• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Buying new truck

R
Mar 28, 2003
FTC/GWS, CO
So last May I traded my '03 F-250 6.0L in for an '06 6.0L. I have only put 22k miles on the truck in the last year and it has been in the shop for warranty work 5 times. Here is a list of what has been done under warranty: 1.) head gasket; 2.) High pressure oil pump; 3.) Egr cooler; 4.) injectors; and the most recent another high pressure oil pump. My '03 ran great, I had 150k when I traded it in and hadn't ever had a problem with it. I've always owned Fords but right now I don't want to buy another used lemon. I'm looking to spend about $34k on a new truck, if you had the money right now what would you buy. Right now I'm leaning towards an '08 F-250 King Ranch, so far I have heard mostly good things about the new 6.4L. Thanks for reading!! :beer;:beer;

W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane
I would not recommend buying a 6.4L PSD. Mine has been in the shop many times and has left me stranded.

I can't believe Ford is the healthiest auto manufacturer considering the junk they are putting out.

Consumer reports rated the F250/350 as terrible in the reliability catagory.

S
Jul 7, 2002
Central iowa
personally if I needed a new truck today it would be a 09 dmax lmm...or hold out till the 2010 dodges roll out.Ford has been hit and miss since the 6.0.I couldn't afford to gamble with $40,000 on a 6.4.For every person that likes it there is one like wfo has....

D

Dano702

Dec 15, 2007
Sin City
I drove an 87 GMC service truck with no a/c through the Vegas summer because the GM was coming out with a D-Max with 650 ft lbs . I really wanted a new truck but i waited untill the new engine came out . I am very happy i suffered through that summer .

My 06 Duramax has 82,000 miles on it now , most of that is with 12 or 13 thousand pounds behind it on a 30' gooseneck. I change the oil myself every 3000 and have done fuel filters every 15,000 . Lots of air filters and a few twist on tranny filters at 30 something dollars a pop .

The only thing i have done to it is a gooseneck hitch , moulded GM mudflaps , a 105 gallon fuel tank in the bed, and front wheel bearings at 70k . Other than that the truck is stock , i am still on the stock tires at 82,550 . The truck has never been back to the dealer since the day it left .

My next truck will be the same 4 door 2500 short box Duramax , i will just have to do the DPF delete and keep the stock exhaust. The LBZ kicks *** !:D

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
I bought a 08 6.4L that was my decision and couldn't be happier. Personally think its the nicest pickup out there body wise and the engine hasn't disappointed me yet either. Lots of power don't notice any real lack or gain over the duramaxes I've drove which I won't say anything bad about either. Mine is a 08 F250 Job3 with all the updates, 4x4 crewcab with 3:55 gears which is helping my mileage over some I've heard. I'm getting between 16 and 13 hand calculated and 10 to 13 towing 10k pounds. Its the quietest diesel I've ever drove which some might not like but I do and also probably one of the best starting in the winter. I regen around 300 miles if I haven't been towing and 150 if I have. I did a lot of research and most of the problems were either with the radiators before the recall or a limited number with bad injectors.

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
I bought a 08 6.4L that was my decision and couldn't be happier. Personally think its the nicest pickup out there body wise and the engine hasn't disappointed me yet either. Lots of power don't notice any lack or huge gain over the duramaxes I've drove which I won't say anything bad about either. Mine is a 08 F250 Job3 with all the updates, 4x4 crewcab with 3:55 gears which is helping my mileage over some I've heard. I'm getting between 16 and 13 hand calculated and 10 to 13 towing 10k pounds. Its the quietest diesel I've ever drove which some might not like but I do and also probably one of the best starting in the winter. I regen around 300 miles if I haven't been towing and 150 if I have. I did a lot of research and most of the problems were either with the radiators before the recall or a limited number with bad injectors.

Premium Features