• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"Contrarian" First Ride Review: 2023 Gen5 Turbo Expert

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I would not make drastic changes after only one ride. It is also hard to make real comparisons unless you are riding two sleds back to back.

I sold my 2018 SP Summit to a buddy. We rode all season with me on my 2020 Freeride with the t-motion removed and replaced with c-motion. I felt some differences then we swapped sleds back and forth. We both noticed how much better it was without t- motion, with minimal extra effort.

My point is using memory alone as the basis for product comparisons is fraught with issues.

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I think a lot of Gen 4 riders are missing the power steering feel from the DS3's. But with that comes the darting . I buy a new sled every year or two and I can say this is the best of all of them by a long shot (23 Expert 165 ). Coming from Polaris last year. The 180 hp engine is phenomenal !! Ski Doo has there work cut out for themselves trying to improve on the Turbo E-Tec. The Expert with the T-Motion X might just be the perfect sled for most. It would fall in the middle of the X and the Expert.

turbonium

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2009
I have 200 miles on my 23 freeride 154 turbo. I took my sway bar disconnect off this week and it is way easier to ride. I do have t motion and will be leaving it on as well. The new sled can wheelie and steer around. So easy to ride. Had to lower my bars more than my 22 because it seems like they are higher.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I think a lot of Gen 4 riders are missing the power steering feel from the DS3's. But with that comes the darting . I buy a new sled every year or two and I can say this is the best of all of them by a long shot (23 Expert 165 ). Coming from Polaris last year. The 180 hp engine is phenomenal !! Ski Doo has there work cut out for themselves trying to improve on the Turbo E-Tec. The Expert with the T-Motion X might just be the perfect sled for most. It would fall in the middle of the X and the Expert.
What did you ride last year?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Love hearing the ride reports on the new models. I think its awesome that one guy jumps on a sled and its the next best thing and the next guy gets on it and says eeehhhh, its ok and the next guy says the thing sucks. Its all what we like and what fits us.. Just makes it tough to dump $25k on a sled nowadays not knowing. We all do it.

Im sure its just a learning curve Christopher and just not used to it. You will be ripping that thing before you know it. All the videos on line it sure does look better than previous model sleds. One thing about BRP, they are constantly trying to better their product. I will give them that.
The thing I am really coming to appreciate about the Ski-Doo sleds, is that they make one that is damn near perfect for everyone.
You just have to take the time to figure out WHICH ONE IS RIGHT FOR YOU.

For "ME" the 22 Expert was freaking dead on, absolutely LOVE my sled.
The 23 Expert was a big change and not in the right direction for "ME" and my own unique riding requirements.
But happily enough, they are offering a Summit-X Turbo that IS everybit as good as my 22 Expert and MORE.
So I will SnowCheck a new 2024 Summit-X Turbo and make a handful of mods to it here and there and I should be set for the next several years!!!:)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Few things I noticed about my g5 expert is it just didn’t ride like my 21 expert did .
The front shocks on the 23 I believe are softer sprung and valve different, I swapped out the front a arms to the 36” and put pro 40s up front and in now is a lot like my 21 for predictability. The DS4 skis are not for me either.
If I were to do this over I would buy a summit sp and dial it in with good shocks from Enzo and add the few other little things the expert has I like .
I do feel the 21 was more dialed in from the factory than this 23 but with some time I’ll get it to where it needs to be .
Also I need it to do 2 things good ride in the mountains and here in Saskatchewan at 2000 feet cross country riding so more of a struggle to do both decent without major changes
Also someone asked about a rear arm that can go from t motion to lock out . I know raptor ace kit had a rear arm on there kit you could have t mo or lock out .
Swapping out the factory shocks for some PREMIUM AFTERMARKET units ALWAYS improves the ride.
I remember putting a set of Raptors and WHAT a difference that makes.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Funny how we all have opinions because mine is the opposite. I'm a bigger guy (260 lbs and 6'1") that is middle aged. I came off a 2020 Expert (great machine) but over rode it. I always thought it was the T-motion. I would be climbing a hill and be all over the place because the sled would switch direction on me following the terrain. More than likely it was just me. I felt like I was always correcting what the sled was trying to do. Don't get me wrong, I loved the sled and it was a blast to ride. I've only been out once on me 23' Expert and I must say, it fits me like a glove! It doesn't follow the terrain and go all over the place, it does what I want it to do. This is my opinion but I'm not in the "weeds" like a lot of you. I just want to have fun and don't need to be the big dog.
From that short description I would bet you are going to LOVE THE 23 EXPERT!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I would not make drastic changes after only one ride. It is also hard to make real comparisons unless you are riding two sleds back to back.

I sold my 2018 SP Summit to a buddy. We rode all season with me on my 2020 Freeride with the t-motion removed and replaced with c-motion. I felt some differences then we swapped sleds back and forth. We both noticed how much better it was without t- motion, with minimal extra effort.

