucks, equipment etc and the floor is still in great condition. it doesnt soak up oil or water, the surface has minimal scuffing from machines on it. its pretty awesome. Super easy to apply. You can always put a fancy epoxy over the top but having rock hard quality concrete as a base is a KEY starting point for a nice shop.

epoxy flooring Corpus Christi
thank you so much for your suggestion

Porcelain tile is my vote. Take a look at Garage Journal for ideas, but in my opinion that's the best option if this is the forever house (it's more expensive, but holds up to ANYTHING, isn't slippery and looks fantastic).

After that, I would go with Swisstrax or Racedeck. I've had polyaspartic, epoxy, polished, etc. and all of them wear with use (but we have at least one vehicle with studs, or we're moving a carbide across the floor) Premier Floor Restoration. Porcelain won't wear, and Swisstrax/Racedeck while pretty dang bulletproof, can just be replaced if one of the tiles is damaged. I have the flow through product in my shop right now, and it's fantastic if you have snow where you live since it all just pools below the tile.
thank you for your suggestion

Premium Features