• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutching problems

H

highmarkedu

Nov 27, 2007
MT
Cant seem to find the sweet spot with setups ive been trying. I have a 2002 800 Edge RMK: SLP ported cylinders,cut head,reprogrammed cdi,reeds, SLP race pipes. HRP rolled case, 19/43 gearing, running Camo Extreme 156"x16"x2.5"x3.0 pitch. Run 400-410 mains around 5-7k

My problem is im not getting to that magical 8150-8200

Primary setup: Brand new P-85 w/ 10-64's SLP Blue/Pink (140-340)

Secondray setup: R8 helix w/ yellow spring think its an ArcticCat spring(not sure)
Hole 1-7500
Hole 2-7800
Hole 3-7800
Hole 4-7900 (Best setup so far)
Secondary and belt pretty hot after few long hard pulls

2nd Secondary setup: SLP 46/34 w/ EPI orange spring
Hole 1-7700
Hole 3-7500
Hole 5-7100
Secondary and belt pretty hot after few long hard pulls also just couldnt seem to get this setup to work that well but was supposed to be the cats MEOW.

Just trying to get some different suggestions as im no clutching expert but the only thing ive been told is it should pulls the 10-64's and going to 10-62's willl get my rpms up but i lose the pull (torque) lets here some thoughts guys!!!

F

freak58trio

Nov 26, 2007
Sumner,Washington
140/320 primary
10-66
54/40.47 team red/black

Maybe you can cross over the Team #'s or close for the button clutch.
My motor has extensive porting and SLP twins with the can not stinger's .
I run 3-6k with 450 mains mine runs around 8300 hopefully this helps .

H

highmarkedu

Nov 27, 2007
MT
TTT Anybody out there running button clutches just lookin for similar sleds with same mods especially track wise wondering now if that big track is what im fighting

H

highmarkedu

Nov 27, 2007
MT
All i keep getting is go to a TEAM, hard to believe nobody figured out button clutches or has everyone just upgraded to TEAM whats the deal or is it a secret come on guys

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Keep all the same and run a SLP yellow/purple sec spring set fairly loose tortionally, maybe the 2nd hole.
I would jet up a size or 2.....richer seems to make better power and morre foregiving.
If this is better then go 140/300 and 10-62's.....see which works best on your sled.

H

highmarkedu

Nov 27, 2007
MT
Winterbrew so get SLP sec spring and use with SLP helix if no luck you sayin go with 140/300 and 10-62s

E
Feb 22, 2009
I'm running the same identical track, only in a 15" wide. I haven't touched the clutch yet as far as I know its still stock. I'm buzzing @ approx 8300 RPM's I wouldn't say its the track as your sled and mine sound to be very similar with the porting and gearing and whatnot, again I'm a little richer than you. I run 420's w a single SLP and the THING can, just curious on the can your running could you be getting a restriction somewhere?? Perhaps its not clutching??

this1ultraflyz

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Saskatoon, Saskquatchland
I'm running the same identical track, only in a 15" wide. I haven't touched the clutch yet as far as I know its still stock. I'm buzzing @ approx 8300 RPM's I wouldn't say its the track as your sled and mine sound to be very similar with the porting and gearing and whatnot, again I'm a little richer than you. I run 420's w a single SLP and the THING can, just curious on the can your running could you be getting a restriction somewhere?? Perhaps its not clutching??

Hey don't want to steal thread but hows that Thing Can on SLP pipe. Is it lighter than SLP can and Smaller???

E
Feb 22, 2009
Hey don't want to steal thread but hows that Thing Can on SLP pipe. Is it lighter than SLP can and Smaller???

Honestly you would not believe the difference...going from a SLP can to THE THING. I swear by it, it is definatly considerably lighter, allows way more flow through as its pretty much straight through. Creates better back pressure, it is slightly louder but good sounding, more of a low end rumble BRAPPP than the high pitch whee wheee sound the SLP can makes. I strongly believe this can is the way to go, it changed so much on my sled from RPM's to lower EGT's under hood temps, better throttle response etc etc. Only problem I'm having with it is it kind of sits funny in/on the bracket and moves ever so slightly. It's so light and small its hard to secure down properly but I think I might have it this time. Again sorry to jack the the thread here, and good luck getting your sled's RPM's up. Does anyone know at what RPM does the EDGE start loosing power? 8300?? I might have to add some weight...

H

highmarkedu

Nov 27, 2007
MT
Not sure but been told that SLP race pipes im running are different than the consumer pipes that come with the can, but ez smoke they are stingers no restrictions there. On the best setup ill see 8000 on my digatron on hardpack but im pretty sure its hitting that when it blows the track off but instantly falls off. In the untracked on flat still pulls the same rpms all my testing has been on pretty steep fresh climbs no track poaching. Im tryin out winterbrews ideas ordered both slp springs already have the weights layin around so hopefully she will make some power this weekend ive been tinkering with this sob for too long

Premium Features