• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

COMPFUSION's IMPROVED MOTOR MOUNTS FOR THE 900 IQ's - 2005 AND 2006 MODELS

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
C

CompFusion

Dec 10, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
Whew, Trick'R'treatin with a 5 year old.... forgot how much fun it was...:)) He was Ironman and, apparently, I was Daddy...no matter what I wore..lol

Well since guido has done my work I can tell you that it's a 5/16" hole through the crossmember. You can do it by hand but a drill press makes nice holes square to the piece.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
What torque are the 4 torx bolts supposed to be torqued to?

I torqued them to 40 ft-lbs .... I can't find the spec in the service manual :confused:

C

CompFusion

Dec 10, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
What torque are the 4 torx bolts supposed to be torqued to?

I torqued them to 40 ft-lbs .... I can't find the spec in the service manual :confused:

The torx bolt holding the plate to the cross-member is a 5/16"-18 tpi. General torque specs list such a bolt at 22-24 ft/lbs for grade 5. That will be fine in this particular situation. Over-torque might lead to collapsing of the cross-member. Tighter is better doesn't apply to many of these bolts. Once metal to metal contact is achieved more torque puts additional strains on hardware that can cause early failure.
BTW: general torque specs can be found in the service manual in section 2 page 5.

Cheers

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Just got my Copfusion motor mounts in the mail and installed. They are a great addition to the sled and i know they will work ten fold over the stockers. Thanks for the help Copfusion and you comitnent to the 900 as well as the owners. can wait to get this thing buttoned up and ont he snow.

P.S. For you 900 owners in the states. Canada air takes quite a while to get things shipped down here, so anyone who wants a set, hurry up and order.

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
Alright so i installed the compfusion mounts last nite. They look great!While i was dropping the motor back in my slp torque arm bushings fell out (destroyed). Man this sled had some problems!:mad: Every mount that held the engine at all was junk! With these new mounts do i still need the torque arm and push arm from slp? I wont be able to buy them now with christmas coming and already being low on $$$.

C

CompFusion

Dec 10, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
Hi CS. When coming up with the idea for this kit it was intended as a standalone. When asked, I do recommend guys try it by itself as engine movement is controlled very well without the need for additional gear. A lot of guys have installed the SLP parts, I guess, because they have already purchased the pieces and don't want it sitting on a shelf.
I figure if you have some snow, then go riding..:)

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
Hi CS. When coming up with the idea for this kit it was intended as a standalone. When asked, I do recommend guys try it by itself as engine movement is controlled very well without the need for additional gear. A lot of guys have installed the SLP parts, I guess, because they have already purchased the pieces and don't want it sitting on a shelf.
I figure if you have some snow, then go riding..:)

Thanks Colin! Thats what i wanted to hear!:D I will go without the slp torque/push arms. If it ends up being that i do need them then i can always order them later in the season! Thanks again!

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
well shoot..

ran into a big problem today...

was installing the 09 front end on my wifes 06 rmk 700, and droped a washer in the bulkhead..i started fishing around with a magnet, and believe it or not..i pulled the cup and a busted grade 8 bolt from the MAG side..

i am running compfusion motor mounts, all grade 8 bolts, and also found my SLP push arm was smashed up hardcore againist the stator housing..

talk about a sad moment for me, lol..i am suppose to go sledding wed morning and again with a huge group this saturday..

the only thing i can imagine that would have caused this is...

i bought the compfusion motor mounts USED...and they were complete MINUS one of the spacers that goes through the mounts and the bolt goes through the spacer...

so i mocked one up myslef..used some solid cold rolled steel, 5/8" i think it was..not sure though..and drilled my own 3/8" hole through the center...it wasnt quite perfect not centered, but i honestly didnt think it would be that big of a deal..

yes, i know...HUGE STUPID move..but the local steel shop, wouldnt touch it..they said they would machine me one for $100..WHAT...nor would they drill it out for me..

well, i learned the hard way..and not quite sure what i will do to repair it so soon..i need the correct spacer, and need to figure out how to get the busted bolt out from the motor as well...

sad, sad day for me, lol..

but i will tell you what..i dont know how long it was broken..we have put about 200miles on the sleds this last week or 2....and the 1 compfusion mount and SLP push arm that was still intact...REALLY saved my wifes motor from severe SH!T storm that could have happened..

