• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can it be done- 400lb PC (crate weight)

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Going to have a little fun here.

Since the new Axys is weighing in off the crate at 417lbs and with a can will drop to around 403lbs does the cat even have a chance to get to that weight.
Starting at over 460lb crate weight whats it going to take.

The axys is an impressive sled and having ridden my chassis modified 16 cat and a 16 axys the axys has the upper hand straight out of the box.
Add a 3" powerclaw to it and a few small tweaks and its going to take a lot to make the cat a competitive equal. Although I prefer the potential handling characteristics and ease of use of the cat better, it wont come into play without weight loss.
Really the only advantage the cat has at all is the powerclaw and solid engine, compared to the same old poo engine that even with changes will not compare for reliability.

I already know what it take to make the chassis work,
So for now the only thing I want to figure is can the cat hit the 400-410lb mark, whats it going to take in parts and $$$$$.

Lets give it the benefit of the doubt and say its starting at 460lbs (I think its actually 468lb but even starting at 460 if I can hit 400 I don't care) remove all the idler wheels and it washes into the 460 number.

Diamond S can is a solid 17lb loss @ $600
Belt drive is 7lb keeping an oil tank @$900 (needs geared up anyway so that's a plus)
So that is 25lbs right away

Down to 435lbs

Who has real numbers for different hoods, pipes, etc

The fire and ice hood I have is claimed to be a solid 12lb loss keeping the stock wiring and gauge. $1000

down to 423lbs

I've been told adding a slp pipe and y pipe will drop 6lbs but not sure. $800 with controller.

down to 417lbs with added power at a cost of $3300
Even at this point it will be a monster but I want 400lbs

Now is where it gets interesting. Seat, tank, panels, better hood options whats next.

I still think I can design a hood that weighs about 6lbs with better intake but I don't know the exact stock hood weight.

Price and weight loss, lets here it

Don't forget the cost of clutching and shock revalve, need to check with TOMS on that if I stay with the stock skid. The stock valving is absolute garbage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
According to my digital bathroom scale my bdx hood with headlight delete weight right at 10.4lbs. It does have every frogskin there is in it though. I plan on weighing my sled when its all done with a long list of parts. I am shooting for 400lb Sled...

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Stock hoods weigh 21.5lbs.

BDX now has a titanium pipe -9lbs (649.95) and titanium can -19.5lbs ($399.95) (requires fuel controller)
Titanium bolt kit -5lbs. ($499.95)
Lite weight jack shaft ($229.95) and track shaft ($249.95) -3.5lbs

Fire-n-ice hood -13.5lbs $995 (extra venting, removing panel foam and clutch panel duct work -1.5lbs)
TKI belt drive w/ tank -7lbs $900

Total - 59

Crate weight 460-59 = 401

Could get an extra 4 off if BDX offered a chrome moly rear suspension arm kit for the 16s

Last edited:

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
you have to look at it from the other side A arms and tunnel that can take an impact and not fold under a pine cone. a crank and case than will stand up to over 1300 miles without a "fix kit" and the cat motor is just flat heaver than the poo due to engineering and this plays into the reliability. I had a good look at the axis the other day and parts are not as stronge IE bumpers, tunnel A arms ect. apples and oranges.
plain and simple Poo has listened to the peeps and marketed to this, is this a long lasting item.... look in the swap.
so now back to the ??? no not if you want to keep it strong. you can get it to low 420 ish. without going broke but the cat will still make as much power LB for lb with upgrades and have longevity. this can be seen with the m over the dragon.

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
Brand new HPS can is 5.1, stock pipe is pretty heavy. Will weigh when it gets back from ceramic coat. Wanted to go with lighter pipe but Dakota Performance really likes the stock pipe on the 920

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
you have to look at it from the other side A arms and tunnel that can take an impact and not fold under a pine cone. a crank and case than will stand up to over 1300 miles without a "fix kit" and the cat motor is just flat heaver than the poo due to engineering and this plays into the reliability. I had a good look at the axis the other day and parts are not as stronge IE bumpers, tunnel A arms ect. apples and oranges.
plain and simple Poo has listened to the peeps and marketed to this, is this a long lasting item.... look in the swap.
so now back to the ??? no not if you want to keep it strong. you can get it to low 420 ish. without going broke but the cat will still make as much power LB for lb with upgrades and have longevity. this can be seen with the m over the dragon.

If you read my original post?
This post is about a fat heavy pig loosing weight, I don't give 2 chits about the axys chit talk. Keep it strictly to the point of a 400lb PC.
When competing it only has to last long enough to win, winning comes first everything else will be a factor to performance not maintainance. Stick to weight loss and cost.

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
Stock hoods weigh 21.5lbs.

