• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black diamond avy pack

cadams

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2009
ND
Does anybody have any reviews or info on this pack.? The fan that fills the pack and then 3 minutes later it reverses the fan. Sounds like a brilliant idea.... But does it work?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
I saw the release video they did. It looks like a really good idea to suck it in and give you an air pocket after three minutes. And it said it can fill itself three times on a single charge I believe. I would like to know if anyone has used one too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
I know this is a touchy subject, but you might look and see what black diamond donates money to before you buy from them. Not trying to ruff any feathers, just a little friendly info.

Good info, wasn't aware!

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
well,,,,

If it were up to Black Diamond and the organizations they generously donate to, snowmobiles would be eliminated from the planet......,,,,, so,,,,,,,, ya, not good for us..

cadams

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2009
ND
Gotcha. Well then hopefully someone else comes out with that technology

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
yeah, hopefully

Sounds pretty cool, I wonder what the weight difference is between it and traditional Avy bags?

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
Thanks for the info. Any idea where one can find out the exact organizations that Black Diamond supports financially?

I was going to wait for this Avy Pack to come out but wont' give a dime of my money to an organization that doesn't support diversity in public land use.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I saw the release video they did. It looks like a really good idea to suck it in and give you an air pocket after three minutes. And it said it can fill itself three times on a single charge I believe. I would like to know if anyone has used one too

think id rather have a canister than depend on batterys

weelbodj

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2011
Here is a list of Corporate Sponsors who support Winter Wildland Alliance. Let's be sure to support those companies who support us!!

10410893_10205728547076796_4918322370667566074_n.jpg

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Pipes is the company that engineered the turbo fan Avy pack thing and BlK diamond helped, but I think I was mostly pieps who make the beacons and etc that came up w the technology. Not sure who/what pieps donates to.

R

RMOD800

Nov 18, 2008
Wow! there's a lot of companies on that list that I use to purchase gear. How disappointing is that. I guess we need to start voting with our dollars and then maybe the extremists will believe in multi purpose land use. Sure is sad, there's a lot of good outdoor products manufactured and sold by those companies.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Gotcha. Well then hopefully someone else comes out with that technology

This technology is sweet. I'm totally set up to make my own. I can 3D print anything, I'm into R/C stuff, like ducted fans, and I know a bit about Arduino. I can sew too(don't tell any of the guys). Should be able to adapt a bag to my Klim backpack for less than $100. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

Bowtie496

Lifetime Membership
Jun 7, 2010
Carey, ID
Thanks for the info. Any idea where one can find out the exact organizations that Black Diamond supports financially?

I was going to wait for this Avy Pack to come out but wont' give a dime of my money to an organization that doesn't support diversity in public land use.

Winter Wildland Alliance, look at their website, see what they stand for and they have a list of their donors and how much they donate. Then decide for yourself.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Winter Wildland Alliance, look at their website, see what they stand for and they have a list of their donors and how much they donate. Then decide for yourself.

You're far too diplomatic ;)

So I'll say it: Winter Wildlands is the group that sued and won the national precedent setting case in Idaho last year (along with snowlands and some other groups who can't seem to find a wilderness area on a map). This case is now forcing the entire US forest service to establish winter recreation plans that specifically deal with the exemption to over snow vehicles that many of them used. Winter Whinerlands is also pushing hard for limiting osvs to established graded summer roads when these plans get revised.

5 grand isn't huge with what it took these whiners to spend in the case. But black diamond should know they're excluding, and actively working against a huge potential customer base who might otherwise be buying their cool new product. They honestly not even know. They have a marketing budget and many of these groups just cage themselves as 'promoting backcountry use'. They're not even honest about what they really do.

This is their stated mission "Winter Wildlands Alliance is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting and preserving winter wildlands and a quality human-powered snowsports experience on public lands."

What they spend most of their money on is: "banning snowmobiles anywhere I might choose to get out of my car in the winter"

But anyway. Here's BD's list if you want to see.

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/sustainability.html#advocacy

Last edited:
S
Oct 15, 2008
I have one and it's a heavy pack. Used to carry std pack weighing about 13# so I will be moving non-essentials to a tunnel bag to bring the weight down to similar area.

Fan intake is encapsulated inside pack so FM ingestion is a non issue as the pack itself is the filter. Works fantastic and I like the idea of having a pack that you are willing to deploy irregardless of the size/magnitude of the slide as it only takes a few minutes to repack and has multiple potential deployment opportunities per charge.

Premium Features