• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yeti Ski pulling/jerking on side hill with firm snow.

S
Sep 4, 2021
utah
2022 yeti, spent half the day enjoying the ski in the woods and the other half scared for my life as I dropped cornice into it pulling me down the hill, then if im sidehilling on firm snow it pulls hard up the hill, it was not fun. The ski is great in deep powder and doesnt wash out in deep powder like traverse ski. The trail it turns easy and does well at low to medium speeds. When pushing it I feel i cant lean into the corner like I could on the traverse ski.

Any non biased opinions about ski's, Does the aro ski bolt to the 22 yeti spindle? Does the CMX have the same issues? It was borderline unrideable and almost caused me to ride up or down into some trees.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
We have them all… for sure that is the weak point of the yeti ski the death crust… we just climb higher or go to a different side of the mountain. The traverse works best in the crust but for sure not as good on the ride out and really I don’t like it more in any other situation… so you just have to pick the one you are happiest with the majority of the time..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M
Jan 14, 2004
Small adjustments in the soft strut make a big difference in the handling. I actually lengthened mine as I had the bike set up a bit too slack and it was squirely. Start with getting the trail handling correct. I can stand on my bike in 5th gear pinned and its rock solid stable, feels like I'm on wheels. I'm very impressed with the 2022 Yeti spindle and ski. I've been running a full Yeti front end on my bike for the past few years now, I think it was a 2017, this new 2022 front end is way better. I have the Elka 5s and I have them set up pretty plush, they are a really nice match to the front end. Crust has always sucked on the Yeti front end but if its crusty I'm not riding there anyways.

M5

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Yes to be clear yeti is my favorite ski overall for where I live.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Yup fiddle with your strut rod. I try to set mine so the rear of the skid is 1/4 or 1/2 in off the ground when resting on a garage floor. Wheels removed.

S
Sep 4, 2021
utah
I was
Yup fiddle with your strut rod. I try to set mine so the rear of the skid is 1/4 or 1/2 in off the ground when resting on a garage floor. Wheels removed.
it is 1/2 inch up in the rear. The bike handles just fine in most conditions. but in Utah in the steep of Snake Creek and other areas its almost unrideable sometimes. It didnt happen once the first 3 hrs yesterday, but as soon as I went across a few hills on other side of the mountain it was just unbearable.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
So I ride snake creek a good bit … my strut rod is set so low that the rear of the seat is almost slanted chopper style ever so slightly… I will see if I can get a picture … don’t mind riding at some point to see what can be changed… or Powerchicken Off-road in Heber is as much of an expert on set up as there is in town. But wind blown crust sucks to ride on unfortunately. I have never had any issues in the trees though.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I have always taken 1/2 the height material off the center and side runners. That takes much of the bar feeback out and works great '

E
Dec 19, 2007
Here is a pic of yeti and cmx next to each other for reference, I’ll be using both pending conditions and more testing.

View attachment 382680
Please keep us posted about the cmx.I never hear much about it and was hoping it would be the perfect ski.

I personally like the yeti the best in the soft pow and the old ts ski the rest of the time. Unfortunately the yeti has ruined enough rides that I sold it. If I had a more accurate crystal ball it definitely would be worth swapping on the yeti for soft pow days.

D
Feb 23, 2017
Cascades
ya, tough to predict conditions, and i doubt there is a perfect ski, but it seems the yeti ski likes the pow and not much else... maybe the cmx is a good all-around compromise... hoping to get on the cmx ski with updated setup/suspension tweaks soon, most likely this will be a full season experiment unless there is a positive night and day difference on the first ride out. ?

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
I have yeti and cmx skis. As discussed, yeti sucks in crust. I have 20-25 hours on a cmx ski on yeti kit. Cmx is better in crust but in all conditions harder to turn. I took the cmx off as the effort to turn slowed my reaction time and wore me out. Same bike same setup yeti ski is much easier to turn and work in quick transitions. Crusty conditions cmx doesnt pull uphill and goes straight great, just hard to turn.

D
Feb 23, 2017
Cascades
Good info, have you ridden yeti ski in mashed potatoes or spring like conditions? Last ride out The yeti ski literally acted like a front brake for me, even had others ride it to confirm it was doing it and I wasn’t taking crazy pills… clean ski, no build up on bottom… no clutch slip… I literally had it pinned going down the trail and everyone left me like I was sitting still ?‍♂️

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
daloof, I have 200 plus hours on yeti ski. Yes in the right conditions, mashed potatoes, warm dense snow, I have found the yeti ski much more likely to aquire sticking snow in the ski, expecially after a stop. I've been on my side more than once because the ski was full of snow and would not turn. I have experienced something similar to what you describe because snow was packing in the ski. I found the cmx is less likely to do this. When I remember, yeti ski, I try to pull the bike backward before I take off and that mostly dislodges the snow. I also have 400 plus hous on TS backcountry ski. Unfortunately, I have not found a perfect ski. I might try the cmx on my 22 kit as I can raise the forks and reduce ski pressure more than my 18. If the cmx was as easy to turn as the yeti or backcountry I would be running that ski. I'm curious about others experience with the cmx as well.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
We have a few CMX complete ski kits here at shop if someone needs"

C3 PowerSports

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2010
Sicamous B.C
www.c3powersports.com
All you guys and girls need to do is lean the bike only the opposite way that the ski is pulling keeping your body in the same position and it all settles out. I don't even notice when I hit that crusty stuff anymore as now it is so intuitive riding with the Yeti ski.

Every year I spend 10-15 rides on other skis and kits just to keep my perspective and not forget what the other skis are like.

K
Sep 22, 2016
Bend, Or
Swapped to a CMX ski after a few shocking experiences on the yeti ski and new spindle (‘22). I actually enjoyed my ride in the less than ideal conditions today. I live in an area that has plenty non powder days. CMX rode well in conditions that would have been terrible or best case, a challenge on the yeti. I would have decided not to ride today if I had not had the CMX ski. Just some food for thought if you can’t always pick and choose your days and conditions. Sounds like guys with tons of time can work through the challenges of the yeti ski, but I am not one of those guys. Now I have the best of a wide variety of conditions.

Premium Features