G

ghostwhite

Feb 12, 2009
Baghdad, Iraq
well shoot..

ran into a big problem today...

was installing the 09 front end on my wifes 06 rmk 700, and droped a washer in the bulkhead..i started fishing around with a magnet, and believe it or not..i pulled the cup and a busted grade 8 bolt from the MAG side..

i am running compfusion motor mounts, all grade 8 bolts, and also found my SLP push arm was smashed up hardcore againist the stator housing..

talk about a sad moment for me, lol..i am suppose to go sledding wed morning and again with a huge group this saturday..

the only thing i can imagine that would have caused this is...

i bought the compfusion motor mounts USED...and they were complete MINUS one of the spacers that goes through the mounts and the bolt goes through the spacer...

so i mocked one up myslef..used some solid cold rolled steel, 5/8" i think it was..not sure though..and drilled my own 3/8" hole through the center...it wasnt quite perfect not centered, but i honestly didnt think it would be that big of a deal..

yes, i know...HUGE STUPID move..but the local steel shop, wouldnt touch it..they said they would machine me one for $100..WHAT...nor would they drill it out for me..

well, i learned the hard way..and not quite sure what i will do to repair it so soon..i need the correct spacer, and need to figure out how to get the busted bolt out from the motor as well...

sad, sad day for me, lol..

but i will tell you what..i dont know how long it was broken..we have put about 200miles on the sleds this last week or 2....and the 1 compfusion mount and SLP push arm that was still intact...REALLY saved my wifes motor from severe SH!T storm that could have happened..

Ouch and then some. Can't help ya but I hope for the best!

C

CompFusion

Dec 10, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
well shoot..

so i mocked one up myslef..used some solid cold rolled steel, 5/8" i think it was..not sure though..and drilled my own 3/8" hole through the center...it wasnt quite perfect not centered, but i honestly didnt think it would be that big of a deal...

Being centered isn't such a big deal but having the ends of the spacer flat and parallel to each other is. When you bolt several pieces together like that and the end isn't square it puts a bend in the bolt which will lead to failure later on.

No biggie....parts on the way..:)

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Being centered isn't such a big deal but having the ends of the spacer flat and parallel to each other is. When you bolt several pieces together like that and the end isn't square it puts a bend in the bolt which will lead to failure later on.

No biggie....parts on the way..:)

OUTSTANDING SERVICE...posted and 1 hr later, the parts are ready to go...flat out amazing!!!

you know colin..i bet you that is EXACTLY what happened..

i did have to cut about 3 different spacers before i got one that was close to parallel..and i dont think it was perfect enough...

i dont have a cutting wheel, just a grinder...it was a challenge...trust me..lol..

thank you again for your help..

name your price!!!:beer;:beer;:beer;

N

NewfieBullet1973

Dec 20, 2007
Hey Sean - man you got to stop breaking those sleds - I could see if you were ridin' them hard LOL.

That's what you get for dealing with us Newf's!!!!!!!

Oh Yeah The Sled looks FINE!!!!!!! Like to get my hands on that one!!!!

Last edited:
J

J.Jensen

Feb 15, 2010
Northern Norway
Ttt.

Do I need to get new motor mounts in addition to this kit?

My sled really rattles on idle, the ski's probably love 2"+ from side to side st the tips. I hope a set of new mounts and this installed during the summer will do good :)

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
Ttt.

My sled really rattles on idle, the ski's probably love 2"+ from side to side st the tips. I hope a set of new mounts and this installed during the summer will do good :)

He recommends replacing the two rear stock mounts at the time of install.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
the massive vibs you are getting could "also" be from the factory torque stop and the SLP push arm being pushed againist the motor...they should NOT touch the engine...leave a gap around .15 thou between them..

that or your front mounts are shot..

these mounts are an absolute MUST on these sleds and they are AMAZING!!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Ttt.

My sled really rattles on idle, the ski's probably love 2"+ from side to side st the tips. I hope a set of new mounts and this installed during the summer will do good

The mounts are not what causes the vibration... But good ones will help to minimize vibrations on an OTHERWISE GOOD ENGINE AND INSTALL.

Have your primary clutch blueprinted and balanced, have the flywheel balanced, make sure the clutches are set, the torque stops are properly adjusted AND very importantly... the crank taper runout is within spec.

New mounts won't make up for a bad engine/install.

Premium Features