• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Carls Cycle 900-Ride Report

G

ghost rider

Dec 1, 2007
PA 1100

I don't think there is going to be as big of $ difference as one might think. You can sell your stocker for $4500 buy Brad's for $12000 clutched and ready to ride. A difference of $7500 with 200+ hp at the blip of the throttle, I heard Carls 900 is going to be between 5k to 6k after motor work, head, pipe, reeds and power commander. $1500ish more for a sled that weighs in around 410 pounds with a considerable amount more torque and horsepower at tap.:face-icon-small-coo

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
Curious how Carl's 900 will stack up against Brad's head and the HPS can. One is waaaaay cheaper than the other if there is only a 5-10 hp difference.

A head and can arent going to touch the 900. I have riden ported and piped Pros and they still dont touch the 900 so a "can" with head work isnt going to be close. Not really comparing apple to apples though.

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
I don't think there is going to be as big of $ difference as one might think. You can sell your stocker for $4500 buy Brad's for $12000 clutched and ready to ride. A difference of $7500 with 200+ hp at the blip of the throttle, I heard Carls 900 is going to be between 5k to 6k after motor work, head, pipe, reeds and power commander. $1500ish more for a sled that weighs in around 410 pounds with a considerable amount more torque and horsepower at tap.:face-icon-small-coo

Are people buying stock motors for $4500 frequently? Doesnt seem like there is a big markey for that. Bards motor is WAY more, no matter how you look at it. Granted, I am sure it will have way more power too....not disregarding that. If you want to compare $ to $, take Brads motor vs a turbo 900. That seems more realistic price wise......and the turbo 900 would handle any NA motor.

dpfost

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Agree with AO....Carls 900 rips!! It pulls very hard in the low and mid range. Sounds like it is going to be few weeks before you are able to purchase this motor. Jack wants some more seat time on it to make sure it is ready to go. This motor is way fun to ride!! Little more motor than AO can handle, so he had better stick with his little 8 turbo. :face-icon-small-hap

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Ok guys... Anthony takes the time to chime in here with an ACTUAL ride report on the 900 that has been talked about since last season... and then there is lots of stones being thrown about this or that other option... if you want to do that PLEASE... start a new "comparison" thread... and keep this one on track.

H
Dec 4, 2007
NW
The Carls 900 sounds like it would be the most reliable hp gain for $ spent. I feel like the carls crew especially Struthers tune their stuff to be one of the best turnkey hop ups available. I am sure Brads motor will be great but it was just built and released this season and still needs a lot of tuning per application plus some real mileage. Where as, Carls had a 900 on the snow last season and is still perfecting before releasing to the public. So, AO is right not really comparing apples to apples.

Anyhow, IMHO if I were to spend $4-$5k on a hp upgrade for the Pro then I think I would go with carls 900 over the turbo. I know turbo owners say they turn key and offer the most hp gains but the turbos are adding more parts to the sled and more areas to have issues. Also I assume the Carls 900 is in the 190-200hp range which sounds perfect.

1200psi

Nov 26, 2007
logan ut
www.poweraddictionracing.com
Are people buying stock motors for $4500 frequently? Doesnt seem like there is a big markey for that. Bards motor is WAY more, no matter how you look at it. Granted, I am sure it will have way more power too....not disregarding that. If you want to compare $ to $, take Brads motor vs a turbo 900. That seems more realistic price wise......and the turbo 900 would handle any NA motor.

Ao I have sold every motor that I have pulled for 4500.00 . You take my kit totally complete at 12000.00 That includes everything minus carbs or the efi depending on witch way you go. Sell your NEW motor has to be new and you have a difference of 7500-8000.00 difference. There is not to much difference .

Imo there are way to many bottle necks in the cfi engine that is why I did not build off it. The stockers are haveing a hell of a time with longevity and power .

I have also tested this billet motor for one complete year this is not something that is just released either.

Just some thought.

Brad

Last edited:

stonehands1

Lifetime Membership
Jul 26, 2010
Mt. Baker
Ao I have sold every motor that I have pulled for 4500.00 . You take my kit totally complete at 12000.00 That includes everything minus carbs or the efi depending on witch way you go. Sell your NEW motor has to be new and you have a difference of 7500-8000.00 difference. There is not to much difference .

Imo there are way to many bottle necks in the cfi engine that is why I did not build off it. The stockers are haveing a hell of a time with longevity and power .

I have also tested this billet motor for one complete year this is not something that is just released either.

Just some thought.

Brad

Thats a great point Brad! Hadn't thought about selling all the take out parts from the Pro. 8k is a much easier pill to swallow. Plus 1100 billet is gonna make everyone drool!

@4Z 200hp on pump gas might be a bit of a stretch with the limits of the cfi motor. Maybe not we'll see.:thumb:

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
Does the new cfi still have the same pressed together crank as the older 700&800s if so this might become an issue with the gigantic pistons slinging around in there maybe anyway?

pus1100

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
Troms,Norway
Is the Carls 900 using the stock crank/rod? I would be concerned about going to a 91mm ish bore with the short (132mm) rod that is found on the 800 CFI as the stock rod ratio (1.88) scares me.

curious to see Indydans fix to the extreme rod angle on cfi 800 motors,any news on this?

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
Does the new cfi still have the same pressed together crank as the older 700&800s if so this might become an issue with the gigantic pistons slinging around in there maybe anyway?

The assembly procedure of the crank is not an issue. The rod pins are plenty beefy at 29mm and I wouldn't forsee an issue with pin breakage. My concern would be the side load forces applied to the cylinder from a 91ish mm piston on a 132mm rod.

curious to see Indydans fix to the extreme rod angle on cfi 800 motors,any news on this?

Yeah a longer rod... lol. Last I heard Dan was working on it and hoped to have something sometime in the future.

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID

Just some thought.

Brad

Wow....cool to know. I didnt realize there was a market for the stock motors...but then again, I just ride these darns thing :) Obviously for you guys in the business you would know better. Hope I didnt step on any toes here.....I like the 900 and think it works real well for what it is. I am sure your 1100 is going to rip Brad. I had a Carls 1140 and it was a monster so if your 1100 is anything even close, you are going to have some REAL happy customers. And for what it is worth, I dont plan on having either motor....I am already on a turbo Pro and love it :) Either way, this is ALL good for Polaris owners!

Premium Features