• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Building a Sled-Bed for my Pickup *Pictures*

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
So this year I am doing things a little different. I am sick of hauling a trailer to the mountain every time we go riding. We try to ride at least 3-4 times per week and are usually up there at 8am and gone by noon. Short sweet rides right after it snows and we have good powder. I know we are spoiled! Anyways, I have an extra Ford F-250 longbed and am dedicating it to be my sled truck from November-May. I am building a sled-bed to go in the back of it and am really looking forward to hopping in it and going to the mountain without it having to take an hour and a half because someone needs a ride or I have to run home and grab the trailer and gear. I am doing this one out of steel and the ramp slides right under it. I have to go get a 4x10 sheet of plywood tomorrow to finish it and do some last final touches, but will post more pictures and keep you updated as it comes together. Fairly inexpensive to build and it would also be real easy for guys with smaller trucks to do this also. You would just need the legs taller to get above your wheel-wells. I built mine to go all the way to the end of the tailgate, but you could just go to the end of the bed too. It is 118" long and the deck is 48" wide. All of the cross-bars are placed so they distribute the weight of the sled over them and the legs are placed to lock it between the wheel-wells. I also did flat side-walls below it to guide the ramp in and keep it enclosed. The track only stick over about 4" and I have a 162" track. I had to put the legs on the outside because my ramp is 47" wide by 90" long. Here's what it is looking like so far.....

Aaron

BedDeck.jpg

Deckwithramp.jpg

Last edited:
R

Rally2

Dec 2, 2007
Alberta
:beer;:beer; I been thinking of doing this for years but don't have the fab skills. I have a deck but 95% of the time it's just my sled up there. Having the sled in the box keeps the CG lower and better fuel mileage to boot. Very nice job.

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
For some reason it would not let me edit my original post up top, but I got it done. Below are pictures of how it turned out. It works great and was under $200 to build.

PB210128.jpg

PB210125.jpg

PB210129.jpg

PB210124.jpg

Aaron

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I don't mean this as a cut, so please don't take it that way.
What was the reason for doing this aside from locking the ramp? It seems like the sled is sitting the same way it would have if it was just in the bed normally?

Cool build though, well done!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I don't mean this as a cut, so please don't take it that way.
What was the reason for doing this aside from locking the ramp? It seems like the sled is sitting the same way it would have if it was just in the bed normally?

Cool build though, well done!

where would u put the ramp if the sled is sitting in the bed? its not a fold up ramp u set against the side of ur sled. that is the same idea i had for hauling a single sled and a lockable ramp.

S
I'll have to take some pictures of the "single sled deck" I built. Same idea, except I built mine out of 2x6's, and I take my tailgate off. Basically, I hate them fawking folding ramps that slide off while your loading and crap so I didn't want to buy one of them. Figured I'd build my own for cheaper. Anyway, kind of a fun project, cheaper than buying a two place deck and it ends up working slick. There's a couple things I'd do differently with my design if I did it again, but after the changes I made this fall I think I'll be pretty happy for now.

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
Great build. I've thinking of doing something on this principal and like the metal alot better then wood atleast if you have the ability.

Premium Features