• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocker Reactor Muffler

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Yes, we use packing that is held in containment with perforated metal
I'm quite interested but concerned with the packing losing effectiveness through time. Any videos without packing for comparison? Granted it won't be apples to apples but noise is a concern of mine as other have stated.

Super excited about the product and noise levels you've been able to manage!

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Yes, we use packing that is held in containment with perforated metal

I'm happy that Boondocker is pushing the lower noise levels-- we all need to be more responsible users.

Is the muffler repackable? My concern is that over time, the five year old 800 or 850 with your muffler will be godawful loud-- something that we see with current mufflers that don't offer chambered baffles.

nytro41

Premium Member
Oct 11, 2008
Some where in the hills ID
"Nobody knows better"... that is not true Steve. The boondocker product is of reasonable quality at this point, but to say it is the best product out and nobody can do better is incorrect. Anyone who grew up in Idaho falls and saw the evolution of BD should know better. As far as factories preempting your main revenue stream, changing is all you can do to stay in business into the future. I would not expect you to say anything different. Rocky should have sold when he had the chance.

Your kind of a hater aren't you? Like wow bud boondocker is a great company. so is silber. so is mtn tek. so is speedwerx. have they made mistakes....yeah they all have.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I thought it would be much quieter but it sounds pretty decent.

It has a nice tone, but if it is louder than stock, that would probably be a deterrent for me.

The only real way to truly compare them is by using s dB meter at the same distance from the exhaust exit. Can even download an app for your phone. . . . pretty simple.

Maybe they would be willing to do this . . .?

M

MarleneeSteven

Aug 17, 2009
Idaho Falls, ID
www.mountainsnowadventures.com
MarleneeSteven ......the website says "There is a noticeable increase in performance from a colder operating temperature"... can you expand on this statement in terms of performance?
the way the muffler works, under normal operation (ie, not plugged) the design of the muffler allows it to draw under-hood heat out of the engine compartment. Lower temps mean better belt life and clutch operation, primarily. You can feel that it "likes" having less heat because the clutching just feels better when it's not hot. Hope that makes sense.

M

MarleneeSteven

Aug 17, 2009
Idaho Falls, ID
It has a nice tone, but if it is louder than stock, that would probably be a deterrent for me.

The only real way to truly compare them is by using s dB meter at the same distance from the exhaust exit. Can even download an app for your phone. . . . pretty simple.

Maybe they would be willing to do this . . .?
We'll publish more as we get these production runs tested to be sure, but on all of our prototypes, the mufflers were within +/-0.5 dB (sometimes louder, sometimes quieter, depending on the tester/day/conditions) than stock using the DNR Test (brake applied, hold 4000 RPMs, record dB from 13.5 feet from vehicle, 4 feet high). At WOT, the mufflers were consistently about 1dB louder than stock. The muffler passed the DNR test (requires 88dB or less). To be fair, let's call the stock muffler 79.3 dB and the Reactor muffler 79.8 dB, so yes, slightly louder.

If it's a frame of reference, we've tested other quiet/trail mufflers in the past, that usually registered around +4 to +6 dB,

We'll get a video shot and publish the final data here in a bit. I mostly just wanted to let you know it's very similar in the amount of noise, if not slightly louder. You do notice the sound gets a lot more defined. The OEM muffler has a very "blurry" sound, whereas this muffler is much more crisp.

Hope that helps you make a decision!

Finnlandr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 21, 2009
Parts Unknown
the way the muffler works, under normal operation (ie, not plugged) the design of the muffler allows it to draw under-hood heat out of the engine compartment. Lower temps mean better belt life and clutch operation, primarily. You can feel that it "likes" having less heat because the clutching just feels better when it's not hot. Hope that makes sense.

It does.... appreciate your feedback in this thread.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
We'll publish more as we get these production runs tested to be sure, but on all of our prototypes, the mufflers were within +/-0.5 dB (sometimes louder, sometimes quieter, depending on the tester/day/conditions) than stock using the DNR Test (brake applied, hold 4000 RPMs, record dB from 13.5 feet from vehicle, 4 feet high). At WOT, the mufflers were consistently about 1dB louder than stock. The muffler passed the DNR test (requires 88dB or less). To be fair, let's call the stock muffler 79.3 dB and the Reactor muffler 79.8 dB, so yes, slightly louder.

If it's a frame of reference, we've tested other quiet/trail mufflers in the past, that usually registered around +4 to +6 dB,

We'll get a video shot and publish the final data here in a bit. I mostly just wanted to let you know it's very similar in the amount of noise, if not slightly louder. You do notice the sound gets a lot more defined. The OEM muffler has a very "blurry" sound, whereas this muffler is much more crisp.

