• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills Snow Conditions 1

M
Feb 2, 2016
Deerfield Conditions (South 2) Mt Meadow Restaurant Gas & Store

We got another 2 1/2 inches of snow today and it is still falling! Reports yesterday were that the snow is generally good all the way on 2 South to Mt Meadow (but 1 9 and 8 are even better!) and this new snowfall is gravy - happy riding!

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Off trail conditions are improving. You still have to be slow and carefull in the trees. I rode some this morning for fun. Found some good snow and never got more than 3 miles from Trailshead. The fun stopped when throttle cable on my M7 broke. I had to pull the cable out of the sheath, tie a loop in the end, use some electrical tape to hold the knot and tighten the loop. I ran the cable through the hood, around the fuel rail and hook it on the sync adjusting bolt on the throttle body. Pulling the cable by hand gave me about a quarter throttle enough to get me out of the woods and back to Hardy. Trails are in great shape and it was snowinf good when I left this afternoon.

Attachments

• 20170127_111338.jpg
    20170127_111338.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 68
P

ped

Oct 22, 2011
York NE
Help

I'm looking to make a quick trip to the Black Hills with some friends. I am from Nebraska and typically ride in Wyoming and Colorado. I have not made it out West yet this year. Therefore I do not have a valid Wyoming or Colorado non-resident snowmobile permit for the season. What do I need to get in order to be legal in South Dakota?

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
I'm looking to make a quick trip to the Black Hills with some friends. I am from Nebraska and typically ride in Wyoming and Colorado. I have not made it out West yet this year. Therefore I do not have a valid Wyoming or Colorado non-resident snowmobile permit for the season. What do I need to get in order to be legal in South Dakota?

Either your resident Nebraska permit or purchase a 5 day temporary SD permit for $40.

P

ped

Oct 22, 2011
York NE
Need snow report

Looking for a snow report of the black hills, how is the off trail riding? Never been to hills so have no idea what to expect for this time of the year. Thanks

stumpjumper007

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
Eastern SD
Looking for a snow report of the black hills, how is the off trail riding? Never been to hills so have no idea what to expect for this time of the year. Thanks

Went out this weekend, mostly trail riding in the lead and Deadwood part of the trail system... Trails were very good for the most part... Ran into some thin spots around mystic hills area, but far from bare. Off trail wasn't very exciting as there hasn't been much for new snow this month, but the base is really starting to set up... Didn't see much for traffic in that area, and the trails held up well.... Unfortunately it was 55 degrees when we left today...

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Is this typical snowpack for the hills this time of year?

I researched the snotel data for the 2 snotel sites in the BH which dates back to 2004. The average for January 29th runs at 18-19 inches. Currently Blind Park is at 18 inches and North Rapid Creek is at 22 inches. So I would say we are at typical for this time of the year. The snotel data for 1/29 varied from 3 inches in 2005 to 34 inches in 2009.

FarmND

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2015
We are planning a trip for March 15th to the black hills. I know predicting if there will be enough snow to ride is impossible. But would like to know from your past experience how common it is to ride around that time frame. We will just have to do a little sight seeing if the snow is gone.
Thank you sdsnocop for the reports you give. Very helpful for those traveling long distances to ride. We have done the last 3 New Years as Spear Fish Canyon lodge. I always check for your report to let our group know how things look for snow before coming down.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
We are planning a trip for March 15th to the black hills. I know predicting if there will be enough snow to ride is impossible. But would like to know from your past experience how common it is to ride around that time frame. We will just have to do a little sight seeing if the snow is gone.
Thank you sdsnocop for the reports you give. Very helpful for those traveling long distances to ride. We have done the last 3 New Years as Spear Fish Canyon lodge. I always check for your report to let our group know how things look for snow before coming down.

Historically I'd say that would be too late for much more than a hard & crusty trail ride, but perhaps this year could buck the trend? You would really just have to have impeccable timing and hope for one of those bizarre 4 ft snow dumps that typically comes early to mid April.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD

In the past 25 years I have been patroling the BH I have only seen maybe 2 years that you could not ride on March 15th. You need to watch the weather as the date gets closer. I have seen some real good conditions that time of the year. Just be prepared to have to make changes in plans. I would say based on my experience you will have a 75% chance of having a good to excellent ride March 15.

FarmND

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2015
Well that gives me a little more hope:face-icon-small-blu Would be nice to be able to ride when the days are a little longer in March. When we are there on New Years the days are pretty short. Thanks again sdsnocop!

M
Feb 2, 2016
SIX FRESH INCHES OF SNOW AT DEERFIELD LAKE

Conditions were good and they're getting better every hour! Six fresh inches of snow in the Deerfield area! Take in South 2 or 1 to the lake & refuel at Mt. Meadow -- 9 and 8 are both great options for new routes in and back out--- we LOVE this snowfall today!

skivoice

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2012
Aberdeen, SD
Yeah I would love to ride except I'm stuck on the cold no snow side of the state with a boss that won't let me off, oh yeah and a wife that wouldn't allow it either.:ballchain:

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
8-9 inches new snow in the Trailshead area. Less as you go North and much more as you go South. A solid 12-14 inches down around junction trails 1 & 8. Pictures were taken in that area, Waist deep snow. I also went North to the head of Breakneck Gulch and found the stray cow that had been attacking cross country skiers in the Roughlock Falls area. She does not look too happy. Trails in great shape and off trail improving daily.

Attachments

• 20170201_144916.jpg
    20170201_144916.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 158
  • 20170201_144931.jpg
    20170201_144931.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 103

doozy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 23, 2012
needs to be licenced in your state , no trail permit in SD. made the mistake of not getting my tags up to date , didnt think until were halfway there from iowa, but thought if i buy a sd trail permit id be ok , turns out they dont have trail permits, only rode 2 days but of course 20 miles from being done riding for the weekend we came across 2 gf&p guys , last 20 miles was expensive , $120.00 it really was a honest mistake on my part , i know i know , still my responablity to check things out before i leave home , just heads up everyone else to make sure you are good to go ,

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
needs to be licenced in your state , no trail permit in SD. made the mistake of not getting my tags up to date , didnt think until were halfway there from iowa, but thought if i buy a sd trail permit id be ok , turns out they dont have trail permits, only rode 2 days but of course 20 miles from being done riding for the weekend we came across 2 gf&p guys , last 20 miles was expensive , $120.00 it really was a honest mistake on my part , i know i know , still my responablity to check things out before i leave home , just heads up everyone else to make sure you are good to go ,

If you do discover your snowmobile license is expired 5 day temporary permits are available at most snowmobile trail lodges. They cost $40. Just be sure you pick them up before you unload and ride.

skivoice

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2012
Aberdeen, SD
Just bought the kids a 120 was wondering if it needed a license to be risen out there off trail in the meadows and maybe a little on the trail right close to to the trailer unloading area. The gfp office here didn't know.

Premium Features