My point is using memory alone as the basis for product comparisons is fraught with issues.
I took my 22 Expert and my 23 Expert and rode them BACK TO BACK all day yesterday.
Tried to be VERY CAREFUL in my comparison.
Rode both sleds in the EXACT same location over and over again to build up the conclusions I reported earlier.

My son and I simply switched back and forth between the two sleds over and over again.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Agreed!
Ski-Doo has simply NAILED THE ENGINE on the 23 Turbo.
The power is just great!

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Few things I noticed about my g5 expert is it just didn’t ride like my 21 expert did .
The front shocks on the 23 I believe are softer sprung and valve different, I swapped out the front a arms to the 36” and put pro 40s up front and in now is a lot like my 21 for predictability. The DS4 skis are not for me either.
If I were to do this over I would buy a summit sp and dial it in with good shocks from Enzo and add the few other little things the expert has I like .
I do feel the 21 was more dialed in from the factory than this 23 but with some time I’ll get it to where it needs to be .
Also I need it to do 2 things good ride in the mountains and here in Saskatchewan at 2000 feet cross country riding so more of a struggle to do both decent without major changes
Also someone asked about a rear arm that can go from t motion to lock out . I know raptor ace kit had a rear arm on there kit you could have t mo or lock out .

Do you have your front shocks still?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
I took my 22 Expert and my 23 Expert and rode them BACK TO BACK all day yesterday.
Tried to be VERY CAREFUL in my comparison.
Rode both sleds in the EXACT same location over and over again to build up the conclusions I reported earlier.

My son and I simply switched back and forth between the two sleds over and over again.
It has been my experience as well with my limited time riding it, in anything other than powder this sled appears to require more effort.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
It has been my experience as well with my limited time riding it, in anything other than powder this sled appears to require more effort.
You wont here this from polaris riders but it shows how one gets use to a sled, riding the sled requires more input and strength, it is planted as well and great for sidehilling. It is the reason they made the kaos with a limiter strap that adjust and now it is the new sled of choice for many and being cool even though it is a detuned rmk, we often have dealers ride all the sleds and on the polaris many of them are tired by noon but on the doo they can ride right through the day, Again this is not a hit on polaris, there sled works awesome and of course guys who ride them won't agree but it is because they are use to it. So the same holds true with the expert, if you ride it you will say it is not more work and works awesome, it is the ability to get use to something and as you build the strength and amount to pull it, then you do and after a day your use to it, again no right or wrong, just different.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
You wont here this from polaris riders but it shows how one gets use to a sled, riding the sled requires more input and strength, it is planted as well and great for sidehilling. It is the reason they made the kaos with a limiter strap that adjust and now it is the new sled of choice for many and being cool even though it is a detuned rmk, we often have dealers ride all the sleds and on the polaris many of them are tired by noon but on the doo they can ride right through the day, Again this is not a hit on polaris, there sled works awesome and of course guys who ride them won't agree but it is because they are use to it. So the same holds true with the expert, if you ride it you will say it is not more work and works awesome, it is the ability to get use to something and as you build the strength and amount to pull it, then you do and after a day your use to it, again no right or wrong, just different.
All in on your reply except the the Khaos being a detuned rmk. Doos were always more fun for a lot of stuff but the polaris was more precise. That is why the kaos was made to fix that. Skidoo came with the expert to help on precision. Neither are fixing anything really. Just giving options.
I also have buddy's that are so used to doo that they don't buy into the gyro effect or inertia from high secondary which is there. So you are right that you get used to stuff and just compensate for it. Sometimes unknowingly. Both great sleds and you are also great for coming on here all the time.

snopro11

Premium Member
Nov 13, 2009
I really like the g5 expert turbo unreal power, great rear skid, ergos. Coming off of an alpha I don't think the track gets as much traction in pow as an ac powerclaw alpha, only real complaint is the softly valved front shocks on the expert, they make the front feel divey (note the front skis are not on the ground much) coupled with the sway bar. I'm getting the shocks revalved extra stiff and pulling the swaybar out.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I really like the g5 expert turbo unreal power, great rear skid, ergos. Coming off of an alpha I don't think the track gets as much traction in pow as an ac powerclaw alpha, only real complaint is the softly valved front shocks on the expert, they make the front feel divey (note the front skis are not on the ground much) coupled with the sway bar. I'm getting the shocks revalved extra stiff and pulling the swaybar out.
Nothing has the traction of that track. If cat had it stamped for a 2 rail skid there would be a pile of people from all brands running it.

S
Mar 18, 2018
Some very good info here. As with everything however I tend to disagree on the Alpha Track, until this year thought the same but the new track on the Expert works very well and right up there with the Alpha track- just my 2 cents!

Premium Features