• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 RMK 900 complete build up!

B
Feb 22, 2015
Hey guys, so I just started my first RMK 900 Rebuild today. I know a lot of people say cut bait and run with these, but I love this bad boy! I’m not really sure what I love so much about it, but regardless I love it to do a complete build up. I want to build one bad *** 900. Any ways it’s a 2005 RMK 900 and I need some help here, I know quite a bit about what I’m going to do to it from the post’s that I have read but I want to make sure I don’t miss a single thing. So far my build list consist of the following.
ENGINE: 2006 piston kit, 2006 cylinders, 2006 slp y pipe, 2006 slp pipe, 2006 motor mounts, slp performance flash, fire and ice kit, cleaned and tuned injectors, slp push arm kit. I also found a full turbo kit (found a stupid good deal and couldn’t pass it up) and I keep hearing little whispers about using the rk-tech heads? Any suggestions or things I should add that I’m missing as far as the engine goes?
Engine is all that I have really thought about so far other than the body, all I’m doing to the body is, powder coating the tunnel, (black) putting some better running boards on, powder coated, (orange) then ill powder coat all the front A arms and controls, I’m going to vent both sides of the sled tub, so my belts don’t fry as much and my clutches get that cool air.
As far as suspension and clutching goes, I have no idea what I want to throw on. All I know is that I want to be able to tear up some hills and hit a few jumps. I’m more of a technical rider, and have a few ideas in mind, but what do you guys think? Help me build this beast! Ill post pictures of the entire build, I just tore out the engine and some minor other parts today so I can get the tunnel and other parts powder coated. Thanks guys look forward to this!

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
welcome!
Get some pictures of your project for sure

I know what I love about the 900 RMK, 866cc of torque pulling monster on a decent chassis thats what keeps us here...we understand your addiction!

thanks for sharing

S
Jan 31, 2015
Denver, Co
Good luck! I just bought my first 900 a month ago, rebuilt the motor in about 3 weeks time and took it out this weekend for the first time. Still grinning ear to ear, what a fun sled! Not hard to work on with all the knowledge and tips on here.

I got a ton of help from 410fortune as well as other members on here, great site for new guys like me!

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Welcome to the site. You have an ambitious build ahead of you, there are a couple things I can think of to mention though. If you are planning to rebuild your 05 engine to basically be an 06 engine with 4 injectors, you're going to have some big headaches getting it to fit in the 05 chassis. In 06 when Polaris went to the 4-injector setup, they actually made quite a few changes to the chassis in order to make everything fit. If you try to fit a 4-injector motor into the stock 05 chassis, it won't fit, it has been tried and documented on here before. It takes an enormous amount of changes to the sled to get the required clearance. I don't recall all the requirements off hand, but if memory serves, BIGDAWG posted a thread in the 900 forum doing exactly what you are talking about and he had a much bigger challenge than he ever imagined. My personal reccomendation is that if the sled is an 05 chassis, stick with 05 motor mods with only the 06 updates (pistons and motor mounts). I love my 05, it will still hang with newer sleds pretty well in stock form. 5200 miles and still puts a big smile on my face.

Good Luck:face-icon-small-coo

B
Feb 22, 2015
dang thanks man, i had no idea about the frame issue. sounds good to me though, ill defiantly keep it an 05 motor now lol. so the 06 pistons will fit the 2005 no problem? because if that's the case ill just hone the cylinders and throw them bad boys in. ill for sure use the 06 motor mounts tho. no worries guys ill keep you all posted with an abundance of pictures and issues i run into. any other ideas guys let me know its greatly appreciated!

S
Jan 31, 2015
Denver, Co
The 06 pistons work fine in the 05 cylinders. A lot of the parts can be found on ebay for relatively cheap compared to oem. I got SPI intake boots and motor mounts and they seemed to be of good quality for a fraction of the price. As I am sure you have read, put in grade 8 hardware with the motor mounts, check your throttle/oiler cable as most of the factory ones break; my sled was running fine but when I pulled it apart I found that it had been broken.

One recommendation I have is to be sure to clean all the threads of the bolts going back in, mine all had quite a bit of build up and would have likely given some weird results when torquing them back down. I just took a brass wheel on a grinder and made them shine.

Also if you don't have one, get a good shop manual. Mine came in handy big time, but those times where it was lacking; this forum was a huge help!

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Don't try and top my builds!! Haha jk

Def got a list of stuff to do, was the turbo u got from the "509parts" on eBay? Using the silber control box??

Turbos are not easy, specially with the 900s....super bada$$ but impossible to get support on since there's few of us around. Derek Fischer of attitude industries has the control box we need but 1000% douchebag for support. I've been trying for over a year and nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B
Feb 22, 2015
it was off ebay i cant remember off the top of my head from who though. haha yea im stoked about it! i only paid a grand for the full kit so i snatched it up quick. did you turbo yours? if so youll be my main man for that hahaha. it always seems like when it comes to these things its always one *******. thanks for the heads up

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Yeh u can say I turbo'd mine. Lol.

It's an 06 but like stated above, its a b!tch to tune so converting to 05. I'm not much of a help yet..been on the back burner last 2 yrs so will redo it this summer and finally get somewhere next season if it actually snows..

ace5d36f7af6ffc3dfaa4e1c5763dc9a.jpg

f744a825b524df3991848f5f06321575.jpg

d5c7b0c33efeaafea6da86d9c05441e9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features