• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can it be done- 400lb PC (crate weight)

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
yes douche bag I did read your OP and now place did it say you are working on a comp sled.

douche bag eh. Well did you read this part or should I just flush you out with your dick comment "So for now the only thing I want to figure is can the cat hit the 400-410lb mark, whats it going to take in parts and $$$$$."

The axys is far above a one time sled so your chit talk is pointless, fact is you take the axys against any cat stock for stock and the cat doesn't have a chance no matter how long it holds up!

For the record Im not talking about a comp sled per say. That is another subject and a completely custom one off build that I will do at some point and change the game!

Last edited:

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
You could always go with some alt impact a arms and drop 5 ish pounds and have a fail safe point if you hit something with the ski.

Right at 6# with the bolt kit and upper aluminum rod end. You can always go with an aluminum rod end on the lowers since it's a game of win but myself I've ran them and it's simply not worth bending a shock. We will have a titanium gun drilled jack shaft soon that we are taking orders on now. Also plan to have an a arm kit compatible with the 16's. Hope I'm not speaking out of turn here but the 5# loss on the engine bolt kit in the previous post....I would have to see what's in it. I thought I looked at that last year and had some pretty heavy doubts. You have to do a lot of bolts and larger scale bolts at that to get to the 5# mark. Again I could be wrong... I need to take some time to update the website, there's quite a few items that need to be added. :)
Dan

S

SNWMBL

Feb 14, 2010
AK
You'd have to remove about 12 lbs worth of bolts to save 5 lbs with Ti. Use Ti where it's neccessary and 7075 bolts where it isn't structural. Aluminum bolts are 60% lighter than steel and 20% lighter than Ti. Composite fasteners would even work in certain locations

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Give C3 a call

Does not look like c3 offers the carbon tank any more

I really really hope Dan comes out with a kit that works with the 16 spindle!!!!! Hint hint hint.......

I talked to C3 last week, the tank is available, just no on the website. It is available on special order. It holds 10 gallons, I use one on my 4stroke but was contemplating adding one to my backup M800.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Right at 6# with the bolt kit and upper aluminum rod end. You can always go with an aluminum rod end on the lowers since it's a game of win but myself I've ran them and it's simply not worth bending a shock. We will have a titanium gun drilled jack shaft soon that we are taking orders on now. Also plan to have an a arm kit compatible with the 16's. Hope I'm not speaking out of turn here but the 5# loss on the engine bolt kit in the previous post....I would have to see what's in it. I thought I looked at that last year and had some pretty heavy doubts. You have to do a lot of bolts and larger scale bolts at that to get to the 5# mark. Again I could be wrong... I need to take some time to update the website, there's quite a few items that need to be added. :)
Dan

Sweet, glad to hear this Dan! I'm skeptical on 5lbs with a titanium bolt kit also, just quoted bdx's website.

I talked to C3 last week, the tank is available, just no on the website. It is available on special order. It holds 10 gallons, I use one on my 4stroke but was contemplating adding one to my backup M800.

Good to know! Curious what the weight difference is between the 14/15/16 small tank. Also is it a long designed tank (similar to the 12/13s, 4-strokes, and trail tanks) or can C3 make one that fits the short factory seats?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Dan

I think BDX may be playing with numbers on the bolt kits. I would guess the 5# comes from doing a chassis AND engine bolt kit. So $1000 instead of $500 or $200/lb. That makes more sense since that is about the going rate when you get rid of the easy stuff.

R

roni87

Feb 11, 2011
I Falls, MN
What is the crate weight on the 141 M8? Can't get a 3" track but comes with a 2.6" and can cut off the extra fingers for a little less weight.

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
If the name of the game is weight.. and it does make a huge difference as you know WYO... I would ditch the injection and just pre-mix, the pump and the tank aren't much, but every pound counts for your project.

Things I did to mine-

BDX Kit- 5 lbs
Seat- 4 lbs
Tank- 5 lbs
Rear skid- 2 lbs
Headlight delete 10 lbs
Motor (Can)- 18 lbs
Oil delete 10 lbs

Never had it on the scale, but the tank and seat where the real deal. If I where to do it again I would probably try to go to something even lighter for a seat like what Burandt does. We never sit down anyway. I know that the rear skid is light, but I think there is weight to be saved there.

If I where building again without a budget-

-Stock cat front bumper
-Alt front end in TI- 6 lbs
-Jaws coated pipe with Diamond S TI can 18+
-TKI belt drive with oil delete 10
-BDX or whose ever's intake with headlight delete 12
-Trail Tank 4
-WRP Seat 4
-BDX drive shaft and flywheel kit 4
-Remove all idlers 5
-B&M boards Wash

that's roughly 60+ lbs right there for decent investment. For sure puts you quite a bit up on power and relatively the same weight. I would guess my old sled which had all those changes except the belt drive was somewhere around 410-420 dry and "felt" as light as the basically stock with a can pro's I ride with.

All the other things we already do, remove foam, etc.

You want to go SUPER crazy and expensive, go like Rob and those boys did and use carbon fiber everywhere, that gets into the 300+ per pound range however.

From all that you've GOT to be close to 400 lbs totally dry.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
With the new limited seat is there any weight to be saved? Cat site claims its 5 lbs lighter than the previous seats. Has anyone opened one up and hacked a few inches of foam out yet?

It seems to me that the difference between 420 lbs and 400 lbs is an insane amount of time and money invested. Mine is going to be around that 430 mark and will have to be good enough for this season. Definitely following this thread for ideas and to see where else you guys are shaving from.

Keep them coming.

I

Icedog

Feb 9, 2006
Grande Cache, AB
Not to side track here but.....how would a BDX ProLite 800 compare to an AXYS? Just wondering because a lot of peeps are not going to tear down a new sled themselves and rebuild it with aftermarket parts. I'd guess that the final price of the two would be close. Maybe that is what Cat could use as a baseline?

F
Apr 5, 2009
Weight savings I've checked from my 13 m8 162

1.2 lbs Foam off of Side panels
16.22lbs Jaws race can ceramic
1.2 lbs Bdx brake rotor
.33 lbs bdx recoil drive
1.5 lbs tail flap gone

That totals to 20.5 lbs

C

coolx2

Nov 29, 2007
When I get my Prolite back together, I'll have to put it on the scale. I have all the the weight loss things done to mine and have a bunch of titanium on it. I know it's a lot lighter then my stocker.

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
take a look at a reputable snocross team's race sled. there is plenty of weight loss ideas there, and those last through many races.. if you can run a mill, lathe, and a drill.. the options are endless.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
If you read my original post?
This post is about a fat heavy pig loosing weight, I don't give 2 chits about the axys chit talk. Keep it strictly to the point of a 400lb PC.
When competing it only has to last long enough to win, winning comes first everything else will be a factor to performance not maintainance. Stick to weight loss and cost.

with an ego like yours the internet is a very small place.

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
So this has nothing todo with losing weight off the sled but!!!.........maybe!! just maybe!!! there is a chance we can.....just a chance!!!! (a small chance) its cheaper to lose o idk 40-60 pounds off of us!
face-icon-small-happy.gif
face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Premium Features