• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Ski

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Fwiw, I recently tried a new cmx ski on my ktm/yeti kit. As others have mentioned, I also was frustrated with the yeti ski in crusty conditions. My fx/mototrax kit has a TS backcountry ski. I only tried the cmx ski on the yeti kit. My impressions of the cmx were that it is the best of the three on the trail, holds a straight line on the trail. I felt I could ride faster with the cmx than either of the other two but just marginally better than the yeti ski. In the powder the cmx was similar to the yeti although I think the front of the yeti ski comes up out of the snow slightly better/faster than the cmx. The cmx is a bit better at holding a sidehill/washout than the backcountry. Unfortunately, the cmx was harder to turn in most all conditions and resulted in considerable additional fatique at the end of the day. Both kits have been moved forward from stock and have shortened strut rods. Both kits have less ski pressure than stock. So, with the cmx quick turns in the trees were more challenging and the additional fatique/shoulder pump was such that I went back to the yeti ski. But, unfortunately, I did not ride my bike with the yeti ski in the same day/conditions for a timely comparison to the yeti ski. I did trade with a riding partner on a yeti ss kit with a yeti ski and the input required to turn the ski was alot less than the cmx on my bike, very noticably easier. After hours of the additional effort to turn the cmx ski it was not fun anymore. When comparing the yeti to the cmx, the cmx does not have the wider front as the yeti and the cmx is slightly longer behind the spindle bolt so has a little more tail to turn, otherwise appears very similar to the yeti and has the same mounting system.

So, no silver bullet for me as I was hoping. If we stayed out of the trees and rode mostly powder I think I would stick with the cmx ski on the yeti. Still looking.....

T
Jan 26, 2019
Pemberton BC
Fwiw, I recently tried a new cmx ski on my ktm/yeti kit. As others have mentioned, I also was frustrated with the yeti ski in crusty conditions. My fx/mototrax kit has a TS backcountry ski. I only tried the cmx ski on the yeti kit. My impressions of the cmx were that it is the best of the three on the trail, holds a straight line on the trail. I felt I could ride faster with the cmx than either of the other two but just marginally better than the yeti ski. In the powder the cmx was similar to the yeti although I think the front of the yeti ski comes up out of the snow slightly better/faster than the cmx. The cmx is a bit better at holding a sidehill/washout than the backcountry. Unfortunately, the cmx was harder to turn in most all conditions and resulted in considerable additional fatique at the end of the day. Both kits have been moved forward from stock and have shortened strut rods. Both kits have less ski pressure than stock. So, with the cmx quick turns in the trees were more challenging and the additional fatique/shoulder pump was such that I went back to the yeti ski. But, unfortunately, I did not ride my bike with the yeti ski in the same day/conditions for a timely comparison to the yeti ski. I did trade with a riding partner on a yeti ss kit with a yeti ski and the input required to turn the ski was alot less than the cmx on my bike, very noticably easier. After hours of the additional effort to turn the cmx ski it was not fun anymore. When comparing the yeti to the cmx, the cmx does not have the wider front as the yeti and the cmx is slightly longer behind the spindle bolt so has a little more tail to turn, otherwise appears very similar to the yeti and has the same mounting system.

So, no silver bullet for me as I was hoping. If we stayed out of the trees and rode mostly powder I think I would stick with the cmx ski on the yeti. Still looking.....

Do you have your TS ski on your Mototrax spindle?
I like my Mototrax ski in anything soft but it's darty as hell on the hard. I do like a fair bit of ski pressure though as I find it holds a better edge hard carving pow.

E
Dec 19, 2007
Thanks for the cmx reviews. I've been waiting for one for a while. Just wondering how fluffy was the snow when you thought the steering was too hard? Or do you just mean on the road? Any one want to try to go extreme wheelie mode and shorten strut even more and slide forks up in the clamps for a retest?

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Tri, yes I have a TS ski on my mototrax spindle. I didn't use the mototrax ski very long. I think I gave it to a buddy. I don't remember how it worked but I know I liked the backcountry better.
Eric, it was in Afton between Xmas and new year. Snow was soft for few inches then in most areas a couple inch crust. Under the crust was all sugar, wouldn't stay on shovel. So, not abnormally hard, kinda average conditions. On the same surface the other bike I mentioned turned way easier. Now, I did spend a lot of time following two bikes and in their trench frequently which contributed to the fatigue. But I never remember being so wore out in upper body in few years of doing same on different ski. Btw, rode one day with Tom H. Also, steering was comparatively harder in every situation. It is an aggressive ski and if one (younger stronger) can tolerate the additional force needed would be great ski...

E
Dec 19, 2007
I wish my icy trail moments were rare but this year we have an 8 mile road ride to get to the good snow because there is no snow at low altitudes where the gate and parking lot are.

I always felt like in any kind of pow the steering effort never bothered me except on the yeti when I would have to force it to straighten out if there is even the slightest crust layer.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I personally don't find heavy steering an issue. Probably my skiing background but I only turn by leaning in all but maybe the slowest tight little icy trail moment that is so rare.

Here's a little go pro footage from the other day just as my main bearing on my track started squawking.

You do turn the bars quite a bit in this video? ?

T
Jan 26, 2019
Pemberton BC
You do turn the bars quite a bit in this video? ?

I think that is more of the bars naturally falling a bit when leaning because I am certainly not trying to manipulate them. With the vibration from the kx500 I try to barely touch the bars. Twist the throttle and half hold on with left but lightly. Even on icy trails I hold very light and don't try to muscle the bars. My front ski is all over the place but I just stay loose and go with it. Kinda like riding a dirt bike super fast through really rough terrain. You will be all over the place but as long as you stay loose and fast you will continue forward.
When I first started snowbiking I would try to muscle the bars and keep it straight. Crazy arm pump.

Premium Features