• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bore or boosted 850

I
Nov 26, 2007
I'm at 3250 on a stock engine Etec 800 (2013). Runs well now but I'm right at 295 hours of run time. I'm not a trail rider but certainly not the hardest rider on equipment out there (well, my sleds appearance may make me a contender! ha). Warranty is up November 15th so I'll be scrutinizing this motor before I let that lapse. Compression, crank run-out, and pull head. I don't like blowing things up, rather do preventative work, but I also don't like throwing money down the drain needlessly.

Assuming no idle time your average track speed is 11mph. If you had 50% idle time your average track speed is 22mph. That, in my mind at least, proves Reeb's point. To get an etec to last you have to baby it.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
This is a brand new sled. I'm sure there are well engineered systems in the works...but how many well-tested systems are there... In a PRODUCTION consumer model...with production ecu and all other items...

If it is your only sled... let someone else be the R&D team. Till next season.

Already a stroker motor... this thing rips from what I've seen.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Assuming no idle time your average track speed is 11mph. If you had 50% idle time your average track speed is 22mph. That, in my mind at least, proves Reeb's point. To get an etec to last you have to baby it.

Haha, well, I'm not sure I baby it, but I don't pull the rope and pin it on a trail all day either. My riding style isn't a big chute climber or meadow masher where it might be easier to hold it pinned, and I'm no pro in the trees but it's where I like to be. I guess there's quite a bit of catching my breath and trying to see the next gap in the trees! But, if my style makes a sled last, thats good with me. Maybe I learned how to be easy on them after having a Polaris for a few years :face-icon-small-win

N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
Boost

I vote boost. I'm gunna build the sled up w other components first... Then go to boost after while. I rode it and it rips. W little more weight cut good shocks and minor things its capabilities will expand. Then I'll run boost. My Axys has boost and was super reliable last season pull and go. 3-4 days a week in winter riding never once stranded not bad....the new 850 is gunna b fun

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
Haha, well, I'm not sure I baby it, but I don't pull the rope and pin it on a trail all day either. My riding style isn't a big chute climber or meadow masher where it might be easier to hold it pinned, and I'm no pro in the trees but it's where I like to be. I guess there's quite a bit of catching my breath and trying to see the next gap in the trees! But, if my style makes a sled last, thats good with me. Maybe I learned how to be easy on them after having a Polaris for a few years :face-icon-small-win

Quit being modest. Goinboardin rips trees and gnarly lines all day. Haven't seen one guy keep up with him in the Snowies yet (not that there aren't guys that can, just haven't ridden with one yet). ICR is confused. I've seen the guys and videos of the guys Rulon rides with too, no babying in these parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sledhead685

Premium Member
Jan 12, 2012
Laramie
Quit being modest. Goinboardin rips trees and gnarly lines all day. Haven't seen one guy keep up with him in the Snowies yet (not that there aren't guys that can, just haven't ridden with one yet). ICR is confused. I've seen the guys and videos of the guys Rulon rides with too, no babying in these parts.

According to Professor Rasmussen, he's about 2 minutes of WFO away from being able to upgrade to a turbo.

I
Nov 26, 2007

Maybe he's burandts idol. Maybe he lets his sled warm up for four hours then keeps it pinned for one. I don't know, never rode with him. I simply pointed out his average track speed indicates his sled doesn't spend much time at high rpm so it makes sense that his engines last longer than others. I'm just here to talk about engines, didn't mean to rile up the boyfriend brigade.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Maybe he's burandts idol. Maybe he lets his sled warm up for four hours then keeps it pinned for one. I don't know, never rode with him. I simply pointed out his average track speed indicates his sled doesn't spend much time at high rpm so it makes sense that his engines last longer than others. I'm just here to talk about engines, didn't mean to rile up the boyfriend brigade.

I assure you I am not his idol.

Back to topic, I'm sure no one cares about my riding.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Not sure what happened to this thread..
In my experience the etec800 has been a dream. Compared to the dragons, pro's, 800r, and the 10-15 cats.
No comparison! Period!

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY

That made me chuckle. I think his high hours are a direct result of all of the garage boondockin he does. But honestly, could part of the reason that sleds seem to last longer at high elevation is because of the loss of power riding at 10-12k vs lower elevations creates less overall stress on the engine? 70% power at 10k elevation based on a 3% power loss for each 1000 ft elevation gained, correct? I had almost 3500 original miles on my cat M1000 before I got rid of it with no noticeable loss of power and no engine issues up to that point.

Premium Features