• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boycott List

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
I have been informed that backcountry.com donates money to organizations who loby to close lands to snowmobilers. I cannot do business with a company who is against my freedom. I am disgusted that I have ever made purchases from you...

You have been unsubscribed from our mailing list.

Thanks,

Backcountry.com

P
Nov 26, 2007
While Cabelas and others may not be directly against our way of life, throught support of OIA they are. When you read the OIA goals they do not sound so bad, but when you look at what they actively support, they are anti US. They support roadles, closures, wilderness and Legislation to protect our forest from the affects of global warming.

As an officer once said to me ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law. Same goes for supporting groups that work agains us. If a company is supporting a group, they should know what it does.

Many people and companies I think fall into the category of wanting to make the country a better place, so when some group comes along and asks for a $20 membership in a organization that will save XXXX in the rocky mts. They think great and kick in the cash. Never really knowing what is done and how it is affecting us and them.

I grew up in Ohio and lived back east in the 90's. Most people there have no concept of federal land, BLM, forest service or park service. There is no federal land there. So when they here save the national forest they are thinking it is like yellowstone or rocky mt national park, which they visited when they were a kid and surely want to protect.

The same people have no concept were the things they consume actually come from. Electricity comes from the outlet in the wall, hamburger from the grocery, gasoline from the gas pump on the corner. etc.... wood for their new deck-home depot.

The combination of having no concept of where they get the stuff they need and lack of understanding what the situation on the ground in the western us gets us where we are today.

IMO

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
So I see a list of companies who you feel that you interact with who knowingly, or unknowingly battle against your freedom to snowmobile.

I don't know where to start.
We can do nothing and b!%ch and moan that our lands are closed.
We can join a group who will fight the fight for us.
We can take a proactive aproach (do something ourselves).

So here is your list:

3M
Addidas
Adidas
AMAZON
Atlas snow shoe
backcountry.com
Backwoods Equipment
Black Diamond
blue water network
bud
Cabelas
Camelback
chevy
Coleman
Columbia
Confluence Watersports
Coors
Deckers Outdoor Corporation
dodge
dominos pizza
ducks unlimited
Duofold
EMS
Fat Tire Beer
Fedex
ford
Google
Gore Enterprise Communications
Gore Tex
Home depot
Horny Toad
Ibex
Keen
Leatherman
Levis
LL Bean
Mammut
Marmot
Merrell
Microsoft
Mountain Equipment Co-op
Mountain Hardwear
MSR
Nalgene
Nantahala Outdoors
Nature conservancy
New balance
Nike
Nissan
North Cove Outfitters
North Face
OIA
Osprey
outdoor DIVAS
Patagonia
Pfizer
pheasants forever
Prana
Quaker oats
Red Wing Shoe Company
Reebok
REI
River Sports Outfitters
Rosemont Ventures, Inc
Rutabaga Paddlesports
Sara Lee
sierra club
Smartwool
Smith optics
Swiss Army
The Alpine Experience
The Ascentials
The Coleman Company
The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
The Sportsman Skii Haus
Timberland
Turtle fur
U.S. Govt
Velcro
VF Outdoor Inc
Vibram
Waypoint Outdoor
Woolrich

S
Sep 10, 2005
Grand Junction, CO
So how does one choose who to boycott? Do we boycott EVERYONE one OIA's membership list? If we boycott Goretex, then we must boycott Klim. Klim is pro-motorized. Do we boycott BCA? They build avy gear for sledders.
Fed-EX? Velcro?
Companys like Home Depot have sales in the 10s of BILLIONS.(close to 80 billion last year) They donate to thousands of organizations.
It's companys like REI and Patagonia that proudly list support of the environmental extremist groups as part of their corporate policies that are the real issue.

And if you want to point fingers. How many of you voted Democrat over the past few elections? It is a Dem controlled goverment that is actively pursuing most of the closures. They are the one's with "global climate change" agenda.

S
Sep 10, 2005
Grand Junction, CO
The combination of having no concept of where they get the stuff they need and lack of understanding what the situation on the ground in the western us gets us where we are today.

IMO

True, but how many 4m menbers here are also members of all the hunting and fishing groups on this list? It is not just the uninformed easterners that are supporting these closures.
We all need to read the policy statements of any group we join. And ask for a list of the organizatons they are aligned with.

