• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Of The 2015's Out Of The Box

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
By now hopefully most of us have have ridden or ridden with various 2015 mountain sleds and wondering which sled out of the box does best in the deep snow.

#1 for me is the 174 XM granted nobody else has a 174 so it's expected to lead the pack in the deep. I'm still going to pick the 163 XM like the 174 it a tractor in the deep snow as well.

If you have ridden 2015's what are your observations ? In a few weeks the 2015's will be old news as the forum chatter turns to the 2016's. :face-icon-small-hap

DPG

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Pro is the best sled out, the Terrain Dominator is the best Pro out of the box. Cast bulkhead, running boards, weight, belt drive, carbon fiber, coil over suspension, width, response to rider input, the list goes on and on. Do give doo thumbs up for the etec and tmotion, they took the worst handling mountain chassis and turned it into something worth riding.

Last edited:

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Climbing is hands down the 174 doos, the 163 xm is not much behind it. Put the 3" 163 on the pro and its real close to the 174 doo. The pro is still the best sidehilling sled on the market. Its silly the line you can hold on those sleds.
I still like my 155 pro, if its really deep bottomless powder I just let the 174's break the trail out :)
Its going to be a tough call on what to get next year. Hope poo gives us all new for 16. Eric

06redrevx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
Have not ridden any of the 2015 s other than my RMK PRO but it is so spot on and ready to ride right out of the box. The new clicker shocks are heads and shoulders above the old Walker Evans. The mapping is so crisp. Puts a smile on my face all day long!

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Let me go out on a limb here but I bet everybody picks the sled they spent too much money on lol

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
My '14 holdover Pro is better than all of your '15s because it was thousands less... for the same sled.

Great sled, for sure. BUT, I'd put my '15 snow check standard RMK 163 with E-start, Walker Needles, extra cooler, chain drive, etc etc against it $ for $. Absolutely love how this sled handles, and I've only got 92 miles on it so far....

M

mwgiant

Feb 4, 2008
I road my 174 t3 this weekend for the first time went from a 12 xp eteck i was absolutely amazed at what it went through and how easy it will fall over. I can grab the grab bar with one hand no foot on the tunnel and easily pull it on its side. I road with 3 13-14 pros and they were all impressed and said i was cheating. The guy that was bragging about his pro summed it up when he said he follows the t3 in when it's deep,if you're pros better you shouldn't have to follow a t3

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
the pro is still probably the easiest sled to ride in super technical terrain, lots of things going on doing that for them, 15 is no different then its been since 11, just little refinements along the way, very fun chassis to ride that will make just about anyone look good. im still impressed with how well they get the weakest stock motor put the power down so well.

The T3 packages from DOO have really impressed me. I knew the 174 would work well purely off the footprint and having seen them in the past (the 174x3 that is), but just the proper cluthching and gearing on them 163's and 74's from the factory have made them a VERY imrpressive stocker that flat go in the deep. for the deep, bigger slightly more open terrain of say BC I think the new DOO is hard to argue with in either length. its my choice of ride as i have always ridden over the motor steering since the rev was around, so feels the most natural.

The cats, haven't had much time on, they make great power and are fun. The 2.6 pclaw was a killer track, wanting to put miles on a new 3" unit. just sort of a fat body on them that seems to drag in the snow a lot more then the poo and Doo when getting into tight terrain.

C
Dec 24, 2014
Great sled, for sure. BUT, I'd put my '15 snow check standard RMK 163 with E-start, Walker Needles, extra cooler, chain drive, etc etc against it $ for $. Absolutely love how this sled handles, and I've only got 92 miles on it so far....

Sounds heavier than my buddies Assault!!

Lessee... don't need 163, don't need e-start,heavier shocks, much less efficient drive system etc etc.

I think you read too many horror stories on the forums before you ordered that machine. Then you paid thousands more than me for a heavy version of the sled banking on increased durability? The motor is still only good for 1500 miles on a top end, that was the only "upgrade" the sled needed. I don't see how any of that other stuff really helps at all?

A
Apr 20, 2011
Kaslo B.C
I'm a cat guy through and through, but I got a chance to ride a 15 xm 154 and loved it. I wouldn't even think about the 174 T3 but that's just because I'm not a big fan of 20 foot long sleds. The handling on these sleds is unreal and when it's time to get a new ride I think I might have to jump ship and go to the dark side. Sorry Kitty cat, it's been a good run!!

Sneak A Peak

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2013
Washington State
Have not ridden any of the 2015 s other than my RMK PRO but it is so spot on and ready to ride right out of the box. The new clicker shocks are heads and shoulders above the old Walker Evans. The mapping is so crisp. Puts a smile on my face all day long!

X2. Comming from a Gen II that i could throw around pretty good. 112 miles now, and i am learning how not to transfer to much energery. I have to say, this thing is nice. No reference for the others, but i know this thing will take me places i have no business being. Love it!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
the pro is still probably the easiest sled to ride in super technical terrain, lots of things going on doing that for them, 15 is no different then its been since 11, just little refinements along the way, very fun chassis to ride that will make just about anyone look good. im still impressed with how well they get the weakest stock motor put the power down so well.

The T3 packages from DOO have really impressed me. I knew the 174 would work well purely off the footprint and having seen them in the past (the 174x3 that is), but just the proper cluthching and gearing on them 163's and 74's from the factory have made them a VERY imrpressive stocker that flat go in the deep. for the deep, bigger slightly more open terrain of say BC I think the new DOO is hard to argue with in either length. its my choice of ride as i have always ridden over the motor steering since the rev was around, so feels the most natural.

The cats, haven't had much time on, they make great power and are fun. The 2.6 pclaw was a killer track, wanting to put miles on a new 3" unit. just sort of a fat body on them that seems to drag in the snow a lot more then the poo and Doo when getting into tight terrain.

That is wierd for the cat. I agree on the bulky wide feel but it was mainly my thoughts on the 12 cat. If set up properly the new cats don't feel like that. The doo is the fattest body and boards out there. The xm also has a tendancy to stuff the front end and take the snot out of you if you crank them around. Didn't notice this on the cat or the new t3.

It is hard too deny how good the new t3 is. I never thought I would like a 174 but that thing is really fun. Nothing else will come close to it for climbing. Does that mean it is the best out of box? I don't think so. It all depends on what you want and what you are doing. They are really good and they all have a few things they do better than the other so I don't think there is a best out of the box.

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Sounds heavier than my buddies Assault!!

Lessee... don't need 163, don't need e-start,heavier shocks, much less efficient drive system etc etc.

I think you read too many horror stories on the forums before you ordered that machine. Then you paid thousands more than me for a heavy version of the sled banking on increased durability? The motor is still only good for 1500 miles on a top end, that was the only "upgrade" the sled needed. I don't see how any of that other stuff really helps at all?

So worried about weight, geesh. This is a do it all machine....as my family gets into sledding, I'll have less percentage of riding really deep stuff, so the extra cooler helps out a ton when I'm teaching the wife and kids. But, the 163 works awesome for when I DO find my schedule matches mother nature and I get to ride in epic conditions. The shocks are superior to the stock Pro RMK's on your sled, and the electric start is worth every ounce to me. The painted rails and suspension parts carry FAR less snow than the bare aluminum of my wife's '14 Pro, so the weight is a wash while on the snow anyway. Plus, my '15 is the most refined Pro chassis on the market, and will be worth more than your '14 ever will be.

Glad you're happy with your purchase, and I know I'm happy with mine. To me, this is the perfect sled for my needs. No other manufacturer puts the options out there for us riders like that.

Premium Features