• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills Snow Conditions 1

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Time to start the Black Hills conditions thread. Just got back from 4 days at Hardy. The internet did not work so this is my first opportunity to post. Groomer training was held Thursday and Friday and I patrolled Saturday and Sunday. The snow has settled to 12-18 inches. Some of the areas North of Trailshead is already getting beat up by the traffic. The areas the groomers did train on left a good base for this early in the year. Right now your best bet is to stay on trails located on FS lands and unplowed roads. Off trail is very risky. Seen quite a few broken trailing arms this weekend. Even following trails on FS lands can be risky in areas that does not have a groomed base. I thought I was on the trail and must of veered too far to the left and found a rock. Now with my new sled not been properly trained or broke it kicked me in the thigh with its handle bar and face planted me in the snow. Of course the sled was not hurt but my inner thigh is one big bruise 1 inches above my knee to 2 inches below my groin. I punished the sled by making it pull out a Subaru stuck on an unplowed road. My sled and I now have an understanding and it will not do that again. I found snow conditions to be good for early December North to Spearfish Canyon and South to Black Fox. Some of the roads South on 1, 8 ,and 11 are still being plowed. Next week I start the pre-season trail inspections which most will have to be done by snowmobile. My new Skidoo e-tech has 26% of breakin after this weekend. I should have it broken in by next weekend. Trygstad Motors was at Trailshead this weekend testing their stuff. I got a chance to ride one of their 927 big bore kit equipped Skidoo's. Very impressive sled.

halffast800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2011
Hazel SD
We rode south of dumont on Saturday Decent snow. We were the first down the trail. Found 1 meadow and 1 hill to climb. Found 10000 rocks and 100000 stumps but no damage. Ride easy but totally worth it just to breakin new sleds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

halffast800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2011
Hazel SD
d37244ff91b373e4986afe6b60a57479.jpg

R

Raff_9001M

Nov 27, 2007
Looks like a fresh 8" of snow today. Always nice when the actual snow totals far out do the predicted

halffast800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2011
Hazel SD
Some buddies are out there now. Said south of trailshead was pretty awesome. Still not great but enough to sled on. Already better than last year I think.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Just finished with the last of my trail inspections tonight. Groomers will be going out tomorrow afternoon. There will be decent snow for them to make trail all the way into Lead, Deadwood, and Big Hill to the North. There were some thin and windblown areas on 7 between Mystic Hills and 7C, Trail 7C was thin in areas. West into trail 3, Cement Ridge down to Buckhorn should make decent trail. East to Dumont has good snow. South through Black Fox should turn out good. South through Mallow Camp and 12 and 12B will be good except for a few plowed logging areas, Trail 8 and a portion of 1 from 8 South and to 11 had been plowed due to logging. Trail 1 once you get past the plowed portion of FS117 is good all the way to 6 mile road. Trail 9 has snow cover all the way across but is icy due to vehicle traffic. Trail 2 South of 8 is spotty to Flag Mountain with areas of blown off gravel. Some ridable snow from Flag Mountain to Mountain Meadow. South of Mountain Meadows and 6 mile road are not good. 4-8 inches of snow predicted on Friday. Off trail is still risky. Riding unplowed roads should be good. Next storm is suppose to have some wind with it but very cold. Currently have 500 miles on my new patrol sled. If anyone finds a chrome Ford wheel cover on trail 2 down by Deerfield it is off my vehicle.

SODAK-DOO

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2015
eastern south dakota
being from eastern south dakota i look at the trailshead camera about once a day this time of year, and noticed something interesting on the gas price sign. Most of the time they must have had premium, which was about $3 a gallon, and 10% ethanol i assuming that that was around $2.50. But now i see there is only one option and looks to be $4 a gallon.:face-icon-small-dis

whats the deal with that? did they jack up the price for snowmobilers?

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
being from eastern south dakota i look at the trailshead camera about once a day this time of year, and noticed something interesting on the gas price sign. Most of the time they must have had premium, which was about $3 a gallon, and 10% ethanol i assuming that that was around $2.50. But now i see there is only one option and looks to be $4 a gallon.:face-icon-small-dis

whats the deal with that? did they jack up the price for snowmobilers?

They were running ethanol and low octane fuel for the summer ATV traffic. They have now switched over to all 91 octane no ethanol.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
-32 at Hardy Camp Saturday morning. At -20 I lose both phone and internet at the cabin. Trails are in great shape. Even made it to Mountain Meadows today. You still bump some rocks and gravel on Trail 2 South of 8. Some are venturing off trail but you have to take it slow and carefull. Still the conditions for December are the best I have seen for a long time.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
heading out Monday myself. Should be a good time to ride! It was looking like sioux falls was going to get a lot of snow too, but looks like they backed off on that thank goodness.

S
Dec 2, 2007
Sergeant Bluff
Food Mallo Camp

Thanks for all your replies snocop hope to see you and buy your coffee. Did the restaurant west of mallo camp open their trail this year or is that a off limits deal.

Premium Features