Hey, I see that Ford is on the list. Do we all have to sell our Ford trucks? And so is Chevy.

We have to add Spot trackers to the list as well along with SmartWool.

My Christmas list is getting smaller by the minute.

Last edited:
P
Nov 26, 2007
Obviosly we will not be able to "boycot" all of these companies. But we should know the list and when possilbe use our purchase power. In many cases it is very easy to purchase brand x rather than brand y.

There are other oportunities to have input to some of these companies as customers that we should also be aware of and use.

We should take the effort to make sure we are not ourselves a member of organizations that work against us. That can be prevented.

IMO

Coors

Well its been two days and no responce from coors they promised on their
website a 24 hour answer unless they needed to get more information
gathered for a responce .............
so we wait ...
it was an easy question i thought!!

we all need to email and question the companies on the list
many may not even realize what they are supporting

I think I will be sending the list to our local snowmobile clubs
let them all get involved
no one can make a difference unless we start somewhere
look how large and fast our list grew
lets keep it going if we change a couple companies views on the list
this is a huge success
JMHO:beer;

O

Oregongirl

Jul 25, 2002
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Like I said.....

.....this topic will make you crazy!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

I suspect that 85% of the products we use daily are from companies that are supporting the "green movement" in one way or another.

If you know that a company or an organziation FULLY supports the obliteration of motorized recreation....like REI, Patagonia, Keen....where they post it publicly on their websites or sponor grants, etc...then by all means boycott them. Sending email to these types of organizations is not going to do any good - they don't care. For them, it's like a spiritual destiny. They are going to "save the world"....while racking in the $M. (..yak...I think I just puked at little in in my mouth)

If they are simply on the OIA's member list....it's probably becuase they are forced to under today's public opinion/social trends. Whether you buy from those vendors or not, should continue to be a personal choice. We drive Fords, I have a ton of Coleman camping supplies, I wear Klim w/Gore-tex.......the list goes on.....

UGH! My head hurts!!

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
eh, I think this is great but..I really think the approach we are taking is wrong. Personally, we should be looking at ways to change the perception of what it means to preserve land from closure to fair and sustainable usage.

It's an uphill battle for us to argue to anybody who doesn't sled, or use ORV. It's a very easy argument to make that we should "protect" our forest by not allowing ORV. It's easy for somebody who is impartial to get behind it the "protect our wilderness agenda". As to be honest it seems like the "correct" thing to do, who doesn't want to see our national forest preserved on some level or another?

To me the issue isn't that we shouldn't be protecting our natural resources, our forests and our wilderness, but what the definition is to protect it, and what the definition of "wilderness" should be. Wilderness should be a designation for the protection of an area in regards to development, not recreation. I would very much like to see the areas I enjoy sledding in, to be preserved and maintained for future generations, and myself to be able to enjoy by the recreational means we choose. The arguments need to change from debating about closing, and not closing areas to, how to create a program that allows for sustainable usage of our national forest by recreational users of all types. When that happens all these companies, and impartial people will be able to get behind something that is both a benefit to the environment and ORV enthusiasts like ourselves.

Until then, when kids are thought in school how important it is to protect our environment, the only solution they are given is... ...and you do so by making it off limits. Which as far as I'm concerned is a falsehood, the more areas that are restricted, the more impact that is done to what areas are left unrestricted do to over usage. If we opened up more acres, it would spread out the usage creating a more sustainable solution in terms of impact to the environment. If it were up to me we'd be taking the approach of learning how to best recommend multiusage for sustainably.

So, with that said I don't think the answer is to boycott every company that tries to get a little publicity throwing some money to what seems to them like the the correct thing to do, but instead to give them a better option to support, a new "green movement" of sorts that both supports the preservation of our environment, and our rights to usage!

P
Nov 26, 2007
Brahm, You do have a good point except one thing. The real problem is that the public is convinced that the current regs will lead to all the destruction of our lands, so "something must be done" . The reality is that the current regs more than protect our national treasures. The state of all national forests is much better than they were 40 years ago and constantly improving due to the current regulations in place. The real solution is to convince the public that there is no problem to correct.

