• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills Conditions 4

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Presidents weekend is over and it is time to start a new conditions thread. Trails took a beating over the weekend but most are still holding. It is getting harder to find untouched snow but it can be found. Snow forcast looks very promising for next week.
Tonight - 100% (2-4 inches)
Mon - 20%
Mon Night - no snow
Tue - 40%
Tue Night - 70%
Wed - 70%
Wed Night - 60%
Thur - 60%
Thur Night - 40%
Fri - 30%
Fri Night - no snow
Sat - 20%
Sat Night - 30%
Sun - 30%

C
Feb 28, 2011
We have a group out here at Spearfish Canyon Lodge now. The trails are in great shape. I have found very little off trail that I'm not worried about hitting something, or did hit something. If your lucky enough to find an untouched area though, it is pretty deep and bottomless. I'd say we found most places with 2ft, some with a bit more, some with a bit less. All in all, good riding with the winter we've been having back in Iowa.

92 coupe

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2009
IL
Sorry for sounding like a complete newb but have never rode out west, is there decent off trail riding around the hills that doesn't require avy gear? Is there any avy areas in that area? How is the trail riding, decent amount of trails, any stops to warm up/eat? Thanks

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
No need for avy gear. 350 miles groomed trails. Several lodges and places to stop and eat, get gas ect. Warming shelters can be found on the trail in areas where there are no lodges nearby.

vdo1948

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern South Dakota
Geologically speaking the Black Hills are very old mountains meaning they are worn down. I've never seen nor heard of a meaningful slide in the Hills. The trail system is very good, good off trail riding, a very good place for a first timer out west, IMHO. However, if you are looking for steep hills to climb and cornices to jump you won't find them in the Hills. There are number of trail stops though you do need to pay attention a little. They are probably not as well spaced or numerous as what you are used to in the midwest. Hopefully, that's enough info to get you thinking about other questions.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
Sorry for sounding like a complete newb but have never rode out west, is there decent off trail riding around the hills that doesn't require avy gear? Is there any avy areas in that area? How is the trail riding, decent amount of trails, any stops to warm up/eat? Thanks

Trails sled set up right will be a blast in the hills. I use to ride a 600 trail sled. In the hills you can ride most any where, if you cross a fence you are on someone else's property this year all the fences should be easy to see. I use to find a hill side off the trail and try to pick your way up though the tree's. Usually you will have to turn out or get stuck. This is good practice for mountain riding. If you get stuck up hill with a major trench behind you, I recommend rolling sled on hood and pivoting it back down hill then roll it back on the track. Best part is that all you buddies can try and see if they can get higher while your stuck. This practice is not recommended in the mountains as the other riders can trigger a slide. No chance of this in the black hills.
Most of the riding is 6000 to 7000 ft or 5 to 9000 set up. You can get gas at plenty of places. Most people ride near trails head because that is where the good snow usually is. Trailshead lodge and Buckhorn are two of my favorite places to eat and drink. Spearfish canyon is a little too artsy fartsy for me, but some like it.

92 coupe

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2009
IL
Cool thanks everyone for the responses, will have to try and get out there.

U
Dec 12, 2007
Custer, SD
Rode from ditch creek lot up to buckhorn and then back down through mallo to six mile road and back to the lot. Played a lot off trail down south and found lots of untouched areas with good snow. The further north I went stuff was beat up pretty good.

Duane, who is plowing six mile road? I was surprised to see it pushed open and even met a red full size pickup on it.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Rode from ditch creek lot up to buckhorn and then back down through mallo to six mile road and back to the lot. Played a lot off trail down south and found lots of untouched areas with good snow. The further north I went stuff was beat up pretty good.

Duane, who is plowing six mile road? I was surprised to see it pushed open and even met a red full size pickup on it.

I do not know. Were they plowing the portion to the west used for trail 13?

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
3-4 inches fell Sunday night. Snowing off and on today under an inch. 2-4 inches predicted for tonight. Snow chances still on track through the week with most days increased chances by 10% except Wed night - Thurs night which stayed the same and Saturday night which increased from 30%-60%. Sunday night and Monday was added to the forcast with 20%-30% chances.

Storm47

Premium Member
Jan 26, 2010
Sauk Rapids, MN
Great ride in the Hills

Just got back from my first trip to the Hills on our sleds. Our group had a great time! I was in sugar snow up over my knees as we helped my wife get unstuck 3/4 up a good climb in the trees. We would bump off of stumps once in a while, but not too bad. The groomers did a great job keeping up with the traffic and we found super flat fresh groomed trails on Sunday. Our favorite was 2c around to Black Fox camp ground (I think that is what it was called). Again, a big thumbs up to the groomers!! Also, thanks for all the great updates on the conditions and info.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Been snowing hard all day. Just recently let up some. 8 inches at Hardy since noon. Total 15 inches new snow. Snow just as heavy to the South as far as Juct. trail 1 and 9. Less snow in Lead, Deadwood and Spearfish canyon. I decided to stay at Hardy tonight since roads are bad and it would take me 3-4 hours to get home and have to turn around and be back in the morning.

R

Raff_9001M

Nov 27, 2007
NWS is saying locally up to 18"total for this storm. Blind Park snotel up to 37" roughly a 15" jump in 2 days. Better late than never and good timing for all the locals.

Premium Features