• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bend in tunnel rail and edge ?

biggdaddy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2008
I have a bend in my left running board towards the back behind the snow eleminators and in the edge how big of a deal is this? Also i was thinking of trying to hammer it out as good as i can and sandwich it between a couple pieces of alum for strength. Really dond want to replace tunnel what options are out there? Thanks in advance.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
In my experience, Aluminum doesn't bend back so good. use some heat on that rail edge, it might bend back without cracking.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Holy smokes ! Thats not kinda bent, thats like fell off a trailer and got t-boned by the truck behind you bent. So the rail edges are pretty reasonable, ($40-$50) I would start drilling some rivets and get a new rail edge to replace that one, After you get the no-snows and the rail edge off you should be able to straighten that tunnel out pretty easy. Hows the bracket that the suspension bolts to? While your at it you may want to have a look at the cooler line under there, make sure it isn't about to break, that would be a bad day on the hill. Is there damage to the bulk head? what are you showing us besides the bent up exhaust deflector ? That piece should be easy enough to straighten out, doesn't need to be perfect, just good enough that it isnt blocking the exhaust.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Another thing to consider is to update the tunnel like the 09 and newer M's. IT can be done with stock cat parts for $60-$70. 09 bumper and 09 gussets.

biggdaddy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2008
Rixster ? On tunnel mod

I was thinking if i did a tunnel mod that might help i just bought this thing like this not sure if tunnel is bent yet. Its a 06 M7 162 LE with only 600 miles i am trying to get a sled together for my son who is in the navy will be home in time to ride so trying to do it half way inexpensive. I was thinking exactly what u said but wasnt sure of parts ect. I have never done any sheetmetal or tunnel work. How hard is it to change cooler line? The rear suspension bracket on that side is definately closer to track then the other side im hoping i van maybe get it away if poss after doing this. Any info would be greatly appriciated. Thanks i want to have something for him to go ride when he gets back.

M
Apr 25, 2013
Vancouver island
You can straighten out that tunnel with a hammer and dolly if you anneal the metal first. Easiest way to do this is with and oxy torch.turn the oxy on so you have a sooty flame, run the flame across the aluminium so it leaves black soot on it. Turn the oxygen on and burn the soot off. The soot burns off before the aluminum melts. This process resets the grain structure of the aluminum making it softer and easier to work back. The more you work a piece of meal without annealing the tighter the grain structure gets and the harder metal gets. That entire area is "work hardened". Also never hammer directly on the dolly. Always hold the dolly under a low spot and hammer the high spots. Hammer on dolly could fatigue and crack the thin aluminum. Hope this helps.

Premium Features