Hope that helps you make a decision!

I would be interested in the sound levels (dB) of the production run mufflers. If they are indeed +/- 0.5 dB, then that is impressive and might tip the scale in the direction of a purchase. The price is of course the next factor.

Another thing would be to test the sound level as you roll on the throttle, and through the RPM range, just like you are doing in the video. 4000 RPM might be near stock levels, with 3/4 to full throttle being much louder than stock. One can only compare accurately by putting a camera on the dB meter, and test both stock and aftermarket mufflers while going through the entire RPM range. Would you be willing to do this, so that those (like myself) that are on the fence could see the true dB levels of both?

As a side note, i am VERY encouraged to see that we are heading in the direction of QUIETER mufflers with real performance, rather than louder ones with "pseudo power". GREAT JOB in that area for sure!!!

Last edited:

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Can you post some more pictures of the can, like the back and bottom of it ?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I saw the price on the boondocker website. Are these really $439 for JUST the muffler that only saves 8 lbs?

Um Yes?

Let’s see, it’s a quiet muffler lighter than stock that has features no other muffler available on the market does.......

What more do you want?

Boondocker is in business......... businesses must make money or they are no longer in business!!!!!!!

pay the money or don’t pay the money, either way it’s their “business” to set a price that the market will bear.

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
I have no idea why manufactures would ever post on here.
Instead of just looking at the product and deciding it’s not for them the keyboard jockeys feel the need to question a successful companies business plan moving forward and complain about their pricing.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I guess the question is, do we need a fancy muffler that flows when the snow is deep? The only problems I’ve seen with any of the new sleds is when the i takes get plugged in the super super deep days. I haven’t had an exhaust choking off problem on any sled in many years.

M

MarleneeSteven

Aug 17, 2009
Idaho Falls, ID
Reactor_Muffler_Passive_Heat_Exchange.png

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
I guess the question is, do we need a fancy muffler that flows when the snow is deep? The only problems I’ve seen with any of the new sleds is when the i takes get plugged in the super super deep days. I haven’t had an exhaust choking off problem on any sled in many years.

Still happens to me every now and then. Usually I can feel it coming and clear it out, but I'm not always in a position to do that. I'm already happy with the silencer I have, but this feature on the Boondocker is the most interesting to me.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Sheetmetalfab - do you own this muffler or had any experience with it on your sled?

To the MFG. - - - a few more questions . . .

So we have established that the price of the muffler alone is $439.

How about the amount of weight savings? Is it just 8 pounds as some have said?

Will there be a pipe that goes with it that is properly tuned and sold as a " pipe/can set"?

Also, are there any power gains with this muffler - as in dyno runs that will accurately compare stock to this one?

Will there be a side by side test against the stock muffler using a dB meter (there is a free app that works pretty good) to see the actual loudness as you roll slowly through the entire RPM range?

I am not sure i completely understand how a muffler exit, when it is plugged with powder, "draws warn underhood air" out and "pulls cold air into" the engine compartment. Can you explain further?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Sheetmetalfab - do you own this muffler or had any experience with it on your sled?

To the MFG. - - - a few more questions . . .

So we have established that the price of the muffler alone is $439.

How about the amount of weight savings? Is it just 8 pounds as some have said?

Will there be a pipe that goes with it that is properly tuned and sold as a " pipe/can set"?

Also, are there any power gains with this muffler - as in dyno runs that will accurately compare stock to this one?

Will there be a side by side test against the stock muffler using a dB meter (there is a free app that works pretty good) to see the actual loudness as you roll slowly through the entire RPM range?

I am not sure i completely understand how a muffler exit, when it is plugged with powder, "draws warn underhood air" out and "pulls cold air into" the engine compartment. Can you explain further?

Just go click the link in the OP.

Your questions are mostly answered on the website.

I don't have any affiliation with Boondocker, nor have I been around one of these mufflers.

(I even use their competitions turbo kit)

Your little "passive aggressive / whiny customer" Act is pretty funny but you seem to keep ignoring / expressing skepticism about anything attested by boondocker.

The "I'm confused/ skeptical act, about features attributed to a product" is the oldest game in the book. (Pioneered by Kelsey with RKTEK) Easily seen through and always recognized as Trolling.

YOU! and people like you! Are the reason manufacturers avoid forums.

If they respond, they lose......... Pure and simple.

Premium Features