R
Nov 26, 2007
East Chester Idaho
Brahm, You do have a good point except one thing. The real problem is that the public is convinced that the current regs will lead to all the destruction of our lands, so "something must be done" . The reality is that the current regs more than protect our national treasures. The state of all national forests is much better than they were 40 years ago and constantly improving due to the current regulations in place. The real solution is to convince the public that there is no problem to correct.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that but to give you a pilot's perspective of the state of our forests; They're dying at an alarming rate in the areas I fly accross (Montana, Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho Utah and California) Oregon looks pretty good. IMHO it's from the regs that don't allow harvesting when it needs to happen and Fire policy.

P
Nov 26, 2007
revpilot, Isn't that from the pine beatle? The greenies are never going to be in favor of more logging logging. They would much rather close the forest to all human use and then let the pine beatle kill it all(natural causes) and wait till the deadfall burns it up.

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
revpilot, Isn't that from the pine beatle? The greenies are never going to be in favor of more logging logging. They would much rather close the forest to all human use and then let the pine beatle kill it all(natural causes) and wait till the deadfall burns it up.

Ya I was going to say I thought it was from the beetle as well. Either way though I think we need a new approach away to tote the "conversation, preservation" line while still making sure it doesn't exclude ORV. I believe we'd be able to get more mainstream support behind our cause as right now we are very out numbered.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
So I see a list of companies who you feel that you interact with who knowingly, or unknowingly battle against your freedom to snowmobile.

I don't know where to start.
We can do nothing and b!%ch and moan that our lands are closed.
We can join a group who will fight the fight for us.
We can take a proactive aproach (do something ourselves).

So here is your list:

3M
Addidas
Adidas
AMAZON
Atlas snow shoe
backcountry.com
Backwoods Equipment
Black Diamond
blue water network
bud
Cabelas
Camelback
chevy
Coleman
Columbia
Confluence Watersports
Coors
Deckers Outdoor Corporation
dodge
dominos pizza
ducks unlimited
Duofold
EMS
Fat Tire Beer
Fedex
ford
Google
Gore Enterprise Communications
Gore Tex
Home depot
Horny Toad
Ibex
Keen
Leatherman
Levis
LL Bean
Mammut
Marmot
Merrell
Microsoft
Mountain Equipment Co-op
Mountain Hardwear
MSR
Nalgene
Nantahala Outdoors
Nature conservancy
New balance
Nike
Nissan
North Cove Outfitters
North Face
OIA
Osprey
outdoor DIVAS
Patagonia
Pfizer
pheasants forever
Prana
Quaker oats
Red Wing Shoe Company
Reebok
REI
River Sports Outfitters
Rosemont Ventures, Inc
Rutabaga Paddlesports
Sara Lee
sierra club
Smartwool
Smith optics
Swiss Army
The Alpine Experience
The Ascentials
The Coleman Company
The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
The Sportsman Skii Haus
Timberland
Turtle fur
U.S. Govt
Velcro
VF Outdoor Inc
Vibram
Waypoint Outdoor
Woolrich

You'll never see Source Innovations Ltd., on this list!

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
I've given up trying not to buy from companies that support orgs. and want to ban us, there's just too many.
That list above should be 10X longer if you listed EVERY company that had some kind of ties.
The problem is that this going Green thing is a FAD and everyone likes to be part of a FAD. Hopefully when this FAD dies out we won't be gone with the FAD.
It's GOTTA be reaching it's peak here...god I hope it is.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that but to give you a pilot's perspective of the state of our forests; They're dying at an alarming rate in the areas I fly accross (Montana, Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho Utah and California) Oregon looks pretty good. IMHO it's from the regs that don't allow harvesting when it needs to happen and Fire policy.

You need to fly over SE OR between Klamath Falls and Lakeview... 330,000 contiguous acres of dead lodgepole.
I have to agree with you... people have this perception that lots and lots and lots of trees is the greatest thing ever, and cutting trees down? :eek: What they don't realize is that the forests are choking themselves literally to death. Too many trees, too much competition, stands fall apart and since cutting trees is such a bad thing, they are left there. Then comes a lightning storm one day and POOF... big fire where historically the burn would have been much smaller and actually done good things for the landscape rather than burn so hot that it nukes the soil.

Premium Features