• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cat guys - need some help/advice!

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
First, I have never owned a Cat, mostly Yamaha, one Poo. My adult son has been riding a few M cats this year and has decided that this needs to be his next sled. He is a good rider, loves to sidehill, carve, boondock and mellow jumps/drops, nothing big. Likes to play on rolling hills with some climbing. but big/steep not a big priority. He is about 6'1 and 240 lbs. He has a chance to buy a M7 with a 1000 big bore kit, boss seat, upgraded track(not sure what), upgraded skid (maybe a holtz, not sure), riser, nos, other stuff I think and about 600 miles. The guy needs $8K. What kind of a deal is this? Thanks as I have no clue on Cats. Any concerns, issues, etc?

M

mtn_extreme

Nov 11, 2002
Nampa, Idaho
That sled is a high maintenance bigbore from what I have seen. They are strong runners but unpredictable. My opinion, sounds a little high in price too. Heck, for another 1k I'd sell my bb turbo with less than 200 turbo miles.

W
Nov 26, 2007
St. Cloud, MN
For $8000 you could probably get a 2009 M8 this summer and not worry about tinkering with a mod. But if you are good at tuning I woudl go for it but $8000 is alot for that. You can get 2005 M7 with under 2000 miles for 4500-5500.

M

mtn_extreme

Nov 11, 2002
Nampa, Idaho
If this is the sled in Oregon, I will say that he does have ALOT of extras on that sled. I would say not a steal but not getting taken either. Don't know the sled history though.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Buy an 08 or 09 carry over M1000 if he wants the 1000 motor otherwise im sure there are M8 carry overs around too. 8,000 for an M7 even with those mods is high, especially since they are high maintenance mods.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Check some of the dealers for left overs. Or, great deals on this years sleds. LOTS of good deals out there right now!! Not knocking mod sleds but unless you or he are good at tuning and adjusting, some of these big bore sleds can be a hand full to tune, maintain. Some guys will say turn key, problem is that if you live in a different area from where the sled was purchased like east wa. to west wa. the air and moisture density is different so the tuning is not the same. Again NOT knocking mod sleds just be sure on what you really need especially changing brands. Last thing you want is to buy something that you don't really have a handle on as far as tuning goes and place yourself in a situation of having to learn to tune on a new too you sled just to ride.

Last edited:

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
My son is not much of a tuner, he is just about average with knowledge/experience. I switched to Yamaha a while back for the reliability, not having to tune anymore (I wasn't the best tuner by far!), and changing riding style, so I have NO experience with Cats or current technology. My last 2 strokes were a modded '98 Mtn Max and a '00 modded RMK. He certainly seems to be sold on the M sleds after riding a few different ones this season. He also rode a D8 and had no complaints, he just liked the M sleds a little better. I have no real insight on the current M sleds (800 or 1000). Hell, I read about them but have no idea then difference between a Sno Pro, LE, HCR and regular M8. From my limited knowledge so far, I am impressed with the AC lineup, just have no idea what direction to steer him in. Thanks for helping educate me about AC.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I'm with the rest of the guys, left-over 800. Sno Pro has a shock upgrade and the telescoping steering stem, HCR has a wider ski stance and stiffer paddle track. You might as well look for a pair of them. After you ride his you won't have as much fun on the Yammi. The Yamaha is probably the longest life, most dependable sled built, but the lack in the fun factor.

M
Dec 11, 2008
Steamboat, CO
m8 will be my next sled, ride a 06 m7 now and have ridden a m1000 for several days this and last season, the m1000 felt really heavy in the front end to me. I think the m8 is the better choice but it is just my .02.

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
If he's not a tuner, leave it stock, or stick with bolt on mods that do NOT require tuning.

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
OK - great input. A M8 or a M1000 and why? A 153 or a 162 and why? Thanks all.

Hard to answer this question.
The 1000 has more torque and mod potential... It does feel a little heavier in the front end, and you may be a little more tired at the end of the day.
I prefer the 153 over the longer tracks, although in the real deep on my 1000 I think the 162 would perform quite a bit better.
Since he is a bigger kid, I would say get the 1000.
Either way he will be smiling continuously.

sprockethead

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern UT
Of course the year is going to matter. There r so many inprovements from year to year. Would take quite a bit to tell of all improvements. Tracks change, suspension, shocks, weight savings and on and on. For example the rear suspension on 09's lost up to 22 lbs depending on the model. Sleds r just like buying a computer, always improving. Just look for the best deal on a new or like new sled and take it. U can always upgrade it later. Go stock or go home early! I know I've gone home early alot, lol!

Sprocket

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
I would go 08 or newer. Some of the 07'S were good and have survived the dreaded first year problems. If you buy a left over talk to the dealer alot, make sure you understand that ALL of the updates have been done to the sled. Like ecu reprogram and I would go as far as checking ALL the wiring harness on either model, seems they are suffering from poor quality control when it comes to wire routing. Definitely gear it down. These sleds come from the factory geared too high. This seems like alot of stuff to know about a new sled but you will have the same issue with any of the sleds for sale today, sad,, but that's the way it is. Look on some of the other sites like in general, there is a survey going on about what sleds are being towed out and so far, arctic cat seems to be low on the list of sleds towed. With your son's size maybe look at the 1000. Haven't ridden these sleds but I weigh 210 and plan on getting a 1000. Been ten years since I've ridden but, it's like riding a bike once you've done it's not so hard to remember how to. If he decides to buy a 1000 make sure the clutches have been checked and rechecked for alignment in every possible way. this sled has LOTS of torque not a bad thing but has engine movement so be aware. I would start by gearing down first, don't get talked into buying a bunch of clutch parts, like stiffer springs or clutch weights and such. Stick with the basics some say on the 1000 all this sled needs for a gear change is to go from 60/60 to 57 63 or so. Now like I said earlier, I haven't messed with one of these but know from past experience that, with the sled on a stand in the garage with the track off the ground once the engine has been warmed up and the clutches the same when you rev it all the way out to wide open throttle and the speedo climbs over 100 mi. an hr. the sled is tooo high geared... I have mentioned this on other sites and am sure I've been laughed at but believe me if a sled will pull 100 in your garage and the elevation you ride at is higher and the snow is deep. The sled will be too high geared. The next thing that will happen is it will start eating belts, and the common answer is to change the clutches in some manner. WRONG, try gearing down first use the recommended high elevation springs buy the manufacture. Other than that do the usual MAKE SURE AND CHECK BOLTS DURING THE FIRST RIDE along with other stuff. I know these should be pull and go but like I said earlier, for some reason they get slapped together at the factory and it is put on the dealers to figure out what is screwed up or not installed properly and , sometimes things get missed at the dealership. OH! ask around to find a good dealer, sounds like there are some in business for the buck, not the customer. so be careful. This sled has a hunger for 2 stroke oil,,, this is adjustable so don't worry too much about it. The power valve cable routing is important so check it. the 08's have an electric mechanical reverse, not real fond of it and the gear case drive gears are a pressed together design there are better gears from the original manufacture of the gear box and being it would be wise to gear down anyway buy the gears from them, Black Diamond is their name. Well this should help I hope,, seems like alot of stuff to know but hey learning is knowledge. YES I will buy one of these even with the issues mentioned. BIG POWER handle well with some suspension tuning handle even better. Some guy's want turn key or something not sure what. These things come setup generac cause, one size doesn't fit all can't, no way no how, just the nature of the thing, if they were, you would have to go to the dealership and be fitted too the sled, not gonna happen.

Last edited:
Premium Features