• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone ever put a 670 in a Cat chassis?

W
Nov 26, 2007
RENNER SD
Hi

I have an '01 Snopro 440 and was thinking about maybe putting a doo 670 in it, long tracking it out to a 151 or so. I was going to try to find a wrecked sled and just swap everything into the cat chassis.

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with a project like this?

Thanks

Wreckmaster

the sled shop

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2008
lisbon NH
work & time

with enough work and shop time and the right materials and knowledge and research-anything is possible

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Been down this road before. While in theory this is a great idea, the 670 rotary engine really is a nice one to mod from because it makes great power for what it is, the swap has a lot of obstacles to overcome.

You need to figure out what engine mounts your going to use and then make some measurements to see how close the carbs are going to be to the jack-shaft/ bulkhead... On most chassis we found that without raising the engine up a ridiculous amount height wise and ruining the center of gravity of the sled the engine wont fit. Biggest problem is the carbs wont clear because of the rotary design... then after the fact no matter what you run your going to have to get pipes made.

This is what limits putting the engine even in a Rev chassis.... Ive only seem very few chassis that were able to accept the 670 rotary engine due to this fact without being modified hardcore.

Ive seen them in the Wedge, a Yamaha Triple Mountain max chassis and in 1 rev. The rev was a summit and was pretty sick with the 670 in it.

Not saying its not possible, but its one of the harder swaps to do.

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
i've put both a 670 and 800 rotax in arctic cat powder specials...takes some work bending aluminum plates to make the motor mounts, but once that is done the rest is fairly easy...mine sat quite low in the chassis, no problem with carbs etc...custom pipes inc. made pipe for it, 801-829-5877, talk to mike...

W
Nov 26, 2007
RENNER SD
Thanks for all the replies.

I found a piled up '98 MXZ 670 today. It has a recent top end rebuild and the price seems fair. I really like that Sno Pro chassis just not the 440 thats in it. I think that I may try to make this swap work. My little bro can tig aluminum so fabbing isn't a big deal.

If all else fails I can sell the Doo motor and put the 440 back in the cat.

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
with all the parts around for the 8-900 cat engines and how good they were why try to put a 670 in a cat ??? And really "they make good power" Ok in its day cc to cc the HO was stout. But that was in its day. Heck guys think a 1M is so old school. If you were my best bud I do my best to talk you out of this. but dont know ya so good luck.
dont do it, IMO

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Hell yes do it!
Saw a 670 in a REv and it screamed!

A 900 twin would be ideal but those are still pricey compared to a 670. Besides the old rotary has roughly the same HP as Poo's new 800!!!!! Hahaha j/k....kinda

I got a mod in the shop at home with a UB 670 in it that'll get ressurected this summer or next fall.

Premium Features