• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills Snow Conditions 1

doozy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 23, 2012
CANYON SPRINGS

So whats up with canyon springs , do they not want snowmobilers there or they just dont have access for snowmobilers to get there?

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
They no longer wanted to be on the snowmobile trail so the trail into Canyon Springs has been removed. They do not want snowmobiles to access their property. They had issues with snowmobiles wandering off trail on their property when the trail went into their place. They are open Thur - Sun evenings for supper but by wheeled access only.

S
Dec 2, 2007
Sergeant Bluff
They had great food

That's to bad. It was a great place to eat. I wish they would reconsider.

They no longer wanted to be on the snowmobile trail so the trail into Canyon Springs has been removed. They do not want snowmobiles to access their property. They had issues with snowmobiles wandering off trail on their property when the trail went into their place. They are open Thur - Sun evenings for supper but by wheeled access only.

SDPowderRider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2010
Central SD
We spent three days over XMas in the BHills. Rode mostly back country with some trail miles as well. Back country report from my view.
XMas Eve: 12"-18" base with a slight crust in the open areas, sugary in the trees. Land mines still in play, but great riding in open meadows that are stump free. Overall great riding day, esp for this early in season. Some of my fav bunny trails had tree downs yet :-( We found many miles of untracked playgrounds south and east of Trailshead. Base is beginning to establish!
XMas Day: Bitter cold and sleet. Goggles were iced over every mile or so of riding. 5 of us rode to Trailshead from Deer Mtn cabin for lunch. Lunch was great! Cold, cold day with wind chill temp around 0. Groomers were not out. Imagine had holiday off.
Monday 12/26: Snowed 8-10" of fresh for Monday morn. Perfect day for riding. Found plenty of off trail with over bumper deep....Fun fun day with not a lot of traffic (Yet).

Heading out again this weekend!

15665881_10202740185703295_628539785087393293_n.jpg 15731813_1385115738189283_1358010064287140694_o.jpg 15675799_1385127728188084_3918524820141499285_o.jpg 15741215_753183538168044_2669249904542252128_n.jpg

Last edited:
K
Jan 20, 2016
Was just woundering ware all the snow is at, first time in area. Plain on going to trailshead and go from there. Hopping on getting there this Thursday.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Traffic has been very heavy the last 3 days. By afternoon trails are tore up pretty good. Sleds have been venturing off trail. Meadows are setting up well but still have to be careful. Tree riding is still risky but many are venturing in the trees. Snow in the trees is mostly sugar. Some good windblown areas can be found if you look. Conditions are still good though if you consider it is still December. Our current snowfall to date equals what we had Feb 2 last year. Snowing lightly right now with more predicted for Monday. Currently have over 1000 miles on my new patrol sled.

S
Dec 2, 2007
Sergeant Bluff
Trails

Snocop is right on. Lots of sled traffic and bumpy trails in the afternoons. The best groomers anywhere had smooth trails ready for us every morning. Stay away from stump areas as the stumps are right under the snow. :bowl:

R
Nov 29, 2016
Wife and I are headed over for a few days January 14th. I know that is still a couple weeks out so a lot can change but just wondering how thing are now that the holiday traffic died down? Looks like it will get cold again.

W
Jan 4, 2017
Deadwood Trail going south to trail system.

How is the trail from Super 8 in town south toward trail system ? My wife and a friend of ours are coming out Jan 20 thru Jan 28. We know a lot can happen before Jan 20. We are watching the weather daily and noticed a warm up might be coming this weekend Jan 8 for a few days. We are driving out from Peoria, Illinois. We have never ridden out west before and are very excited about ridding the Black hills. We only trail ride no off trail ridding for us. We have only ridden Wisconsin and Michigan UP. We are coming that week also for snocross. Any advice would greatly be appreciated as we are driving along way for this trip

Thank You Rick

Last edited:

skivoice

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2012
Aberdeen, SD
Leaving tonight was wondering how much fresh snow since Monday, also how's it looking for unloading at spearfish Canyon Lodge. Will post impressions of first ride on Fri night.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
The trail comming out of Deadwood is in good shape. This weekends warmer temps will have little effect on the trail as long as the traffic is not too heavy. Traffic midweek has been light due to the fridged temps which has given the trails time to set up. 2-4 inches new snow Monday. Trail going out of Spearfish Canyon in great shape.

skivoice

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2012
Aberdeen, SD
After 2 days of riding we found that anything South of Trailshead was flare as a pancake, however the farther north and west the better it was. Was really cold both mornings but as the day wore on it became tolerable. The whole system could use another good shot of snow. The trails were in great shape a little bumpy on 3 and anything right around Trailshead due to the traffic.

skivoice

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2012
Aberdeen, SD
Just a side note for the Snocopp, the warming shelter on 1 by the intersection of 4A the matches were wet and would not strike, we used our lighter to get it stated this morning, my fingers need a pick me up this morning.

Premium Features