• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arctic cat prototype snowbike

J
Jan 12, 2018
Check out what is in the background in the attached picture. Looks to be a prototype purpose built snowbike. This was snipped from a Arctic cat catalyst review video by snowtrax tv.

catalyst snowbike.JPG

A
Nov 14, 2017
Cool that they are looking at something like that.

It looks huge though! I can barely lift my snowbike up when it falls over now LOL. Can you imagine trying to pick that thing up?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Check out what is in the background in the attached picture. Looks to be a prototype purpose built snowbike. This was snipped from a Arctic cat catalyst review video by snowtrax tv.
Looks like the patent application they have had since 2017.

With the blast motor.

C

crossrider

Nov 16, 2013
The interesting part is this picture might be a few years old as this is just in the clay mold stage. If AC came out with a purpose built snow bike that would be wild. Even if it wasn't as nimble/light as a current snow bike but has more power and less maintenance would get my attention. Somewhere between a snow hawk and timbersled/yeti.

E
Dec 19, 2007
Nothing new here it's an old project that I've been told that AC isn't working on anymore.
I agree we need a purpose built frame with the lower center of gravity and proper geometry. But I would disagree on anything that would add more power but also add more weight Is not going to be an improvement at all. That being said if they make a purpose built frame it will be at least 30 pounds lighter so they could make the engine 30 pounds heavier and still be what we have today with better geometry and more power. I still can't see a good way for a CVT to fit and keep the weight down and I don't think CVT will ever be more reliable either? Just adding the weight of the spare belt makes me cringe ? backwards progress.

J

JimBridger

Mar 11, 2013
SE Idaho
I think an internal integration of a cvt into an engine case will be the future of purpose built snowbikes. A metal banded one similar to what the auto industry uses, with a countershaft location in a similar spot as the dirt bikes drive is now. It has to be something like this to keep the ergonomics the same as a bolt on kits that have driven the fun and popularity of the sport.

A
Nov 14, 2017
I've never ridden a sled before. What is the big deal about a CVT? I personally like shifting gears, but without ever trying a CVT I dont know why it is better. It seems like a lot of weight and size to add.

BeeDoo

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
UT
Personally -- and maybe it's just me -- I kinda like the challenge of shifting and finding the right gear at the right time. I know it's not for everyone. I've had my wife jump on and she just puts it in 2nd and leaves it there. But I kinda dig it even if it means I occasionally get stuck or don't make it where I'm trying to go.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I've never ridden a sled before. What is the big deal about a CVT? I personally like shifting gears, but without ever trying a CVT I dont know why it is better. It seems like a lot of weight and size to add.
there's allot of weight penalty and bulk with CVT, good and bad things with it , Keeping the weights and ramp profiles for your elevation is parament so lots of tuning required just like sleds. the gearbox is solid and i have no issues with it , Weight is everything on the snow and i designed custom sled clutching and sold all over the US so its down my alley. spring rates also need changed for specific elevations , It not just install and forget about it.

E
Dec 19, 2007
You might argue a cvt could keep a 2 stroke in the power bubble better but now most snow bikes are 4 strokes it's super easy to stay in the power band on a 450…no cvt for me ever. And I'm a 2 stroke guy so when I get on my 4 stroke my brain shuts off and I don't need to pay attention at all to make it go..

A
Nov 14, 2017
Thanks for the replies. I personally love shifting gears and the "connected" feel it gives me. I have never liked automatic transmissions in cars for the same reason.

I also love having a clutch. Being able to slip it, drop it and abuse it adds a lot of fun to riding bikes.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Thanks for the replies. I personally love shifting gears and the "connected" feel it gives me. I have never liked automatic transmissions in cars for the same reason.

I also love having a clutch. Being able to slip it, drop it and abuse it adds a lot of fun to riding bikes.
If we could make one as reliable, and low maintenance as cars that would be awesome. Personally it just sounds to me like more stuff that would wear out just like the snowmobile’s do. Constant maintenance on the sled clutches. I don’t miss that.

Premium Features