• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Converting a flatland '12 Renegage 600 Etec for mountains

turboDS1300

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
Hi guys - a friend of mine is going to ride out west with us this year and had some questions. I'm not uber familiar with what Skidoo has been up to the past couple years but hopefully you can help. His sled is a 2012 Renegade with the 600 Etec. Track is a 137x1.25 and is dialed in for sea level riding in the midwest. Sled is all stock currently, however he is considering a full Straightline Performance exhaust. He is not planning to switch his track for now. We will be riding from 7-10k. I know he will not be climbing wicked chutes or setting highmarks but what have been solid setups for converting this sled to basic mountain use?

Questions for you:
- Clutching advice (pins, springs, ramps, helix, etc)

- I would think he would certainly want to gear this sled down a bit. It is my understanding that his factory gearing should be 25/45, whereas the BCX and Summits run around 21/45. Of course they are turning taller and potentially longer tracks but for the $$, I really want to recommend gearing down to my friend.

- Suspension/swaybar setup?

- Anyone have performance experience with the SPI 600 etec pipe/can at elevation?

Thank you very much for your help.

G
Dec 1, 2007
Minnesota
At least 21/45 gearing, the 600 Etec summits come 19/49. Run a the hollow pins in primary, 160/260 primary spring (we run 160/290 in the summits). Replace rear helix with a straight 44. Unhook sway bar one side and crank up the shocks. Replace track with a 2" paddle track. Remove rubber from rear blocks to get max transfer. Loosen up bolt and flip up. Taller handle bars, center grab bar, lefty throttle, handle bar hooks, venting, frog skin over vents, extra gal. gas tank on tunnel.

P

papa bear

Nov 26, 2007
Hobart, WA
It all depends on what you want to do, how much money you want to spend and where you want to go in the mountains (type of snow).

You indicated you don't want to change tracks. Therefore, the clutching and gearing should be adjusted for that 1.25 lug track and the 7k-10k altitudes. Yellowstone comes to mind. You can still have fun with 1.25 inch lugs, however, you won't be climbing the stuff where the summits go.

My wifes sled is a 600sdi Gade with 136 track. It is a fun sled. It won't go as high on the mtn as my summit, but it is a fun, fun sled in the mountains.

You apparently are in the Twin cities. I suggest you contact BJ, Sled Head Racing, in Oak Grove Minnesota.

turboDS1300

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
Just what I was looking for...

Thank you!

At least 21/45 gearing, the 600 Etec summits come 19/49. Run a the hollow pins in primary, 160/260 primary spring (we run 160/290 in the summits). Replace rear helix with a straight 44. Unhook sway bar one side and crank up the shocks. Replace track with a 2" paddle track. Remove rubber from rear blocks to get max transfer. Loosen up bolt and flip up. Taller handle bars, center grab bar, lefty throttle, handle bar hooks, venting, frog skin over vents, extra gal. gas tank on tunnel.

turboDS1300

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
Papabear - yes I agree and understand your point. My friend who owns the etec is stoked to get some miles on it due to poor snow conditions we had in Minnesota last year. With a few basic changes, he will be able to have some fun out west. I am very well aware that it isn't a mountain sled and I've communicated that to him too, but I respect his decision to tweak and play on his own sled. And yes, the destination is Island Park. :) Good call on that one.

Anyone run SPI exhaust on the 600 etec's at elevation?

It all depends on what you want to do, how much money you want to spend and where you want to go in the mountains (type of snow).

You indicated you don't want to change tracks. Therefore, the clutching and gearing should be adjusted for that 1.25 lug track and the 7k-10k altitudes. Yellowstone comes to mind. You can still have fun with 1.25 inch lugs, however, you won't be climbing the stuff where the summits go.

My wifes sled is a 600sdi Gade with 136 track. It is a fun sled. It won't go as high on the mtn as my summit, but it is a fun, fun sled in the mountains.

You apparently are in the Twin cities. I suggest you contact BJ, Sled Head Racing, in Oak Grove Minnesota.

Premium Features