BDX now has a titanium pipe -9lbs and titanium can -19.5lbs
Titanium bolt kit -5lbs
Lite weight jack shaft and track shaft -3.5lbs

Fire-n-ice hood -12lbs
TKI belt drive w/ tank -7lbs

Total - 56

Dry weight 460-56 = 404.

Could get the extra 4 off if BDX offered a chrome moly rear suspension arm kit for the 16s

Sold my BDX skid, went with Kmod.. Before I sold it I weighed it. Was right at 36lbs. Not sure what stock weighs?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Fire and Ice hood- A custom carbon fiber hood for the Pro-Climb M series that weighs only 8 lbs. The stock Pro-Climb M-series hood is 21.5 lbs. A loss of 13.5 lbs.
So even with that and a few more vents and vented side panels I think it would be easy to say a 15lb lose.

dropping to 214lbs

not sure this is worth it - P Patrick carbon back half of tunnel -2.2lb $800

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
bdx tank $370 is 6lbs lighter holds 13 gal though and I usually only need about 8 gal most rides. I would be real happy with a 10gal tank that was 8lbs lighter.

Either way that's a pretty big loss for 370.00 -6lbs
down to 408lb

That is if its based on the 16 tank and not the 12 style tank.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Other goodies

C3 carbon tank - 9 lbs / $1000
Aftermarket seat - 3 ish lbs / $400
Jaws Big shark pipe set -18 lbs / $900
P85 primary - 2 lbs - cost varies
Mountain fit hood with delete - 16 lbs / $400
Lightweight BDX stuff as previously mentioned
Belt drive - 9 lbs / $800
Revalve all shocks - $300 Cdn
Foam removal - maybe a pound lost
B&M Fab skinny boards - I presume these are lighter then stock.
Patrick's Custom Carbon has a bunch of stuff for these sleds, too...

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
bdx tank $370 is 6lbs lighter holds 13 gal though and I usually only need about 8 gal most rides. I would be real happy with a 10gal tank that was 8lbs lighter.

down to 408lb

I agree 10gal would be ideal.. I was thinking of only mixing up 10 at time in the BDX tank anyway. I don't see any reason to carry that much where we ride.. But for guys who have long trail rides to get to the goods it is a nice to have the option.. So maybe a snowcheck option..

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana

down to 408lb

Pretty certain the 6lbs is off the 12 tank

Last edited:

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Fire and Ice hood- A custom carbon fiber hood for the Pro-Climb M series that weighs only 8 lbs. The stock Pro-Climb M-series hood is 21.5 lbs. A loss of 13.5 lbs.

So even with that and a few more vents and vented side panels I think it would be easy to say a 15lb lose.

dropping to 214lbs

not sure this is worth it - P Patrick carbon back half of tunnel -2.2lb $800

Minimalist front and rear bumpers. Almost non existent.... No tail light...... No thumb Warmer or grip heaters, lightweight, low output stator, don't need much when there is no headlight, tail light and no heaters, port the power claw,

If we're only talking a sled that's built for one time use, competition only, sky's the limit. You could whittle a sled down to way less then 400 lbs if all you want is for it to "win" once and then replace whatever is bent or junk.

No seat at all, 3 gallon fuel cell, no ski loops, no bumpers, Like I said Endless options when durability is of no concern.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where do you find the tank?

That TI pipe is interesting but I don't trust BMP for performance, questioning that still but really like the 9lb loss, might be worth a try.

But even with the bolt kit and shafts is getting close to the 400lb mark for sure.

Last edited:

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
You could always go with some alt impact a arms and drop 5 ish pounds and have a fail safe point if you hit something with the ski.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Minimalist front and rear bumpers. Almost non existent.... No tail light...... No thumb Warmer or grip heaters, lightweight, low output stator, don't need much when there is no headlight, tail light and no heaters, port the power claw,

If we're only talking a sled that's built for one time use, competition only, sky's the limit. You could whittle a sled down to way less then 400 lbs if all you want is for it to "win" once and then replace whatever is bent or junk.

No seat at all, 3 gallon fuel cell, no ski loops, no bumpers, Like I said Endless options when durability is of no concern.

That's an option but I'm also not willing to risk a lose on a failure. I was more referring to the poo chit talk, as in the motor might not be great but it still holds for 1500 miles pretty consistent. The chassis has no issues IMO, I've hit some pretty harsh stuff without issue and I don't expect a lite sled to hold up like a truck.
Lets just say it has to take a good bump without destroying itself.
Wondering if I could put a pro tank and seat on it for a weight loss.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
If you read my original post?
This post is about a fat heavy pig loosing weight, I don't give 2 chits about the axys chit talk. Keep it strictly to the point of a 400lb PC.
When competing it only has to last long enough to win, winning comes first everything else will be a factor to performance not maintainance. Stick to weight loss and cost.

yes douche bag I did read your OP and now place did it say you are working on a comp sled.

Premium Features